Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My 13 year old chihuahua is now free of mange and lively as a puppy again. IIt's been a battle. Prednisolone was prescribed for a rash she had (a steroid which killed her immune system and lead to the mange in the first place). The vet was content with giving her antibiotic shots every few months to counter her fevers and then be put to sleep eventually. NO! I also discarded the Bravecto they had me buy, scrubbed her down weekly (not just lather/rinse), kept ears cleaned daily (important), and did 3 months of NexGard and HeartGard treatment (much safer than Bravecto). She's also on a daily diet of fresh cooked chicken/lean beef and veggies, with her kibble. 1/2 glucosamine pill every other day and multivitamin. Leasson learned - don't trust the vets, always research beforehand.

The Bravecto could've killed her. The vet tells me the NexGard and Bravecto act the same but the Bravecto is more convenient (1 dose every 6 months instead of monthly). That's too much of a dose; monthly is safer. It saddens me that people risk their dogs' lives just to save 5 min. a month. I think the biggest thing that rid the mange though was cleaning her ears. That's where the mites started. Had to really SCRUB them and clean w/ ear rinse/q-tips daily. I even found a tick in her ear at one point. The vet neglected to have me do that. Just keep milking my wallet every 3 months. Shameful.

Hope this helps anyone who experiences this issue. Hang in there and don't give up.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
So glad you were able to get your dog healthy again! I do not trust vets very much, they misdiagnosed my dogs too many times. Great that you did your research and were able to give her a much better life!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts