Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ellie pees outside but still poops inside daily. She has 4 places she poops in the house but I never see her do it. It's impossible to keep an eye on her 100% of the time as I work at home. When I stand by her poop and call her over to it, she crawls to me very reluctantly. Clearly she knows that it's hers and that she feels guilty.
What to do? Should i hold her nose close to it and say a strong no-no and then put her outside? My daughter says that is not a good idea as Ellie will hide her poops in new places.
HELP!!!!
Your solutions and ideas would be Greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Can you tether her to ur waist all day since you're home? Then u always have an eye on her or put her in a crate and let her straight outside each time

·
Registered
912 Posts
I agree with Sherri. Keep her on a leash, and attach the leash to your belt or something. She will be happy to be near you, I'm sure. And then she's sure to let you know when she needs to potty (either whining, pacing, trying to get away to go to one of her "spots").
And your daughter is likely correct here. Punishment like that is not a good idea and will lead to other habits to get around that. Only if you catch her actually pooing, then you can make a startling noise and move her to the correct location.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you know her schedule for having a bowel movement? My dogs do their business in the morning and evening. I take them out for a walk in the morning and afternoon to help them take care of their business. I kennel them during the day to keep them from using the floor. Have you thought about putting a potty pad down where she goes? Might save your floor at least while you are working on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your great ideas. I have her tied to my belt right now. I'll let you know if I need further help.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The umbilical leash is a great idea - that would be my first line of defense, in addition to dousing all "used" areas with Simple Solution or a similar enzymatic cleaner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts