1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys...
Going with The Honest Kitchen.
Need to know, how long a 10 lb. box would
last one Chi. at 1 C. day ??? Strictly feeding it only.

I've seen two diff. websites on Honest Kitchen and
one said a 10 lb. box = 43 lbs. of food.

but another said a 10 lb. box=43 cups...
??????????????

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I can't imagine any chi needing 1 cup of THK a day. My 10.5 lber gets just under 1/4 cup per day...

A 10 lb box of THK will probably last one chi 3-4 months minimum :) If you're worried about freshness portion the mix into smaller zip lock bags and store them in an airtight container. Realistically though, man, a 10 lb box lasts my 4 chis 3 months so...it might last a good while. Maybe you should try a smaller box to make sure you like it?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you...

THANKS FLIPPED STARS, LDMAMA THATS ALL I NEEDED TO KNOW. ~*~*WINK...~*~*
Be Blessed.... :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay... Got dog food orderd and done.
I got a box of Embark and Keen.
I'm sure my lil' peteyboo will lavish it, as
he is like a lil' garbage can on four legs. LOL....

Done reading dog food ingreds. labels, this, that, everything....
WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL...
THANK YOU'ins for all the needed help in answering
my questions, feel like I've been a pure pain on here
latley. Sorrrrrrrrrry... lol...
Again, sincerely from the heart,

~*~*~*~*THANKS~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*HUGS*~*~*~*

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Please update us when you actually try it out! My chi girls eat maximum 1/4 cup a day if I don't add anything in. My girls are 6.5 lbs and 7 lbs and get a lot of exercise so 1 cup/day is way too much. At 1/4 cup per day for one chihuahua a 10 lb box of HK should last you about 5 and a half months easily.

I wish mine lasted that long. :( Between my three I go through a 10 lb box of HK in a month.

You will want to keep your HK well sealed when you open the bag. When I open a new bag of HK I immediately transfer it into resealable plastic zip top bags. I can easily fit 10 lbs of dry HK into 2 one gallon size Ziploc bags. I keep the one I am using daily out on my pantry shelf for easy access and the others I keep in an air tight plastic pet food container. Since yours will probably last you much much longer you might want to separate the food out into smaller bags. For example you might fill multiple quart size bags to keep each bag fresher, but that's entirely up to you. No matter what you do, make sure to keep it in something air tight.

My mother in law kept her HK in it's original bag, folded the top over and put a clip on it. That was not air tight, the humidity got in and made her HK all clumpy and it started smelling different. She ruined her HK by not putting it in an airtight container. Just a word of caution. :)

I know there has been a lot of discussion about THK making their bags resealable. Hopefully that will happen soon but so far I haven't seen it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
THANKS Huskeyluv for the valuable info.
I will make sure I do that...
I'm excited to be trying it and getting away from
processed kibble some.
We ordered it from Only Natural Pet and used a net coupon and
saved like twenty something dollars. Tickled me pink. LOL...
Yea, I'll keep you'ins updated on using it. Prob. be beginning next
week. :)
Blessings, Hugs, Smiles. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Good luck! I definitely wouldn't think a Chi would eat that much. When we bought a box (Force) my pups went through a bit less than 2c per day for SIX. ;) And I have 3 that require quite a bit of food. If we fed soley HK one 10lb box would last us 3 weeks.

Can't wait to hear how your pup likes it--YAY for another HK feeder!! :cheer:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Coco, about 3.5 lbs, gets 1/8 c. (dry measurement) a day split into 2 meals, occasionally with a little bit of a protein added in. It's rare that she even finishes all of her meal. I bought a 10lb box of Keen in August and I still have a ton of it left. I use an airtight container to store the food and I've had no problems so far.

I'm so thankful to everyone that pointed out THK to me. It's by far the best value for a high quality food. I would love to put Kina and Cabo on it as well but for the amount they both would eat, and the fact my hubby is being laid off as of tomorrow, I'll have to hold off for a little bit longer.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My vet recommended 1 cup a day for my chi, so I feed 1/2 cup twice a day of THK. She weighs between 6 1/2-7 lbs & still acts like she's hungry. I bought a bag of Acana & put a few kibble in a bowl for her to nibble on inbetween the THK. She doesn't get no snacks, no chewies-as she won't chew on anything. All she eats is the THK & the Acana. She does seem to poop a lot around 6-7 times a day so I've cut back a little on the THK to maybe about 3/4 a day & she doesn't seem to be pooping as much. Haha.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I know there has been a lot of discussion about THK making their bags resealable. Hopefully that will happen soon but so far I haven't seen it.
I suggested that idea to them on the survey I sent in. I really hope they make that change eventually. It's one of the little annoyances I find with it. They make the bag just big enough to fit the food in, with no extra at the top, so a clip or tie isn't possible to use. It makes it very hard to reseal it and keep it fresh. Therefore, I transfer it to a big ziploc bag, same as you, Val.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
My vet recommended 1 cup a day for my chi, so I feed 1/2 cup twice a day of THK. She weighs between 6 1/2-7 lbs & still acts like she's hungry. I bought a bag of Acana & put a few kibble in a bowl for her to nibble on inbetween the THK. She doesn't get no snacks, no chewies-as she won't chew on anything. All she eats is the THK & the Acana. She does seem to poop a lot around 6-7 times a day so I've cut back a little on the THK to maybe about 3/4 a day & she doesn't seem to be pooping as much. Haha.
Holy moly! No wonder why she's pooping so much! Is your vet familiar with THK?? I have a very active 7lb & an 8lb Chi & at most they got 1/2c a day! I would think 1c for a Chi...even an active one is a bit much. No way should she be pooping 6-7 times a day. When we tried THK my pups pooped maybe twice a day...

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Holy moly! No wonder why she's pooping so much! Is your vet familiar with THK?? I have a very active 7lb & an 8lb Chi & at most they got 1/2c a day! I would think 1c for a Chi...even an active one is a bit much. No way should she be pooping 6-7 times a day. When we tried THK my pups pooped maybe twice a day...
LOL yeah, that is a TON of food hun, I think it sounds like tooooo much. My 7 lber only gets 1/4 cup a day!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Other than all the pooping, she's been doing fine on it. She doesn't seem to be getting fat, but I have started cutting it back because of the pooping issue. She really loves it & when she first started on the THK, she seemed starving even after eating. I think her being so hungry had a lot to do with all the steroid shots she was getting for her allergies, but she hasn't been getting the steroid shots anymore, so her appetite has seem to calm down. She even nibbles on a few pieces of Acana in the evening. I'll probably cut her back eventually to 1/2 cup a day.
No my vet is familiar with THK. I brought the box in to her. She study the box thoroughly, read the ingrediants & said, "I've never heard of this or seen this before." She said she really liked this food for Midgie & thought it would be great. She's well-aware that it dehydrated because the only concern she had was the alfalfa in it. I asked how much she felt I should be feeding her & that's when she recommended 1 cup a day & I questioned it. I've always free-fed Midgie kibble so that's why I'm not exactly sure how much she needs. I am watching her closely tho for weight gain. She's not very active as she follows me all over constantly & is sitting on my lap the rest of the time.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Yea, you're all probably right! I'll start cutting her back. My biggest fear is not feeding her enough. Since she can't have NOTHING because of all her allergies, I feel so guilty when the family is snacking & she's there begging. Since I bought the ACANA tho, she can have that if she needs more. I'll definitely cut her back to 1/2 a day. Thanks for everyone's concern. This is why I love this forum.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
It's probably a good thing she's pooping so much--otherwise she'd be packing on the pounds. hehe I just hate to see you wasting the food where it isn't exactly cheap & with her pottying so much that's really whats happening. If you're worried about her not getting enough just weigh her every couple days at first. Try not to feel too bad though...I think my pups would eat constantly if I let and would eat ANYTHING I put in their dish and in turn would be humungous!! I also made the mistake of giving them huge chicken chunks once thinking they'd stop when they got full & ended up with a few sick puppers that night. :( Just goes to show I guess, that when you have some delish food they will gobble it down as if they'll never see it again. LOL

Poor Milo, when we were feeding EVO was only getting a bit less than 1/4c a day yet was 11lbs and gaining. Thank goodness for raw--he's down to just below 8lbs now & is able to eat much more than he could on kibble. I'm trying to find a good daily amount to keep him maintaining & not loosing! I really want him at 8lbs at least so to his delight I'm still upping his food intake. LOL

But my pups always act starving (and we don't give them more than an occassion raw treat which may not even be daily). I think 1/2c of THK sounds good or maybe a bit less if you find she's not loosing yet still pooping more than a couple times a day. I'm glad she's doing well on it though! :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Yea, you're all probably right! I'll start cutting her back. My biggest fear is not feeding her enough. Since she can't have NOTHING because of all her allergies, I feel so guilty when the family is snacking & she's there begging. Since I bought the ACANA tho, she can have that if she needs more. I'll definitely cut her back to 1/2 a day. Thanks for everyone's concern. This is why I love this forum.
Some doggies won't gain weight when they eat too much just like some people...thus the just pooing more. I would watch instead for weight LOSS :) 1/2 a cup seems like a much more reasonable amount and even that may still be a bit too much. Could you look into Carnivore Crunch by Stella and Chewy's? There's no possible allergens in them. I'm going to start feeding a few at lunch time as treats to my dogs.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Some doggies won't gain weight when they eat too much just like some people...thus the just pooing more. I would watch instead for weight LOSS :) 1/2 a cup seems like a much more reasonable amount and even that may still be a bit too much. Could you look into Carnivore Crunch by Stella and Chewy's? There's no possible allergens in them. I'm going to start feeding a few at lunch time as treats to my dogs.
Yay for Carnivore Crunch! :cheer: I need to pick up some more since the pups just finished the last bag this morning!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
She LOVES THK!! She's never been a big eater until I took the cheap kibble away & started THK. She doesn't seem crazy about ACANA but she likes to nibble on it--maybe 5 or 6 kibbles at in the evening after her 2nd THK meal.
Stella & CHewy's might be a good option, but I'm wore out from reading labels & narrowing down a good food for a chi that's allergic to just about everything--rice, barley, turkey, etc. Since we've been on THK a little over 2 months & just started ACANA about 2 weeks ago, I'm going to stick with this a while before I make any more changes. I have two boxes of THK Preference & Force & fluctuate between depending on if I have meat to add to the Preference.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts