Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I know there are many many house training posts on here but I still have a problem with Sam! We have 2 chi's Dylan who has been house trained since he was about 10 months old and Sam who is 1year old, he's just been 4 weeks without any accidents but this morning I turned my back to put washing in the machine and he pooed on the carpet! Feel so annoyed really thought he'd got it. He hasn't peed in the house since he was 6months but just seems to do the odd poo in the house. Anyone else got similar problem, how long without an accident do u have to wait to trust them? I feel like we are so close but he's not understanding properly.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Gracie is 8 months - we got her at 5 months from a rescue group. No one had worked with her at all. Things went really well with her, and it was just a matter of a few days before we had her going outside and accident free inside. I think having an older housetrained dog really helped with this, and sticking to a strict frequent schedule of taking her out helped as well.

But...She has had a couple of random 'accidents'. It always shocks me, because she will go to the door and does really well at telling me when she's got to go. It seems to happen when she's playing really hard with Pedro - so I wonder if she gets totally sidetracked, and still being a pup, she puts it off too long in favor of playing, and it's too late for her to let me know she's got to go.

She definitely knows better - when I see it (it's always poo) and say "Who did this?" she just wilts. But we are so proud of her for coming along as she has. She was turned over to the rescue because her previous owners 'couldn't do anything with her', and she's definitely one of the brightest little dogs I've ever encountered.

How long do we have to go before we can trust them? I'm not sure. I just think it's going to be about their little bodies and minds maturing enough to work together!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have to take mine out at regular times or THERE will be accidents. They do well as long as I take them out but if I don't I pay a price so I guess you could say I'm trained even if my dogs arn't. lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody was reliably housetrained at 8 months. But it's more like I was as I knew what his schedule was and could predict when he'd have to go. Every few hours for a wee and after meals for a poo. He wouldn't poop every time he ate, but I let him out right afterward and he had the chance to go at least.

Are you free feeding? If so, put them on a schedule. That helps immensely with house training issues.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Zoey has always had a hard time pooping on her pad as she is afraid of her poo and starts running from it before it is out so it would never end up on the pad (poor little thing) so now when DH gets home around 5 he takes her out to poo. She is on this schedule now and waits until he gets home. She only goes once per day. She never has a problem peeing on her pad just the poo has been a problem, she prefers to do that outside.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Zoey has always had a hard time pooping on her pad as she is afraid of her poo and starts running from it before it is out so it would never end up on the pad (poor little thing) so now when DH gets home around 5 he takes her out to poo. She is on this schedule now and waits until he gets home. She only goes once per day. She never has a problem peeing on her pad just the poo has been a problem, she prefers to do that outside.
OH Zoey!!! LOL!! What a character. That is so funny Kay. :D

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
It is funny, even when she poos outside, she starts running as soon as she starts going so DH has to keep up with her LOL

OH Zoey!!! LOL!! What a character. That is so funny Kay. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats one of the things that is frustrating me most i had just taken him out he did a wee was out there for about 5mins sniffing about so i brought him in wish i'd waited longer now! oh and he is on two meals a day at 7am and 7pm so no free feeding although i may cut down chews for a bit to see if that helps. I'm not sure he's the brightest dog in the world :) I really hope it's just a random mistake but when we had dylan it was like the penny dropped one day and he started choosing to go outside and never looked back perhaps we were lucky with him.

If they go hyper active playing i chuck them straight outside because i know thats when they are likely to have an accident. Guess we just have to keep going it's funny how two chi's can be so different to train! I'd love to be able to be able to take him to other peoples houses without having to watch him like all the time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Lucy will go on her pee pad if it is placed where she wants it. She chose a spot right behind my bedroom door and will only go there.
At my grandma's when we visit, her spot is in the walk-in shower. lol

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have a right poo machine on my hands!! Lola is TERRIBLE!!! she just loves to poo at my bf`s parents house in the most HORRID places!!
I think she generally does it for a laugh! i could take her out b4 we go there or she`s already been on her pads but she will STILL squeeze 1 out under my bf`s mums bed!!!!
We have to totally change the place when we go, we have a blocker so she cant go upstairs and have to pick up the mats by the doors! she can poo up 2 3/4 times a day but then Penny poo`s twice a day and they have the same food!
Shes been the same ever since she was a pup!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I lucked out with Tango who's now 3 1/2. A rescue at 7 months, he didn't have a clue about potty habits and would just go wherever and whenever. Some intensive training solved that problem completely, and he is 100% reliable now. Jazz however is completely different. I don't think the penny has yet dropped for her. I rescued her at 11 weeks, she's a year and a half now, and still has accidents. Some of that is my fault, I'll admit it, I'm not as consistent as I should be. But Tango spoiled me by being so easy! It really just wasn't much of any work to train him, whereas with Jazz it's a huge effort and undertaking!

Just because they're both chihuahuas doesn't mean they're going to have the same levels of intelligence, personality or trainability. Dammit! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts