Originally Posted by Buildthemskywards
Hi, I've asked questions about this before but I'm finding it do confusing! sorry in advance for all the questions!
I'm feeding Ziwipeak at the moment. Mylo is 14 weeks and weighs 3.8lbs. I want to supplement with a raw meal once a day as I hear that because ZP is nutritionally balanced I don't have to worry too much about balancing his meals. So, here are my many questions...
1. How much should I feed him? (he will be on 7g of ZP twice a day, 2/3 of the recommended amount)
2. Can I just start him on it or do I need to start little by little?
3. He's had a few loose stools lately... Should I wait until he's feeling better to start?
4. I've been recommended to give him chicken wing tips. I got some chicken wings for him yesterday...how much of it can I give to him? Just the tip? What exactly is the tip? (sorry!)
5. Can I give him other bones just to chew on?
6. What kinds of stuff can I give to him to vary it? Fish? Organs? Does it matter what I give if it's already balanced.
Sorry again for all the questions and thanks in advance for any help!
1. You can use a calculator such as this one: Calculate
I plugged in his numbers and puppies can eat up to 10% of their weight which would put him at about 4.8 ounces for one meal. This number seems very very high to me. I would start him out at about half that and then increase if needed. Too much food is a very common cause of loose stools.
2. I would just do your one meal of ziwi and then one raw meal later in the day. You could mix them if you want though.
3. I would wait until his stools are normal before starting a new food.
4. Chicken wings are best used for dogs on raw exclusively (not a premade like ziwipeak). I keep them in the freezer for the occasional loose stool as they work great for firming up stools. However, ziwipeak and other premades tend to be heavy on calcium/phosphorus, so I wouldn't give bony meals, that will be too much calcium for a growing puppy.
When using a pre-made with do it yourself raw, you won't need to add bones for the calcium, it's already plentiful in the ziwi. So I would just do meat only meals. Pork, beef, lamb, bison, venison, rabbit, any other meats you can find. Chicken and turkey is fine, but the nutrient profile of red meats is better, so try to keep it heavy on the red meat, light on the chicken.
5. If you want to give recreational type bones, use lamb ribs, pork or beef ribs, the knobby ends of chicken drumsticks, lamb necks are all good. You can use marrow type bones IF your dog is not a power chewer. They are usually not recommended by raw feeders because they can break teeth. However, in a tiny dog, they usually don't have the jaw strength. Use marrow bones at your own risk and discretion.
6. For variety, you can sure add in whatever you want. Most dogs seem to like sardines. Salmon or other oily fish are good as well (smelt). I would wait until he's fully transitioned onto various meats, eating well, and having good stools before introducing organs. But you certainly could add them in occasionally. Same with eggs.