Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I was wondering if anyone has tried puting the pee pad into those doggie litter boxes.

There are occasional accidental "spills" or feet on and butt off the pee pad accidents so i thought maybe if i put the pee pad in the litter box there wouldnt be that kinda thing going on but im not sure how theyd react to actually getting into it.

2. Are those automatic waterers ok? Is the water still okay after 2 or 3 days??

My friends mom has always used them (for their cat and pomeranian) and i always thought that the water and food would get old and icky or something lol. Just curious if anyone uses them and if theyre sanitary. It seems weird to me that he water wouldnt be be bad after a couple days.

Just some questions that hit me today lol Thanks guys :wave:

·
Registered
642 Posts
I tried the whole putting the pee pad in the litter box when I first got Ella and she didn't go for it. That's not to say it doesn't work though because I have heard many people that have done it and it works out great, I guess it just depends on the dog.

The automatic water feeder, I have never used, but I think it would be best to change it everyday. I wouldn't want to drink water that has been sitting out for two days, so I don't think my chi would either! :D

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i was thinking about the water. seems sorta gross lol i guess ill just have to try it out. i hope it works....otherwise ill have to try plan b which is buying a chair mat (for rolly chairs on carpet) and puting that under the pee pad.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I doubt Angel would like an auto waterer either. She likes cold, fresh water so I end up freshening her water frequently each day or she won't drink it.

I don't know if it will help or not but I use a plastic frame for the pee pads. Got it at Petsmart for about $15 I think it was. It is meant to hold the pad in place so that the pups are less likely to tear it up or drag it around the house. I have found that it creates a nice raised border around the pad and that has helped Angel to stay in place a little bit better. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I bought one of those automatic waterers (waterers?) that circulates the water continuously... I thought it would be great for the kids to have clean, circulated water.

OmaKitty wouldn't go near it to save her life. But she's weird and has issues with moving water.

Cooper was scared to death of the thing but if I moved the stationary water bowl, he'd drink out of it ... under protest.

The only reason I stopped using it, other than the fact OmaKitty would kill me if I didn't... is the filter needs to be changed VERY often and they're not cheap. Also, if you don't change it often, this white crud (I'm guessing it's lime residue or something) would form around the outer edges of the drinking area and it would be visible in the water as well. And those things are a pain in the tuckus to clean.

Also, when the water reservior would get a teensy bit low, it would start making this horrid sucking sound that would scare the poop out of me, Cooper and OmaKitty.

LOL Hope that helps. :D

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies i have the frame already i thought it owuld keep them in better and it probably does but i notice theres pee on the plastic pieces a lot so i think some still gets off. i justh ave a feeling the litter box wont fly with them

·
Registered
450 Posts
Corky has a "litter box" that we put pee pads in. It is just a rubbermaid container with the front cut out for him to get into it. We approached it like we have done with our cats and box training them. We put him in there for about 3-4 days then he started going on his own. Now he pees and poos in there and we don't have potty pads all over our house! One thing we did do is cut a piece of carpet and put it in the bottom of the box and the pee pad on top so it felt like a pee pad on carpet for him. Then the pad didn't slide around on the plastic either!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I started Pixie out with the pee-wee pads in a litter box (It is just a basic cat litter box from Family Dollar but not the kind with a top on it). She went in it with no problem. My problem with the pads was she could only use them once or twice and they would smell and I just didn't like the look of the wet pad in the box. Plus at the rate she was using them they were getting kind of expensive. I instead switched to flushable litter. It works so much better for me. After she pees I just scoop it up and flush it away. It looks neater (except that you have to keep up with the vacuuming since a little litter gets on the rug), doesn't smell and she seems to like it. As soon as she has to go I'll see her run to the box. After she poops she even tries to hide it with the litter. It is hilarious to watch. The kind I use is called Swheat Scoop and it works great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought one of those automatic waterers (waterers?) that circulates the water continuously... I thought it would be great for the kids to have clean, circulated water.
(waterers?) lol! cooper's mom is just too funny! i talked it over with the pups, and they agree the sucking noise those things make is awful! (actually my in-laws have one for their dogs, but mine won't use it when we visit. they demand their own bowl of water)

if you can get your pup to go in the litter box with litter in it, i envy you. mine are both far too snooty to even step in the gravel, and acted insulted when i suggested they do so. :roll: we also tried the puppy pad frame thing, but basically all it did was get peed on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts