Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor girl got her allergy shot last Friday from the 2nd vile of 20,000 ppm which caused a LOT of itching, chewing & licking. She had me up for the past 3 nights she was so miserable. I've given her some Benedryl the past 2 nights and tonite she finally seems to have calmed down. Tomorrow she was due for her next increased dose, but didn't feel I needed to give it, so I called the vet who wants me to skip tomorrow's dose & give her the same amount as the 1st dose next Friday. The schedule paper is soo full of white out & scratch out marks, it's getting hard to read. I hope she'll be ready next Friday for the shot & I hope she handles it better. She did something last night that scared the heck out of me, which she never does--From a sound sleep, she woke up reverse sneezing. I had to pick her up & carry her outside to get fresh air at 2 am to calm her down. It worked. Usually all I have to do is talk gently to her & she'll stop. But she rarely does that reverse sneezing. I'll be happy once we get past this step and get to the once a month shots. She's on the every week shots right now, but it makes me sick to my stomach with nerves every time shot day rolls around.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Sorry that the allergies are giving such a fit :-( Hopefully the vet can get this straightened out soon. Mine do random outbursts of reverse sneezing and they have woken from being asleep to do so. Mine do not do it all the time and its few and far between. I dont think the reverse sneezing is anything to worry about ;-)

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
awww, i hope Midgie feels better soon. i can relate because Tootsie has allergies too. it seems like i've tried everything for her. ( never tried the allergy shots though ) , so about a month ago my vet recommended a pill called Atopica . i read about it on another dog forum and seems the people there have been having good results so i decided to give it a try. since she's been taking it her itchies have improved alot. it is very expensive but i think well worth it for my girl to be comfy :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry that the allergies are giving such a fit :-( Hopefully the vet can get this straightened out soon. Mine do random outbursts of reverse sneezing and they have woken from being asleep to do so. Mine do not do it all the time and its few and far between. I dont think the reverse sneezing is anything to worry about ;-)
I usually don't worry about the sneezing but it was so out of the ordinary for her to wake up in the middle of the night doing it as she's had a really bad week for the allergy shot. Thanks for the inspiration. I do hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel, cause I'm not seeing it yet! Haha

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awww, i hope Midgie feels better soon. i can relate because Tootsie has allergies too. it seems like i've tried everything for her. ( never tried the allergy shots though ) , so about a month ago my vet recommended a pill called Atopica . i read about it on another dog forum and seems the people there have been having good results so i decided to give it a try. since she's been taking it her itchies have improved alot. it is very expensive but i think well worth it for my girl to be comfy :)
Thanks for the inspiration and the tip on Atopica. I always welcome any advice when it comes to helping Midgie. I did some research on the Atopica, but since I've been on the forum learning so much, I will not use for myself or my chi, if I can help it, anything that says "Keep Out Of Children's Reach." There's also some pitfalls that concern me, but that's just me and if it's working for you--I'm agree you should use it. You might think I'm crazy saying this, but I've been trying to live more naturally as much as possible, which means a whole lot of research. You might want to read this just to be better informed:
Atopica Veterinary Information from Drugs.com

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
thanks for the link, i have done research on it. For us the Atopica is working, Tootsie will be on the lowest possible dose, not every day, just a couple times a week.
i've been trying to get the allergies under control for along time, but she's been very itchy lately and i couldnt stand to see her so uncomfy, so even though i would prefer for her not to be on this, it is what works best for us. i agree with you that living more naturally as much as possible is better. but for me and tootsie, i feel like i've been trying for so long and her quality of life was more important. i got my happy dog back, hardley any more itchies :)
i do hope you have great results with these allergy shots

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the link, i have done research on it. For us the Atopica is working, Tootsie will be on the lowest possible dose, not every day, just a couple times a week.
i've been trying to get the allergies under control for along time, but she's been very itchy lately and i couldnt stand to see her so uncomfy, so even though i would prefer for her not to be on this, it is what works best for us. i agree with you that living more naturally as much as possible is better. but for me and tootsie, i feel like i've been trying for so long and her quality of life was more important. i got my happy dog back, hardley any more itchies :)
i do hope you have great results with these allergy shots
Sometimes I really feel like I'm all alone and no one knows what to do or can help me. Midgie gets to scratching so bad that she makes her chest & belly raw; she chews & licks so much that she gets bald patches. I decided to try that Nupro that was suggested on here for allergies & many other health benefits. She's been on it about a month & seems good for her. Before I started her on these allergy shots & I was running her back & forth to the vet because of the incessant itching, I would break down crying at the vet office. I'm so paranoid to loose my Midgie, because I lost her mother by being stupid. I bred her mother with a chi that had cancer. Midgies mom did 10 months after having emergency c-section to 5 pups. She had a tumor the size of an orange on her spleen and her blood was black. I watched that dog suffer and begged the vet to help. They did all they could.
I appreciate you talking to me about this. It doesn't seem like anyone's chi suffers from allergies as severe, so it's nice to hear from someone else who is battling this too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts