Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cutting the lawn (we live on some acreage outside of town) and I came around the back. It was absolutely gorgeous out today so I put the pups in the exercise pen on the deck. As I came around the corner of the house on the mower, I saw a HUGE bird swooping very low towards my deck. It couldn't have been more than 30 feet from the deck and coming in low. I literally killed the engine on the mower, jumped off and ran for the deck. Then another hawk/eagle type bird (it's little pair I guess) came flying by as well (but not as close). They then turned and flew further away. Clearly it was checking out the dogs. I wouldn't have thought with 3 together, one would attack, but now i am in the market for a cargo net for over the pen. No more out where I can't see them. My heart was pounding. Any suggestions for a topper for the ex pen would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
wow! that was close! ex-pens do have covers available. You can just Google ex-pens.
or, at Babies-R-Us you can get a mesh playpen cover. It has elastic around the edges and
fits over the playpen.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That was scary!! I know the feeling. Our house backs up to a nature preserve and we always have flying birds. It scares me to even let the dogs out at night because I am afraid of owls. We have a small, fenced in yard and I wish I could net the whole darn thing! The thing I have learned is they are always out there on clear sunny days. I never see them on rainy or over cast days.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Oh no, that is so scary. Your heart must have been pounding. I think I have seen them at BabiesR Us. Poor pups.
We have egrets walking around our property here in Florida but they are harmless even though they are tall. We saw a baby alligator on the edge of the pond behind our house and I nearly died!!!!!:(

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We've had the exact problem this year! We've had our play yard for a couple years now & this year we've had 3-4 (we're thinking adolescent eagles or turkey voltures) birds who start circling within 5 minutes of the pups being out. We got some netting & covered the play yard now. They don't have access to the play yard when we're not home...but we always keep it open during the day if we are around. Now I don't have to worry which has been a huge relief! This is what we used for covering...it's just soft/rope netting. We do need to get a pole for the center so I don't have to poo scoop bent over LOL...but for now it's working great.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a great idea. I was going to go by the Tractor Supply store to see if they had a large cargo net I could zip tie on. Thanks.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Birds of prey are very Brazen. When we first moved here we were standing on our front porch. Yoshi, my huge past Dane our Weim my and I. I saw a shadow and looked up and a Hawk came with in 5 or 6 foot of getting Yoshi. Thank goodness I saw the shadow and swooped Yoshi up. They just do not care and they are so quick and so quiet. I am especially afraid of owls as it is dark out and they are silent as well. I have been on to hubby to build some type of large enclosure for them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts