Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little Arnie, a long haired chihuahua is a singleton puppy weighing 2 lb at 5 months. Since we had him we have had him on "Carna 4 Chicken" kibble which has zero artificial ingredients and or fillers. We also mix it with the Native organic chicken dog broth and carrots. For the past couple of weeks he has been itchy but nothing terrible. The vet checked for fleas and mites, but confirmed there was nothing. Speed up to the past 3 days, he wakes up scratching his face and muzzle on his paws, carpet, and pretty much anything he can get a hold of. He is also biting his front legs constantly. He does this throughout the day, but more common in the morning when he wakes up from his bed. He sleeps with some treats and dolls that he brings in there, but we are thinking we may take that out. It also looks like his back hair is slightly thinning (see pics below). Just starting this morning he didn't want to eat, but built up an appetite by the end of the day. We don't know if this allergy related (environmental/food) or puppy hair phase. We had a short haired chihuahua for 15 years before him, but new to the long haired chi world. The vet advised that we get an allergy blood test to see if he has any allergies. Any one go through this with their little one? Any advice is welcomed. Thank you in advance for your help! xo

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Can the vet run an allergy panel? It sounds like allergies but it can be tricky to figure out what’s causing it by elimination.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They said 5 month old is very young to do, but will do this Saturday if we really want. We think we are going to get it done. We feel so bad for him because he is itching his face so much and biting his front legs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Obviously the vet is the best bet but my dog had that same issue and we found out she was allergic to chicken she would just scratch all over we switched her food to make sure that I didn’t have chicken in it and she stopped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We took him to 2 Vets, discussed with another vet over the phone and talked to a renowned allergy testing lab. They all strongly advised against allergy test saying that it is not used to diagnose what kind of allergy he is suffering from, but rather confirm that it is an allergy problem. They said it is not reliable and could give a false positive or negative.

The recommendations we received are as follows (we decided to give them all a shot because we just want little Arnie to have some relief):
(1) Switched his food to Ziwi Peak Lamb natural food and single ingredient lamb tripe treats by Ziwi Peak (Picked up all chicken and beef treats around the house );
(2) Washed all bedding and blankets with allergen free detergent (We are using laundress signature detergent);
(3) Throw out 3-year-old dog bed from our last dog who passed away last year;
(4) Get an air purifier; and
(5) Put a new dust mite protector on our bed for when he visits.

The vet said that it's difficult to diagnose because he is only 4 months an 26 days old. They think it may be a chicken allergy, grain allergy, dust mite allergy, mold or mildew allergy, reaction to his 4 rounds of the distemper vaccination, pollen/grass allergy, or dry skin.

His hair hasn't grown back much, but may just be his puppy hair shedding or seasonal shed. What is strange is that the fur shedded off in a perfect line, but he isn't bald. He has a darker color, hair (not fur) in its place. Again, only in a line. It is very strange, but perhaps this happens to long hair chis? Any experience with this?

We will keep you posted. We have had several dogs over the years, but have never seen this before. Thank you all for your kind advice and input. We appreciate anything you can share! xo

·
Registered
28 Posts
How long has it been since you switched his food? Was there any ingredients in his current food that was in the last food?
If food allergy it will take some time to stop itching. This line of hair your speaking of can you send a picture?
I seen a pic above not sure if that dark line is what you speak of, do u use a spot on treatment for flea med?
Puppies coats can and do change as they get older and even after haircuts color and texture can change.
This can be figured out, just may take a lil bit of time.. process of elimination!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also dogs allergies can change , my girl didnt start having issues with chicken until she was 6-7yr around there and she could even go back to not being allergic to it I believe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We got him at 8 weeks of age and he was on royal canin (beef pork blend). We made the decision to switch him to carna 4 chicken a couple of weeks thereafter. We switched him to Ziwi peak lamb 1 week ago. I took a pic of his line of hair just now. He isn't bald but the fur fell out and now he has a line of darker (horse hair textured hair) which seems to be what he has under the rest of his fur. So its as if his fur fell out, but the darker undercoat hair stayed, but this all happened just in one line and at the same time he started biting his legs and scratching his face.
IMG_5289.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
That will probably be his adult coach it sounds like that’s what that is.
At this point is he just scratching his face or is he just scratching all over? With our dog she scratched all over and we found out she was allergic to chicken but I suppose maybe they could also just scratch the face. I would definitely do the allergy panel, just keep track of what you feed the dog and how the dog responds and what the process of illumination you should be able to figure it out between you and the vet there is definitely a lot of changes it sounds like you’re putting this puppy through which makes it harder to figure out what’s wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He seems to be sleeping a lot more the past couple of days. How long after you fed your chi chicken did he start to scratch? How long after you stopped feeding him chicken did he stop scratching? He is just scratching his face and biting his legs. He isn't scratching anywhere else. It's the worst in the morning immediately after he leaves his dog bed. Then just randomly throughout the day. He doesn't scratch immediately after he eats either, although that doesn't mean much as I am told. Thank you for your help Groomer101!!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine had been eating chicken for years wow that ingredient was in her food and then all of a sudden she just was really itchy all over and actually I found out pretty quick that she was allergic to chicken I was talking to a coworker who was in school to be a vet and that was the first thing she told me was that so I switched the food and sure enough that was it.
I’m not sure how long it took for her to stop scratching that was several years ago but I would think it would take a little bit a time probably not any longer than a week I mean if you completely stop feeding that ingredient once it’s out of the system and you’re not putting any more in the system it shouldn’t be irritating the system anymore. When your dog gets out of the bed and start scratching does he or she do anything in between that time? the Pup was just sleeping woke up and was scratching? Your welcome

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He sits in his bed waiting for us to get up. When we tell him good morning he runs right out of his bed and directly over to our bed (doesn't stop to pee on his grass pad nearby or grab a treat). We pick him up into our bed and he starts to have a "scratching fit" while he says hello giving kisses and cuddles. throughout the day he tries scratching his face on the side of the door, his other bed or his paws. Sometimes he even lets out a little yelp because he seems so uncomfortable. We washed him last night with earthbath shampoo and conditioner. It gives him some relief (which doesn't make sense) but stills end up scratching as time goes by. Thats why we washed all bedding and got a purifier in case its contact allergies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does he have dew claws? I ask bc my pup he will yelp bc he rubs his face with side of his paw and he has scratched his eye before. Now with that being said it doesn’t mean that is why your dog is yelping he could be uncomfortable I mean I’m sure he is if he’s scratching all the time. I do know that special shampoo you like that can ease their skin for a bit, if it was some thing he was kind of coming in contact with washing him would be potentially washing that off but it could just also be that it relieves it until it doesn’t versus you’re washing it off and he feels better and then comes in contact with it again and starts scratching again, which you said u have switched soap and washed stuff so idk
Definitely a dilemma I’m not really sure what else to tell you unfortunately other than to definitely do that allergy panel. Im sorry I couldn’t be of more assistance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for this thread! We inherited our Joley and for the month she is scratching like crazy. I’ll switch her dog food today and see what happens .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts