Chihuahua People Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry that would be too long of a flight for them. They are always delayed in customs for two hours going to Canada. It makes their time in the crate just too long for me to be comfortable shipping that far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sillymom they are expensive. But I cut no corners with them. All my dogs and puppies get the very best care and the moms are checked before, during and after they have babies. The puppies go to the vet within 3 days of birth and all shots/wormings and physicals are done by my vet. The babies are pre-spoiled with love and toys and treats and the new owners get a huge puppy supply pack with everything the puppy has here. Even a blankey that smells like it's mommy. The longcoat boys (1 is still available) are priced at $1,000 US.

·
Registered
700 Posts
WOW :shock: No offense but I cant see how someone can charge that much for a puppy. you said yourself theyare expensive. I can get a good bread one papered,ect,here for less than half that. Why do breeders charge that much anyways? I think its crazy sorry (jmho)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did say they were expensive. But I have seen others that are almost triple that. Believe me my Vet gets most of it. My last litter shots wormings and physicals was $341 and that just one trip not counting the care for my Sires or Dams. Just about all the rest goes to Petco or Petsmart. I don't know about other breeders but socializing and caring for puppies is a 24 hour job. It's not as easy and cheap as some people think it is.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
we shouldnt have to pay for the care of your sires or dams you were the one who caused the problems by deciuding to breed them not us so why should that be reflected in the price of the pup.

I agree way too expensive - there is no m,oney to be made in breeding which is what great breeders will tell you :wave:

JMHO

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don’t want you to pay for problems. My Sires and Dams don’t go to the vet for problems. They go prior to breeding to prevent any problems. It just cracks me us everyone wants to buy a healthy socialized puppy. But when purchasing a puppy they want the cheapest puppy they can find. I don’t force anyone to purchase my puppies. Just the opposite I screen everyone very carefully and have turned down turned down buyers that I didn’t think could provide the proper environment for a Chihuahua. I don’t make false claims about my puppies either by calling them rare colors or teacups. If you don’t like my puppies or their prices by all means don’t purchase from me. You may find a quality Chihuahua at a cheaper price and if you do and you are positive the Chihuahua is the proper breed for you and you are able to give the puppy a loving life-long home then you should purchase that puppy. It has been my experience that if you purchase from someone that doesn’t spend the necessary money to keep their adults healthy and have them checked for genetic diseases then you are taking a risk when buying a puppy. If you purchase from a newspaper you are most likely get a newspaper quality puppy. If you purchase from a mill or pet store then you can be sure that the millers are not taking care or providing good living conditions for the dogs or puppies. I really don’t understand this attack especially or why anyone rants at me and then call me crazy. If you knew me then you would know how much I love this breed and how much that hurts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't believe that, I found my little male out of the newspaper for 500.00 and his dad is a champion show dog and very socialized, and whose to say if buying from a breeder that your not getting what you call a newspaper quality dog. At least you don't call your puppies tiny or teacup to get more money for them, but to pass on the cost of the dam and sire to the consumers that is not right, I agree with ozzysmom, that should be money out of your pocket,, that would be like if you had one pup that need alot of vet care before you sold him or her and you add that cost to the price of the pup, I thought that was part of the chance's that you take when you breed. Its like with my first litter I had spent well over 400.00 for vet bills on the little male that did not make it, I took my lose and did not add that to the cost of the females that I sold, nor any other care for my female or the breeding.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't believe that
I am so happy you were able to find such a good deal. That is not usually the case. To be totally honest you will find that breeders do make money on some litters. I too have lost money taking care of a little one not doing well and that did not change the price of his littermates. Since you are a breeder you know the cost and work involved. I am very happy for you that you are in a position to absorb the cost of testing your adults and caring for your puppies and not making any profit at all on your puppies.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well I have to say I am glad you love your chi's and take good care of them before you sell them and I am glad you screen whoever wants to buy one that is great, but we bread our German Shepards years ago and I remember the expense was not that bad. We took our female in before we let them breed and then the Vet gave us a flat fee for us to bring in all the pups for shots and check up. They ate from mom most of the time and we started them on puppy food towards the end before letting them go, we did screen the people buying too and did turn some down. They (mom and dad) had champion bloodlines, dad had Schuetzin (sorry not sure how to spell that) and they were AKC and we sold the pups for $350, we still came out ahead. We even wondered if we were selling them for too much. We knew we wanted to keep this wonderful bloodline out there, but knew we didn't want to continue, because these after all were our pets. I guess what I am saying is that I guess if you are doing it for the money only, then you got the right price tag on them, but if it is for the love of the breed and finding good homes, then give new owners some slack and let them spend that extra money on toys, food, shots and vet cost, crates and etc. By the way my new chi was $400 and I thought that was high, she is AKC also and went to the vet twice before I bought her and she came w/TONS of things that a puppy would need.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i just have to say soemthing about the whole newspaper dog thing....Mia I found in the Newspaper for 300 dollars...she tooo came with a couple of toys and a bag of food and her shots.....but she is diffently not a boring old newspaper dog she is not black and white her personality is very colorful...and as a responcible owner I did go and meet her parents and I also saw where she lived I also was screened buy the breeders tooo and it was NO PUPPYMILL she just had the 2 parents both in Great Shape....The only thing that Mia didn't come with was the papers but I can get the papers on her if I wanted to but I didn't really care about the papers all I wanted was a happy pet and no papers r going to tell u that this pet is wonderful it just tells u they r purbreed....but that was a choice I made....the owner told me anytime i can get the papers but for a added cost but i purfured to spend the money i saved on papers for a bed some bones a collar and other things for Mia.... I don't think that mia is "newspaper quality dog" U can sell ur pups for however much u want that is up to u but no need in saying that since i saved money and found Mia in a paper that she isn't of good quality...and i don't know a whole lot of breeding yet but how many times do u have to check the parents for genitic stuff...i would only think the first time u breed....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am very sorry. I did not mean to imply that anyone that purchased their Chi from a newspaper has a inferior puppy or one of less quality. I guess you will find good quality along with poor quality everywhere. But I don't think it is right for everyone to attack me. You asked how much I just answered. I am not far off on my prices I am cheaper than some more expensive than others. check out the chihuahua listings at puppy find and you will see what I mean. Again I do apologize I did not intend to offend anyone. This is just an example I do not know this breeder or anything about her dogs or breeding practices.
http://www.puppyfind.com/?act=searc...y_id=671456652415708343766a&page_num=0&page=1

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You guys have to remember though, some breeders are breeding their dogs and that is their sole job. Alot of breeders' blood, sweat and tears go into raising and breeding their animals and improving the breed they specialize in. Not like a puppy mill, but since their dogs and puppies are their life and furkids, that is what consumes most of their time. I doubt most *good* breeders really have the time to have a full time job since breeding dogs and taking care of puppies takes alot of time, they are going to need to make some sort of profit to take care of themselves and their dogs. (I am not saying though, that a good breeder doesn't have another "job", I'm just giving *an example*) I'm also not saying that 1000 dollars is a set, *awesome* price, but just looking on the other side of the spectrum. I know a lady that shows her three portugese water dogs and all three of her dogs were 1000 dollars and that is the price I see alot of those dogs going for. So sometimes for people that want "show dogs" they are a bit pricier (another example). Yes, I know there are just as awesome, afordable chihuahuas out there but I'm just making a point. I know it's quality and not quantity. Let's just stop ranting and raving on this breeder. It's clear she loves her chihuahuas and the breed as much as we do, so let's just stop complaining about the way she prices her puppies. :wave:

Jessica

(BTW, he's a cutie! :D )

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:wave: Thank you, Yes it is my only job. That and taking care of my father who is in his 6th year of Lou Gerighs. If it were not for my dogs somedays I wouldn't make it. I do love them very much.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Jessica, you are right about some things, but I really don't think we are complaining. It is ok to have a difference of opinion, or my goodness, this would be a boring board if everyone said, "Yes, you are right and that is great and I agree....."
I honestly think the same as you that this breeder does care about her pups and that is WONDERFUL. But what I am saying is that her price is too high, just an opinion. She may even be the sweetest person, who knows. I just wouldn't say well, "Jo Blo sells his dogs for $1000, so I will too!" Even if this is their full time job, that was their choice.I guess then they shouldn't say they put that price on the dog cuz of quality, just say, I need to make a living!! I have to say when I did start to look into showing my shepards year ago, I did find that alot of the "Champions" were champions because their owner "knew somebody" or they were someone special (or they would have someone else show the dog who was "known") and I am not kidding about, it is true. Not all Champions are because of this, but this did teach me that I really could care a less if champion bloodlines are in my pets. It really doesn't make me think that it is a better quality pet at all. $1000, is just way out of line for a chi, sorry, but it is.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Jessica, you are right about some things, but I really don't think we are complaining. It is ok to have a difference of opinion, or my goodness, this would be a boring board if everyone said, "Yes, you are right and that is great and I agree....."
Well, maybe complaining wasn't the word and I know it is okay to have a difference of opinion because the world would be alot boring that way. I just feel this was almost pratically a classified add and it's not like this breeder was promoting everyone to sell their dogs for 1000 dollars. I agree that champion bloodlines are not neeeded for a quality *pet* because even dogs at the shelters and rescues can make quality pets.

I guess then they shouldn't say they put that price on the dog cuz of quality, just say, I need to make a living!!I did find that alot of the "Champions" were champions because their owner "knew somebody" or they were someone special (or they would have someone else show the dog who was "known") and I am not kidding about

Most breeders don't just begin breeding dogs to make a living. (Not that you said that *at all*, but I'm just adding all this :) ) It usually ends up the other way around, because investing into breeding dogs with good genetic backrounds, having money set aside for vet bills and care for puppies is expensive. Also supplies can be added in there and worming and shots alone for puppies. From what *I have seen* a *hobby breeder* usually ends up spending countless hours devoted to their dogs and puppies and spending time trying to improve every aspect they can of their breed which takes alot of time. That's why I said it was like a "full time job". I have to say champion bloodlines aren't all that matters (especially if you want a pet), but I know that genetic backround and health guarentees do count when looking for a quality dog or puppy, because we all don't want to run into problems down the road with our babies.

Basically you will see price variation for every breed, but even though I hate to admit this I see alot of chihuahuas priced for even *OVER* a thousand dollars. Not even in chihuahuas, even in other breeds. It really comes down to everyone's preference and the breeder's preference which is fine because you will always see everyone has their own views. :) :p

Alright, I'm done adding my two cents. LOL! :wave: Sorry for the rambles in this thread!

If it were not for my dogs somedays I wouldn't make it. I do love them very much.
Don't we all! I know on bad days seeing Harley and my other two dogs, Dakota and Savannah is all the medicine I need!! :D

Jessica

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.