Honey wont eat meat on its own... - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Diet and Nutrition > Raw Food

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Rachel
Location: Shropshire, England
Posts: 1,968
Thanks: 102
Thanked 297 Times in 281 Posts
Default Honey wont eat meat on its own...

Well, i've been feeding (or trying to!) Honey raw for a couple of months now. However, i'm still having problems. She looooves her bone in foods - chicken wings, necks, ribs etc. But, she wont eat just the meat on its own. No matter how i give it her, flash fry, cook for a bit longer, etc etc, she just wont eat plain meat.

Also, i want her to have a bit more variety, so have been trying her with different meats now her tummy is used to the raw, and she turns her nose up at nearly everything! The only things ive had success with is beef ribs and ham bones. I do keep trying her, i've even left her to refuse the same thing for a few days, thinking she will eat it eventually, but she didnt!

So, my questions... Do i keep on giving her bone in/on meat? She will eat from big meaty bones sometimes, but i swear she just prefers the chicken wings.

How can i get her to eat a better variety of meat, i need to start introducing organs etc soon, and i can just imagine what she will do with them!

Sorry for the essay!x
__________________


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Name: Melissa
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 3,471
Thanks: 189
Thanked 289 Times in 271 Posts
Default

Some people do just bone in meals but I'm not sure what you would do about the organs if she won't eat them since she needs them for a balanced diet. You could try different types of ribs so she gets the variety but doesn't eat the bone or you could try something like ZP so that the meal is balanced and then supplement with the neat she does like like I do?
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Wicked Pixie's Avatar
Administrator
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Name: Stella
Location: Frome, Somerset, UK
Posts: 5,713
Thanks: 230
Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,262 Posts
Default

Have you tried minces with bone in? Maybe that would get her used to different flavours, then you could add more plain meat to the mix. Green tripe? Most dogs love it (because it is so stinky!) and it is a great food for hiding organs in. Will she eat a cut of meat that has a small amount of bone, like a chicken breast portion with some rib attached?
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Rachel
Location: Shropshire, England
Posts: 1,968
Thanks: 102
Thanked 297 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildthemskywards View Post
Some people do just bone in meals but I'm not sure what you would do about the organs if she won't eat them since she needs them for a balanced diet. You could try different types of ribs so she gets the variety but doesn't eat the bone or you could try something like ZP so that the meal is balanced and then supplement with the neat she does like like I do?
I didnt know some people only did bone in? My understanding was 80% meat and 10% bone? I have been looking into the ZP, but having started on raw properly, i didnt want to give in just yet. Honey needs around 3oz of raw a day, how much ZP and raw do you feed Mylo? Wondering about the costs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Pixie View Post
Have you tried minces with bone in? Maybe that would get her used to different flavours, then you could add more plain meat to the mix. Green tripe? Most dogs love it (because it is so stinky!) and it is a great food for hiding organs in. Will she eat a cut of meat that has a small amount of bone, like a chicken breast portion with some rib attached?
She will eat a bit of beef mince, although i mean a bit, like a little starter! Turkey, goat even, its a no no. I wonder what else the butcher can mince! Bought some of the tripe you recommended from pet shop, she sniffed at it a bit and rolled it around her mouth! Again, i keep trying her with it.
If i give her a bit of bone with lots of meat attached, she will go straight for the bone, and leave the meat.

I will of course keep trying her with new things, but how much of a problem is it if her raw diet consists only of a small variety of things? As mentioned, chicken wings, necks, beef and pork ribs, maybe a bit of mince and tripe if she gets to like them? I need to find a way to get the organs in, i know that, but i need to know if she doesnt have a great big variety of lots of things and she never gets to like meat on its own, will she be ok on raw?
__________________


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:25 PM
MMS MMS is offline
chi king/queen
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Name: Marty
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 864
Thanks: 155
Thanked 235 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Have you tried giving bones with a higher ratio of meat on them? Legs/thighs/breasts?

Also, you want to make sure that you are getting GREEN tripe, from your butcher. The only tripe I've seen in pet stores have been processed, dried and bleached. You definitely want to avoid that. Green tripe is fresh and stinky, and well... green! Raw stomach, yum! (I think I threw up in my mouth a bit...) According to raw philosophy, this is where the dog would get it's green nutrients in the wild.

As far as making sure she gets the organs, you can try "whole prey" model for that. Throw her a mouse or a small rabbit (you may have to skin it or at least cute the head off/slice the neck to expose the meat and show that it's food and not just a toy).
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Wicked Pixie's Avatar
Administrator
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Name: Stella
Location: Frome, Somerset, UK
Posts: 5,713
Thanks: 230
Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,262 Posts
Default

Do you think it is the taste of bone she likes or the crunchy texture? If it is the taste, then the bone-in minces might help. Start as it is, then add more and more plain mince. Your butcher can mince anything for you, or you can buy pet mince that already has bone in. Some have offal too (DAF minces have both, you should be able to get that quite easily in your area)
Have you tried really big meaty bones? She wont be able to eat the bone, but will have to chew the meat off to get to it, that might work.
What about really tasty meats? Mine love heart, chicken and ox are their favourites, followed by lambs, pigs not so much. I can't believe she doesn't like tripe!
Is she eating enough? I wouldn't give up on raw just yet, unless she is getting skinny. How are her poos? If she is eating too much bone her poo will be hard, white and chalky.
Lots of people feed more than 10% bone, but my dogs get the chalky poos if they have more.
More variety is better, but chicken, beef and pork is much better than just chicken. Have you tried raw eggs or oily fish? Mine like sprats, mackerel and sardines, but prefer them still frozen.
Offal wise, mine only eat chicken livers willingly, all other livers have to be hidden in something else. If you cant get her to eat raw liver you can substitute dried which most dogs love, or cod liver oil. I'm not sure about the other organs though, whether they are still essential if she is getting liver. My two don't like pigs kidneys or spleen, but will eat pigs pancreas (sweetbread) and rabbit, chicken and lambs kidneys.

Marty, here in the UK the tripe you get from a butcher is always white, either washed, bleached or both as it is for human consumption. You can get green tripe in pet shops, it is a very popular food for dogs here. Lots of breeders use it as a staple. You can also get whole tripe directly from the abattoir, but that would keep one Chihuahua going for a very long time!
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2012, 02:45 AM
MMS MMS is offline
chi king/queen
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Name: Marty
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 864
Thanks: 155
Thanked 235 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Pixie View Post
Marty, here in the UK the tripe you get from a butcher is always white, either washed, bleached or both as it is for human consumption. You can get green tripe in pet shops, it is a very popular food for dogs here. Lots of breeders use it as a staple. You can also get whole tripe directly from the abattoir, but that would keep one Chihuahua going for a very long time!
Thanks for the clarification, Stella! I did not know that. It's kind of the opposite here, at least in my experience.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Rachel
Location: Shropshire, England
Posts: 1,968
Thanks: 102
Thanked 297 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS View Post
Have you tried giving bones with a higher ratio of meat on them? Legs/thighs/breasts?

Also, you want to make sure that you are getting GREEN tripe, from your butcher. The only tripe I've seen in pet stores have been processed, dried and bleached. You definitely want to avoid that. Green tripe is fresh and stinky, and well... green! Raw stomach, yum! (I think I threw up in my mouth a bit...) According to raw philosophy, this is where the dog would get it's green nutrients in the wild.

As far as making sure she gets the organs, you can try "whole prey" model for that. Throw her a mouse or a small rabbit (you may have to skin it or at least cute the head off/slice the neck to expose the meat and show that it's food and not just a toy).
Hiya, have tried legs and thighs yes, she wont touch them. Yep got the green tripe too raw stomach sounds lovely....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Pixie View Post
Do you think it is the taste of bone she likes or the crunchy texture? If it is the taste, then the bone-in minces might help. Start as it is, then add more and more plain mince. Your butcher can mince anything for you, or you can buy pet mince that already has bone in. Some have offal too (DAF minces have both, you should be able to get that quite easily in your area)
Have you tried really big meaty bones? She wont be able to eat the bone, but will have to chew the meat off to get to it, that might work.
What about really tasty meats? Mine love heart, chicken and ox are their favourites, followed by lambs, pigs not so much. I can't believe she doesn't like tripe!
Is she eating enough? I wouldn't give up on raw just yet, unless she is getting skinny. How are her poos? If she is eating too much bone her poo will be hard, white and chalky.
Lots of people feed more than 10% bone, but my dogs get the chalky poos if they have more.
More variety is better, but chicken, beef and pork is much better than just chicken. Have you tried raw eggs or oily fish? Mine like sprats, mackerel and sardines, but prefer them still frozen.
Offal wise, mine only eat chicken livers willingly, all other livers have to be hidden in something else. If you cant get her to eat raw liver you can substitute dried which most dogs love, or cod liver oil. I'm not sure about the other organs though, whether they are still essential if she is getting liver. My two don't like pigs kidneys or spleen, but will eat pigs pancreas (sweetbread) and rabbit, chicken and lambs kidneys.

Marty, here in the UK the tripe you get from a butcher is always white, either washed, bleached or both as it is for human consumption. You can get green tripe in pet shops, it is a very popular food for dogs here. Lots of breeders use it as a staple. You can also get whole tripe directly from the abattoir, but that would keep one Chihuahua going for a very long time!
To be honest, i would say its more the crunch? What kind of big meaty bones can you recommend please?
I'll get some chicken heart and liver, see if she likes them, thanks.
To me, she looks like she is getting skinny! Her poo's are fine considering the bone she eats, firm and not too chalky. Is too much bone/calcium a bad thing for her, excluding the chalky poo's?
I've tried the eggs, thats a no go, but not fish yet - do you just buy tinned?
__________________


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:49 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum