Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had nala since she was a puppy. I started potty training her on a wee wee pad, she would pee on it, but not poop. As soon as I started training her outside she stopped using the wee wee pads and would do all her business outside. We also have an 10 mth old lab who is fully potty trained and her behavior is wonderful. I know chihuahuas can be stubborn, but it just seems to get worse and worse as time goes on. I also incorporated crate training along with potty training. Her crate is big enough for her to stand up and turn around. I have went through tons of torn up wee wee pads in her crate to blankets that she just pees and poops on and then sleeps on! I just dont understand why she was potty trained and doing so good for so long and now is doing this again in her crate and now is doing it all throughout the house! It is frustrating because I take her outside for over half an hour multiple times a day from the time she wakes up to the time she goes back in her crate for the night and once I bring her inside she does her business =( When I watch her so I can try to catch her she thinks its a joke when I catch her and runs around wagging her tail and I cant catch her to bring her outside to show her where to do her business. She does this constantly. She wont even come to me when I call, she makes me chase her till I get close enough where she becomes submissive and rolls on her back. I can chase her around for 10 minutes before I get a chance to catch her. I cant even train her to sit, lay, etc because she isnt progressing in potty training, not even the basic command to come =( I had a chihuahua before and he was a male, he is fully potty trained, knows all basic commands, and has freedom to roam through the house and yard because he listens. I gave him to my fiancee's grandparents because they fell in love with him ever since there last dog passed away. I just wish Nala was as easy as Fabeo(the male) to train, but nothing I did for him is working for her, and no tips I have gotten yet have helped. SOMEONE please help! I know i have heard some people say that if there chihuahua ended up being untrainable that they would just breed them since they werent worth the money they paid for them, but I dont feel right doing that, I just want to train her!:confused:

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
She is at the age where they seem to forget their potty training for a bit. She needs a refreser course. Keep her on a leash in the house or in a pen. Do not let her have the run of the house right now until she is potty trained again. Also take her to the vet and have her checked first to make sure there is no physical reason she started doing this such as a bladder infection. When she starts circling to go, take her outside. When she goes, praise, praise, praise. lol To teach her to come, put her on a long leash and let her get to the end of it. Then call her and make her walk to you. When she gets to you, have her sit and give a high quality treat or praise. Do it for about 5 minutes each time. Don't over do it and always end the leason on a positive note. Gonzo learned to come in 10 minutes, two 5 minute sessions. I use chicken training treats, just break off a small peice, a taste, each time.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It really is frustrating when they wont potty train, i have the same prob myself, only that mine wont do it in the crate at all, luckly, just if i leave him to long while hes out of the crate he wont hang on, hel just poop, so sorry cant help with that, but as for recall mine wouldnt come back either i always had to go and pick him up, but i started shouting" sweeties" 2 or3 times a day in the house and gave him a treat he soon got the idea, now when hes outside just shout Sweeties and he comes running, worked a treat so might be worth trying for your little one..

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I agree with the above. I wanted to add that putting potty pads in her crate may have confused her a bit. If she is going in her crate then do not put anything in her crate with her not even a blanket or towel. Make sure the crate is just large enough for her to stand up and turn around. Hopefully with nothing in there for her to urinate she will stop this behavior. If you feel bad about leaving nothing in her crate then you ca purchase a hammock to put in there so she can get in it but it will be to high for to potty on it.

Also, you chasing her around the yard is probably stressful and upsetting to her, this very well has made her think that you are upset with her when she potties outside and she now views pottying out there as her being bad. She rolls over as to be submissive as she thinks she is in trouble. As said above, take her out on a leash and let her potty and make sure you praise her like crazy. Do not give her full run of the house and you may want to tether her to you so you can watch her every mood. Positive reinforcement only. Keep it fun :)

Another good technique for training her to come to you is... Put a leash on her and have a family member hold the leash while you stand aways away from her. Call her very excitedly and when she gets to you give her a treat. Then you hold the leash and let the family member do the same thing. Do this every day for a few short intervals. They get bored easily. Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
What about using a pen (doggy play pen)?? This way she'd have the pee pads outside her crate, with her water and maybe a toy to chew on. My 2 chi's were trained that way, and they are extremely reliable.

As for 'come' que, I'd try the treat method. When she is distracted have a dish of cut up tiny pieces of chicken, hot dog, etc and call her. If she comes, she gets a treat. Do this many times a day, and pretty soon she'll be running to you for a treat!! Then every other time she gets a treat. Praise also every time. Good luck Sue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts