Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, when I first got Butter, the lady told me "He is 6 pounds!" I thought tiny, because Littleman was 5 pounds. So when I got him..well..he wasn't that tiny. The woman said that no one would take him or breed him because of his size. We're in the process of getting his Papers (He has to be neutered first) so I know he's full bred (Because both his parents have papers. Not only that, but his siblings are all 4-5 pounders..and He's 10 :O. The vet wants him to get down to 7, but to me he seems like a good weight.

Are there such things as 10 pound Chihuahuas?

The reason why I'm asking is because Zach's Stepmom is throwing a fit because I was suppose to get a small dog. So she's trying to get his Dad to tell me that he needs to go. I was also suppose to get a female for littleman..but I honestly do no have the money to breed. (Not interested in it anyways). They swear up and down that there are no such things as 10 pound chihuahuas.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
if you look on here, there are plenty of larger chihuahuas. the 'standard' might be 2-6, but it looks like a lot of people have bigger pups. we're thinking madison will be 7-8 (as is her vet). 10 lbs in NOT a huge dog, as long as butter is healthy and getting lots of exercise.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
There are many 10 lb. Chi's. Not uncommon at all. You will find 5/6 to be the norm of the standard these days, but many weigh more than that. A Chi under 5/6 lbs. full grown is out of the norm these days.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I believe the standard needs to be changed. You can look all around the net, and find only a handful that mature out at under 5/6 lbs.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
T, you own the whole handful :)

Yeah, we're actually happy madison is going to be a little bigger. she was so fragile at 2.2 when we brought her home!
:lol: I'm not sure how that happened! I was hoping for all of them to mature out around 4/5 lbs. It seemed like each one I got they got smaller on me. :lol: I figured it was fate after ending up with 4 tiny tots.

7/10 lb. Chi's are still very small dogs. And like you said, they are so much easier to take care of.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok good :) I was worried that he had gotten into a sewage plant and mutated or something. I love his size. He's not to small to where I have to watch my feet and he's the perfect size to hug on. Thank you all very much!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
There are bigger Chi's and I love them just as much as the tiny ones. My Lola is very big. Just because they're bigger it doesn't make them any less a Chi. They still have all thos adorable chi traits just in a bigger package.

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
One of the reasons in the UK that we are seeing bigger and bigger Chihuahuas is the amount of pet owners and back yards breeders etc having pups from their over sized pets.

Jago is about 8lb and so big for a Chihuahua but still a small lad. My preferred weight is about 4 to 5lb. Ultimately if you (generalising) would like a Chihuahua that looks like a Chihuahua and is a reasonable size, it's important to go to breeders who breed to maintain standard (as well as health and temperament of course.)

I would much rather have a chihuahua that erred on the larger size than smaller!!!

x

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Paco runs between 6 and 7 lbs and that's perfect for me. If I had a relly small chi, I would worry constantly, the littles are very cute, but they need alot more attention as they seem so fragile. Paco still seems really small to me at this size but he's very healthy and nice and solid.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
To me 10 lbs is still considered a small dog. Not necessarily in a chi, since standards are2-6 lbs but still small. Willow is 9 lbs but she needs to loose weight. She got fat after her spay and being a cobby doesn't help with that either. . But yes......there are many chi's out there over the 6lb mark and are much more managable than the smaller ones. I know, I have Ivy and Fern that are under3 lbs, and Willow is much easier for the kids to handle than the teenie girls.

Lori

Lori

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Paco runs between 6 and 7 lbs and that's perfect for me. If I had a relly small chi, I would worry constantly, the littles are very cute, but they need alot more attention as they seem so fragile. Paco still seems really small to me at this size but he's very healthy and nice and solid.
Ummm Abby's not that fragile...LOL she's 2.5lbs of spitfire. I prefer between 3.5-4lbs..although I do have two at around 6lbs....

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I got Cesar the vet told me that chihuahua's are usually three to seven pounds. He is seven and a half. My Ava is a little under three. But I have seen bigger chihuahua's but most people associate chihuahuas with the smaller sizes because I know some people always ask me is he pure breed and when I say yes they ask well isn't he a little big. No he is average. My Aunt Ginger has a nine pound long hair chihuahua looks like a little fox and there is nothing wrong with him. All types of dogs can be different sizes and shapes. My sister has yorkies and a lady on her forum yelled at her telling her that her boy was not pure breed and she shouldn't be allowed to say he is. He is papered but he is a big yorkie. So I would tell your boyfriends stepmom that it is your dog and you are keeping him that it isnt't her choice of what kind of dog you get or what sex, it is what you want. Sorry so long I just hate it when people always have to say something about dogs just because they don't meet their standards.

·
Registered
116 Posts
One of the reasons in the UK that we are seeing bigger and bigger Chihuahuas is the amount of pet owners and back yards breeders etc having pups from their over sized pets.

Jago is about 8lb and so big for a Chihuahua but still a small lad. My preferred weight is about 4 to 5lb. Ultimately if you (generalising) would like a Chihuahua that looks like a Chihuahua and is a reasonable size, it's important to go to breeders who breed to maintain standard (as well as health and temperament of course.)

I would much rather have a chihuahua that erred on the larger size than smaller!!!

x
I got both of my chihuahua's from backyard breeders and they have great temperments. I got most of my dogs from backyard breeders or from people I knew. I think temperment is based on the owner and how they train them.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It's not the standard, but it is common. Venus is 13. She's very muscular though. She looks like a furry body-builder lol. I do think the woman we got her from lied to us though, because I see some rat terrier in her. But she's still my baby girl, and I love her with all my heart.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's not the standard, but it is common. Venus is 13. She's very muscular though. She looks like a furry body-builder lol. I do think the woman we got her from lied to us though, because I see some rat terrier in her. But she's still my baby girl, and I love her with all my heart.
I really like your Venus I think she is lovely.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Jasper was only 3 lbs when we brought him home @ 12 weeks
old and now at 1 year he is 11.5 and holding steady since
June. He just went through some major growth spurts.
Vet says he is healthy for his height and length so
I don't worry about it. I just make sure now that he
doesn't get any larger. His sister is only 3lbs at a year
and his brothers are all 7lbs or less. Mom is 7lbs
and dad is 6lbs so you never know what you are
going to get. I do think the standard should be changed
because many not so reputable breeders go to
"extreme" measures to ensure "small" chis.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts