Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my puppy Tico will be coming home with me this Friday morning, and I set up an appointment to bring him into my vet that afternoon.

In a conversation with the breeder, I mentioned I was going to wait to purchase his food until we go to the vet that afternoon. She seemed offended I would take him in to get checked out the same day, and suggested waiting a week or so. Everything I've seen recommends getting a check-up in the first day or two.

What do you think?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
YOU are RIGHT your dog needs to be seen within 48 hours!! Dont worry about her - the pup is yours now :D

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Yep I agree. Tico should be seen as soon as possible. I'm not implying anything, but some puppies come home with parasites or even parvo. So he needs to be given a clean bill of health when he comes home.

Can't wait for pics!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Its extremely strange she has said to wait 1 - 2 weeks - I would ask for a guarentee with him that if anything is wrong you will get a refund etc :wave:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I think you're in the right. When we got Zeus, we were encouraged to take them to the vet within 48 hours free of charge to us. This covered the breeder as well as yourself.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She does guarentee his health - and that was one of her reasons for suggesting to wait. Saying they do not have a time limit associated with their guarentee, so there's no need to rush him in.
I'm thinking he's going to be stressed out with the move anyway - may as well get the first Dr visit out of the way then too - instead of waiting a couple days and upsetting him again.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
you want to start establishing your relationship with the vet too - in case something arises PLUS like alot of us we had to go to several vets to find the right one- as not all vets are keen on chi's....

·
Registered
321 Posts
The sooner the better. you did good. The breeder may have taken offense to you going that day like you didnt trust her? i would be tickled to death if i was a breeder and had a customer take the pup to the vet right away that shows responsibility and love. :D you go girl 8)

·
Registered
825 Posts
I took Melys to the vets on the way home from the breeders to have her checked out. It put my mind at ease and i had her vaccinated the week after. :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the re-assurance! If anything, by the breeder saying anything about waiting has only made me worried she's trying to hide something - and am glad he'll be in to see the vet right when he comes home!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I wouldn't worry about what the breeder says...the dog is yours now and if you feel its right to bring it to the vet the first day then thats what you do. its better to get an exam done with you right there, just so you can make absolutely sure that everything is fine and your chi is healthy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts