Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First question my lil chi used to always pick at her food like take a small bit, sit down eat it and come back. but recently shes not eating nd im on d ground( like a ejit) trying to give her lil bits on a fork which she takes sometimes :-/ any ideas what to do?

nd secondly shes biting her paws alot too any ideas what this could mean

mitch :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think you need to show her some tough food love.

Assuming she doesn't have a health issue (this is important!) I'd pick a healthy food you like for her, offer it for 15 minutes or so, and pick it up at the end of 15 minutes. She gets offered the same food, out of the same bowl, the same way at dinner. If she still doesn't eat, repeat at breakfast. Then the next day's dinner. Most won't go longer than a day or two.

Our multi-dog household takes it one step further; if a dog leaves their bowl, there's no coming back to it. I'll pick it up before someone else eats food they shouldn't. No 15 minutes here - if a dog sniffs and walks, they don't eat. I don't have time to coax and babysit unattended food bowls for a quarter of an hour.

We don't have any picky/slow eaters. ;)

Note that if you feed canned or raw, make sure it is still fresh enough each time you put the food down. Don't expect her to eat crusted over old food. Though, ours like crusted over food LOL

Also note that if for any reason you suspect she has a health problem, take her to a vet.

You said it yourself - you're down on the floor offering her a fork like an eejit. Bet she loves that! ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha thank you for your reply,

ya i bet she loves getting hand fed alright :p ya thats a good idea kinda take it away so she cant have it at her own leisure, we feed her a mix of nuts and canned food no she doesnt have any health problems thank god.

thank you for you reply again :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we tried tough food love today and it worked she ate all her food without me on the ground lol..

I will keep an eye on her biting her foot

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Sounds like an allergy to the food! The food is making her feel sick that's why she's picking. She ate today because she was probably starving. I don't think tough love is what's going on here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts