Chihuahua People Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I agree with all comments here...Both my girls are 7 lbs. and whether they would have been 3 lbs. or 10 lbs. would have made no difference. Why would someone say that just because the dog weighs 10 lbs.!! Loving them is all that matters:)
Love the sweaters and your new siggy!!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Carrera'seight goes up and down, right now I think shes at about 8 lbs. Last time at the vet (3 months or so ago) they weighed her in at 9 lbs. If she were to go any lower then 7 lbs. you would she her bones.8 is a good weight for her, shes very slendor and slim, just very long, I'd say shes well over a foot long so her weight is distributed well.
Oh and by the way- Carrera is pure bred as well with papers, her mom was 8 and dad was 7 lbs.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Both of my chis are out of the "standards" weight. My little one, Babs, is 7.5 - 8 pounds and my Lovee is at least 14 pounds. We haven't weighed her recently, the last time she was 13 lbs and I think she's getting heavier. Lovee was considerably smaller than her siblings. When I chose her she was the runt of the litter and looked half as big as her siblings. Her siblings are now 3.4 and 4 lbs. I know this sounds like an excuse, but she truly is bigger boned than Babs. Babs has a narrow chest cavity and Lovee has a barrel. They both have the same feel at the ribs. I love them both and worry a little less about Lovee than Babs.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Oh and I forgot. Elmo is absolutly adorable He actually looks like my Lovee. Black with white chest, long coat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also have a large chi. He is about 11 lbs and all muscle. As you can see there are plently of larger chis. I love the larger ones (even though I have a 5lb one too) as they are really good on long walks and great at agility etc.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I also have a large chi. He is about 11 lbs and all muscle. As you can see there are plently of larger chis. I love the larger ones (even though I have a 5lb one too) as they are really good on long walks and great at agility etc.

Yes & much easier to find lol.. My SIL's are so cute and not as dependant as Abbie. You don't have to worry as much about them jumping off the bed etc.. With Abbie being so small I worry about her falling off of it. She can't go up stairs etc.. There are a lot of pluses to the larger ones too. I think they are all sweet!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes & much easier to find lol.. My SIL's are so cute and not as dependant as Abbie. You don't have to worry as much about them jumping off the bed etc.. With Abbie being so small I worry about her falling off of it. She can't go up stairs etc.. There are a lot of pluses to the larger ones too. I think they are all sweet!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 4 chihuahuas, 8 pound. 2 that are 5 pounds, and my 4 month old puppy that is 11 pounds my family swears hes not full blooded but I have seen parents and grandparents and he is beautiful just bigger. Hes my big baby. Also hes long haired so he looks even larger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One of the reasons in the UK that we are seeing bigger and bigger Chihuahuas is the amount of pet owners and back yards breeders etc having pups from their over sized pets.

Jago is about 8lb and so big for a Chihuahua but still a small lad. My preferred weight is about 4 to 5lb. Ultimately if you (generalising) would like a Chihuahua that looks like a Chihuahua and is a reasonable size, it's important to go to breeders who breed to maintain standard (as well as health and temperament of course.)

I would much rather have a chihuahua that erred on the larger size than smaller!!!

x
My little Chi is 8-9 lbs, but she looks good not fat but I did cut back on cookies!
She was only 2lbs when we first got her.
She’s just perfect for cuddling!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
My girl was 7 lbs last year but honestly seemed a little too skinny. I switched her food (for other reasons) and now she is 8 lbs and is at a perfect weight. She's still a little skinny, but not nearly as much as she was before. I'm so glad she's not overweight.

I did let her eat as much of her old food as she wanted, and she often wouldn't even finish it. So I was feeding her enough.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts