Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Little boy is really very cute :) . I do however have a couple of questions. You say he's show quality, but as he is CKC registered can he enter shows at all? I'm not American (in Europe we have different clubs - FCI, for continental EU and KC for UK), but as far as I know only AKC registered dogs can be shown.
My other question is...... why do you separate your dogs to different price range? You sell Teacups and Toys at different price....... there is no such thing as Teacup though. There is only one standard for Chihuahua. It's understandable that breeders sell show or pet quality at different prices, but establishing whether the dog is going to be show potential takes a lot of skill. Not only that you can't be sure till they're about 3 months old, but also have to be really experienced in that field. Have you been showing your dogs long? btw, color is not at all important when in comes to showing.

Thank you for your answers! :wave:

Christina

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ory&C said:
Little boy is really very cute :) . I do however have a couple of questions. You say he's show quality, but as he is CKC registered can he enter shows at all? I'm not American (in Europe we have different clubs - FCI, for continental EU and KC for UK), but as far as I know only AKC registered dogs can be shown.
My other question is...... why do you separate your dogs to different price range? You sell Teacups and Toys at different price....... there is no such thing as Teacup though. There is only one standard for Chihuahua. It's understandable that breeders sell show or pet quality at different prices, but establishing whether the dog is going to be show potential takes a lot of skill. Not only that you can't be sure till they're about 3 months old, but also have to be really experienced in that field. Have you been showing your dogs long? btw, color is not at all important when in comes to showing.Thank you for your answers! :wave:

Christina

Hi Christina, I will try my best to answer to some of your questions. Yes you are right. AKC registered can only enter the show dogs. At least, I didn't mention "show quality" on Beau but I only say show potiental which it means breeding program that I'm referring to. Also, Beau could be an AKC until his dad is AKC and his mom is CKC so I had to make Beau a CKC registered dog. He does have a nice head to body only if I could register him AKC but for now, he is going to be good for either 1) Stud or 2) Good home pet only. That is why I decided to keep Beau until he turned 12 weeks old (3 months old) then I can tell that he is a show potiental. You are right. Over 3 months old are the best answer to rec it. Also, you are right. There are no such things as "teacup" but sometime, I do get 1 1/2 oz pup at birth weight and how can you say umm I'm selling smallest than other siblings. It kinda weird but in many years, they are having the bad habits by calling it teacup. It's like runt, tinytiny, dwarf, toy and teacup...same thing with deerhead and applehead. Just slang words in order to help people to understand and can tell what's different but of course, in AKC's standard doesn't say teacup or anything expect applehead & long/smooth coats. That's all. I do not bred runt to runt or anything. Teacup to teacup doesn't means they will always produce teacups from on now. No no...it can be bigger litter than teacup but I am just referring the difference. Tinkerbell is small and Curious George is small too so I am going to bred them. Again, I love Tinkerbell the most but at same time, I would like to see more beautiful pups coming out from Tinkerbell's and this is going to be her third heat. Many breeders always do the first heat or second heat but to me, no way. I just want to have a right time in order to bred Tinkerbell. Now Curious George weighted 3 lbs and just like Tinkerbell's weight is 3 lbs too. Also, many people becomes obessed with "teacup" dogs and purse dogs. Many people won't buy normal size Chihuahuas and it made me unhappy so I decided to raise the prices higher on teacup dogs so it will make people to accept and buy normal size toy Chihuahua like 4 1/2 lbs to 6 lbs. Which I like that. Who cares about getting smallest Chihuahua like under 4 lbs? 6 lbs is to me is very small! So that is my opinion. I prefer to sell toy chihuahuas very cheap so the more chance, people will buy toy chihuahuas than teacup chihuahuas and they will be expensive no matter what. Teacup chihuahuas does required a lot of attention, very fragile and not good for children. So it's expensiver than toy chihuahuas. that is all. :) I hope I can be assitance to help you more ;)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
First of all, thanks for your answers :) !

Also, many people becomes obsessed with "teacup" dogs and purse dogs. Many people won't buy normal size Chihuahuas and it made me unhappy so I decided to raise the prices higher on teacup dogs so it will make people to accept and buy normal size toy Chihuahua like 4 1/2 lbs to 6 lbs.
Yes, many people have become obsessed with so called purse dogs, but guess what.... I'd never sell my dogs to anyone of those people. In fact, it's a great way of eliminating bad owners in the first place. Anyone that is asking for a "teacup" puppy is not a serious Chihuahua lover and he did not educate himself about the breed at all. By selling smaller puppies for higher price, you're not making the problem go away, the only thing you're doing is making them even more desirable..... people will think "oh, this dog costs more, which means I'll be more important and make a fashion statement if I buy it". Many reputable breeders deal with this situation in a completely different way. They simply screen potential owners and see if they have small children or anything else that might endanger a puppy. But they do not sell them at different price. Sometimes if a dog is really small, they'll make them sigh a contract saying they're too small to be used for breeding....

All the best!

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
LittleMagicChihuahuas said:
Ory&C said:
My other question is...... why do you separate your dogs to different price range? You sell Teacups and Toys at different price....... there is no such thing as Teacup though. There is only one standard for Chihuahua. It's understandable that breeders sell show or pet quality at different prices, but establishing whether the dog is going to be show potential takes a lot of skill. Not only that you can't be sure till they're about 3 months old, but also have to be really experienced in that field. Have you been showing your dogs long? btw, color is not at all important when in comes to showing.Thank you for your answers! :wave:

Christina

Hi Christina, I will try my best to answer to some of your questions. Yes you are right. AKC registered can only enter the show dogs. At least, I didn't mention "show quality" on Beau but I only say show potiental which it means breeding program that I'm referring to. Also, Beau could be an AKC until his dad is AKC and his mom is CKC so I had to make Beau a CKC registered dog. He does have a nice head to body only if I could register him AKC but for now, he is going to be good for either 1) Stud or 2) Good home pet only. That is why I decided to keep Beau until he turned 12 weeks old (3 months old) then I can tell that he is a show potiental. You are right. Over 3 months old are the best answer to rec it. Also, you are right. There are no such things as "teacup" but sometime, I do get 1 1/2 oz pup at birth weight and how can you say umm I'm selling smallest than other siblings. It kinda weird but in many years, they are having the bad habits by calling it teacup. It's like runt, tinytiny, dwarf, toy and teacup...same thing with deerhead and applehead. Just slang words in order to help people to understand and can tell what's different but of course, in AKC's standard doesn't say teacup or anything expect applehead & long/smooth coats. That's all. I do not bred runt to runt or anything. Teacup to teacup doesn't means they will always produce teacups from on now. No no...it can be bigger litter than teacup but I am just referring the difference. Tinkerbell is small and Curious George is small too so I am going to bred them. Again, I love Tinkerbell the most but at same time, I would like to see more beautiful pups coming out from Tinkerbell's and this is going to be her third heat. Many breeders always do the first heat or second heat but to me, no way. I just want to have a right time in order to bred Tinkerbell. Now Curious George weighted 3 lbs and just like Tinkerbell's weight is 3 lbs too. Also, many people becomes obessed with "teacup" dogs and purse dogs. Many people won't buy normal size Chihuahuas and it made me unhappy so I decided to raise the prices higher on teacup dogs so it will make people to accept and buy normal size toy Chihuahua like 4 1/2 lbs to 6 lbs. Which I like that. Who cares about getting smallest Chihuahua like under 4 lbs? 6 lbs is to me is very small! So that is my opinion. I prefer to sell toy chihuahuas very cheap so the more chance, people will buy toy chihuahuas than teacup chihuahuas and they will be expensive no matter what. Teacup chihuahuas does required a lot of attention, very fragile and not good for children. So it's expensiver than toy chihuahuas. that is all. :) I hope I can be assitance to help you more ;)

Just how you said it "this pup is smaller than its other siblings, easy as that!"

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I personally dont see why you have to say anything...they are all chi's. You can let the owner know that 'this chi is the runt of the litter' or 'this chi is the biggest out of the litter so far'.
I cannot see paying anymore for a runt then I can for an average sized chi. They are all chi's plain and simple...it just doesnt make any scense to spend more money on a smaller then average chi, especially when they are at greater risk for health problems.

I dont get it, when it comes to breeds outside the toy-group breeders dont have such terms. They have the same issues that you do when telling owners how big the pup is, but they just say how big the pup is....they dont call it sometihng else and raise the price. They price based on pedegree, and on sex...sometimes by color....not by size...that just seems to be a toybreed issue and JMHO I think its a major problem

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I was sold the "runt" when I got Nemo and he was sold to me cheaper at just £450 because of the greater risk of health problems, he also wouldn't have been much larger than 2 1/2lbs full grown if he'd survived. Sorry but just because someone has more money to spend on a pup doesnt mean it will be cared for any better. My breeder screened everyone before finally deciding to sell him to me and that was only due to my vet nurse background and she knew he would have the best home possible. Btw doesnt it say on your site that Tinkerbell is 3 1/2 lbs that is too small for breeding even if you do use a very tiny stud dog what happens if there's only 1 large puppy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts