Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out this morning and picked up Chantico from his breeder.

Even though he had a blanket from his old bed, he did not care for being in the crate in the car. It's about 1 hour 15 minute drive, and he squacked for about the first 30 minutes solid. Then calmed down a little, and eventually fell asleep.

When we got to my apartment, he let the cat Babe - after Babe hissed at him a time or two she started to ignore him. Then tried his harness on him to see how he'd do with it. He didn't mind it at all, so clipped the leash on and took him to a small patch of grass outside. He played for a while - rolling and hopping thru the grass and met an older lady out for a walk. Then a girl with an adult chi came over and he loved her also - snapped and growled at the chihuahua a couple times who was politely standing next to his owner.

Took him inside and had a little food and water and I went to clean up the kitchen and do some dishes. This is when I discovered he absolutely does not want to be by himself on the floor! If he's being held, he is totally calm - but as soon as he's put down he flips out.

Would this just be 1st day jitters, or do you think it's more who he is? (right now he's asleep in my lap!)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Awwww he looks LOVELY!
What a nice little face he has too.

It *could* just be first day jitters, keep an eye on it and try and prolong his time alone on the floor as the days go by so that he doesn't become totally dependant on being held. Lexi was a little like this too at first, she is extremely cuddly and whined whenever I left her on the floor, but now she's learned to enjoy it and that she can play like crazy with her toys there!

Aww, he's really adoreable.
Post some more piccies. :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
toys are the other thing I didn't get the reaction from him I was expecting.... He doesn't seem to recognized toys as toys, but just something in the way. Even with a Kong with a treat & BP in it. ??

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
AAAWWW, he's so cute! just give him time with the toys...Chico didn't play with the ones i got him until i had him for about a week.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
He will probably be nervous and anxious for a few days, and give him time to start playing with his toys. Jasmine didn't want to play with hers either when I first brought her home. How old is he? Got to remember, he is still just a baby.

I would be very careful taking him outside in the grass and letting him be around other animals until he has finished his shots. I don't want to scare you, but there are some pretty nasty diseases they can pick up outside and small puppies who have not had all their vaccinations are particularly vulnerable. Just be careful.

BTW, he is so cute.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
chimom said:
I would be very careful taking him outside in the grass and letting him be around other animals until he has finished his shots. I don't want to scare you, but there are some pretty nasty diseases they can pick up outside and small puppies who have not had all their vaccinations are particularly vulnerable. Just be careful.

BTW, he is so cute.
my thoughts EXACTLY!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Oh he's such a precious boy. What a little doll. He's going to be nervous and upset the first few days and you are going to be his security. Marcus thought my lap or a hard carrier right beside my arm were the only places to be for the first week or so. As he gained confidence he also gained independence and now my floor is one huge toy box and he plays with everyone of them.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
He is adorable I agree you need to be very careful outside until he has all his shots. Auggie didn't play with any toys for about 2 weeks but he certainly made up for it :lol:

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
chimom said:
You just beat me to saying it :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the comments...

Tico has already calmed down alot since yesterday. He did great sleeping last night in his crate. He only barked for a couple minutes than not a peep until this morning (and then only when he heard the cat rattling the bedroom door). Put him in his crate again this afternoon for a nap - and went in and laid down without a single wimper.

He will not (at least yet) use the pee pads - but will only go once he's outside (hence meeting the dog I'd mentioned).

I don't know if this would work, but I'm thinking of going to the garden center and buying a couple pieces of grass sod that I can "plant" on my balcony for him. ??

I'll post a couple pix I've taken in the photo section also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts