Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Hoping someone can give me a bit of advice, my 10 month old male chi, was doing fine with his toilet training until my partner and i split up and since he has left the house my chi is lifting his leg and peeing on anything in sight,even when i just bring him in from outdoors, he squeezes out the slightest dribble, is there anyway i can get him to stop? will neuturing help? I have a 2 yr old who often steps in it if ive not noticed so if i cant stop him doing it sadly im gonna have to let him go, Please help!

Amanda

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hey
It sounds more like he is marking his territory than using it as a toile. It could be that now your parnter has left he see's himself as the top dog in the house.. you need to reinforce that you are the pack leader and not him.

If you're not planning on breeding or showing him then i would highly recommend neutering him, this can help with marking in males. Its best to get it done before any habit sets in. You need to try and wear him out and take him for a long walk so he's totally emptied before you bring him back in. Also make sure you clean up any marking throughly as he will continue to do it if he smells his own scent.

My friend brought her 8 month old Yorkie to mine the other day and he marked on one of my blankets and right by Daisy's crate.. i was not impressed to say the least but scrubbed and boiled out everything i possibly could.

The other way to do it is to keep him with you at all times.. back to the principles of early toilet training if you see him start to cock his leg stop him and put him straight outside.. keep doing this constantly and eventually he'll get hte picture.

You have to make sure he knows you're the boss!!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm having the same problem with Charlie. I will say it's not as bad as yours so I'm getting him booked in for the chop before it gets any worse.
Saying that Charlie is developing quite a few bad habits at the minute. He's always in the dog house just lately lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Definitely get him neutered. He's probably feeling some stress since the break up and has decided to start marking his territory.

In the meantime, I'd watch him like a hawk, but I'd also use a belly band so he doesn't spray urine all over your house. I'd be booking that neuter appointment TODAY! And start some retraining.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I agree with the above, have him neutered! :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
My male started marking once my female had puppies so I got him neutered and he stopped marking since then. I think it's common for males to mark their territory

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Yep..neuter!! One reason I have girls. I would go nuts if mine would mark all over the house. Hope all gets better for ya' soon.

Lori

1 - 9 of 9 Posts