Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I love them all, tenny tiny and big and gorgeous...Draco falls right in the middle at 6 pounds and he will probably be 7 when all is said and done. Every single one is special and unique.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My mom had a Chi that was 13-15 lbs, he wasn't fat by any means, he just seemed to have longer legs. If he was any thinner you would have been able to see his bones. So I wouldn't think that 10 lbs is such a big deal, its still small.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Oh you guys, chi's range so much. My niece has a 10 lb. chi that has pedigreed parents. I swear, I've seen them and his parents. He is bigger boned and muscular but total full chi. They are such special animals and from what I've learned, the standard probably should be changed. It really is still small. My mini doxie is 10 lbs. and he is still "small".

·
Registered
259 Posts
My Kobi is 9.5lbs, (although I suspect he's not full Chi even though the guy we got him from said he was). I don't mind his larger size, he's so much more huggable and doesn't feel as fragile as little Butters does!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Toby is a nice 12 pounder. very lean and tall. Sasha on the other hand is a very FAT 10 pounds. She could stand to lose about three pounds the vet tells me. I think they are still a great size.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Oh my, I thought I was the only one with "larger" chis. Frankie is a nearly perfect 9 lbs. and Ben is a chubby 10 lbs. We have been trying to help Ben lose a little by giving fewer treats. He really does not eat any more than Frankie, which is practically nothing. Mine are nice and healthy and we LOVE THEM!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
lol i was told jamoka was going to be 4lb! and he's 11lbs now! but i'm oh k with his weight because i wasn't looking for size. also when he was younger the vet would complain that he wans't putting on weight so her just made to 11lbs and the vet said he's at a nice weight

·
Registered
510 Posts
Elmo's a bigger chi, I've no idea what weight he is but I suspect he could do with dieting for a week or so, he gets loads of excercise tho. When he was 12 weeks he was just over 2lbs. One of my daughters friends has a chi from the same breeder and he's tiny, so you really can't tell what you're going to get.
I do get fed up with people saying he can't be a chi cause chi's fit in bags, even on here he's been called "huge" and the "least chi like looking baby around" Either way Elmo is Elmo and we love him to bits :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
My Baby Eggz is 1yr 3mons old and weighs 7.9lbs. and thats after gaining a lb since he's been home (2 weeks today). Vet says he can maybe stand to gain another lb, but not much more than that. So I estimate hel'll be somewhere close to 9lbs when it's all said and done. He's got really long legs and the weight gain has made him look more height/weigh proportioned .....I can't really imagine him being any smaller.

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
Thankfully in the UK the breed standard has been amended :)

Size Weight: up to 2.7 kgs (6 lbs), with 1.8 - 2.7 kgs (4 - 6 lbs) preferred

While larger Chihuahuas are great I HAVE ONE :)

If back yard breeders/pet owners start breeding from larger and larger dogs, it stands to reason the breed will get bigger and bigger until they don't resemble Chihuahuas at all!

Those not breeding to maintain standard (a Chi that looks like a Chi) will often use much larger bitches in the hope they'll have a larger litter.

In the UK it is happening with Pomeranians....those not bred by reputable breeders are whoppers! Same happened with Yorkshire Terriers over here and most people don't even realise that ALL Yorkies should be small....not the huge standards they have bought :rolleyes:

At the end of the day personal choice and as I have said, I'd rather a larger more robust Chihuahua than a tiny little dot.

x

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Elmo's a bigger chi, I've no idea what weight he is but I suspect he could do with dieting for a week or so, he gets loads of excercise tho. When he was 12 weeks he was just over 2lbs. One of my daughters friends has a chi from the same breeder and he's tiny, so you really can't tell what you're going to get.
I do get fed up with people saying he can't be a chi cause chi's fit in bags, even on here he's been called "huge" and the "least chi like looking baby around" Either way Elmo is Elmo and we love him to bits :D
Elmo is one of my favorites. Love his look!!! Sure looks like a chi to me.:coolwink:

·
Registered
737 Posts
I do get fed up with people saying he can't be a chi cause chi's fit in bags,
This made me chuckle...I have a couple of bags that both of mine could fit into...they sit in the closet collecting dust! Bruce is 4 lbs and Lola is about 5 lbs. but neither of them fit the "standard" (outside of weight) as it is today with the AKC. The standard has changed so much over the years. There was a thread on here around the time I first joined in which someone had posted pics of Chi's and their changing appearances throughout history. It was really interesting, I'm going to look for it and I'll add it to my post if I can find it! And by the way, Elmo is one of my favorite Chi's on here, he is a stunner! :D

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Elmo is one of my favorites too!!
I agree about there being lots of larger chi's, but if the vet says your dog should lose a few pounds, I'd follow his advice. No matter how much they weigh, it's important to make sure they're at a healthy weight, as they are known for heart problems. Your Butter is very cute :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you love them who cares what they weigh. I have three Chi's and all three weigh different weights. Largest one is 8-9 lbs and smallest 3-4 lbs at the moment. But they all have amazing personality traits and are happy cuddly little tikes. x x Just enjoy them x

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Anne Elmo is gorgeous. I agree with you though it get's annoying when people say things like that. My own sister even said to me the other day Lola's not a real chi is she? It got me angry. Of course she is. I think Elmo is such a cutie.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Someone mentioned that breeding larger bitches is what is contributing to bigger Chi's, but I know many larger Chi's that come from average sized parents. I'm not real sure what everyone's view is of "big," but even the larger of the standard at 6 lbs. is still a very very small dog. I've mentioned this before, but the whole weight thing really confuses me when it comes to the Chi. You really can't base a "size" with a "weight" in my opinion. Just take a look around the boards here and you will see 2.5 lb. Chi's that are the same size as 3.5 lb. Chi's, and 3/4 lb. Chi's that are as big as 6 lb. Chi's.

In all honesty, the larger Chi is so much more common these days, even from show breeders, that I'm not sure why the standard hasn't been changed by now. I know that the pups that are showing are unaltered (which keeps their weight down) and they start showing them at 6 months of age. By the time they reach their adult weight they are finished. So why not change the standard to reflect a more realistic view. I mean honestly, how many Chi's do you see that are 2/3 lbs. full grown?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts