Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been getting into the swing of having a chi and it's been fantastic! Oscar is 3 and surprisingly well behaved considering his past. I have lots of questions however concerning his care etc. Any answers or advice would be wonderful!

1. Not related to Oscar but what does the chi god/goddess and king/queen bit mean in some of the members names?

2. How do I post pics from my IPhone? I would love to introduce my baby to everyone!

3. Bully sticks..how often should I give them to him? He looooves them

4. I'm planning to switch his food to something better than Royal Canin and was wondering of there's a preferred way to do this? I've heard lots of positives about ziwipeak and also was curious where it's available (I live in Canada). Is there a way I could give him that but also have some kibble out for him when I'm at work?

5. He needs to lose around 1lb (he's around 9 lbs now and is a bit chubby). Any recommendations about the best way up help him lose weight? Unfortunately my work schedule is shifts so I'm not home at the same times each day sp it's difficult to get him on a good feeding schedule.

I think that's it for now but I'm sure ill think of a few more questions soon. Thanks for all the help I am so grateful I found this site.

Mandie xx

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have an i phone and thats how i send pics to this forum.I downloaded photo bucket to my i phone for starters.If you would like for me to give you step by step instructions,I will.These phone take beautiful pictures.As far as the food,you need to look at dog food advisor.com.#5 is the best food,with # 1 being the worst .We feed blue buffalo,(from petsmart)hope this helps some.Let me know about the step by step instructions for i phone

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I'll answer all of your questions one by one.

1. Not related to Oscar but what does the chi god/goddess and king/queen bit mean in some of the members names?

This is based on the number of posts that a user has. The more posts, the higher level you are.

2. How do I post pics from my IPhone? I would love to introduce my baby to everyone!

You need to use a photo hosting site. I use Photobucket, because they have an iPhone app so I can do it from the computer or my phone. You upload the photo and then copy the
code. Then you paste that code into a comment/new thread text box.

3. Bully sticks..how often should I give them to him? He looooves them

Toby gets one a month, he chews it nearly every day and it lasts that long. I think how often he gets them is up to you. If he eats them fast, I would limit the amount he gets.

4. I'm planning to switch his food to something better than Royal Canin and was wondering of there's a preferred way to do this? I've heard lots of positives about ziwipeak and also was curious where it's available (I live in Canada). Is there a way I could give him that but also have some kibble out for him when I'm at work?

Toby started ZP about two weeks ago and he has been doing amazing! His coat is shiny, no gas, his poo is TINY AND ODORLESS, and my picky eater is not so picky anymore. I could not recommend it more, it is just amazing. Some good places to buy it are:
Amazon Amazon.com: ZiwiPeak Real Meat Grain Free Air Dried Raw Dog Food, Venison, 2.2lb: Pet Supplies
Wag.com ZiwiPeak Daily-Dog Cuisine - Venison Real Meat - Free Shipping
You can definitely feed him ZP and kibble, many people do. Just watch out because some dogs get a tummy problem mixing premade raw and kibble too close together (they are digested at different rates).
As far as kibble goes, I would recommend Acana, Orijen, or Fromm. They are available at specialty pet stores and boutiques. If you go to their websites you can find a list of places that have it near you. If you do not have access to those, try to go for something like Blue Buffalo Wilderness or Nature's Variety Instinct. They are solid options that are more widely available.
Here is the link to Dog Food Advisor. As others have mentioned, your best bet is a 4 or 5 star food. Dry Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Advisor

5. He needs to lose around 1lb (he's around 9 lbs now and is a bit chubby). Any recommendations about the best way up help him lose weight? Unfortunately my work schedule is shifts so I'm not home at the same times each day sp it's difficult to get him on a good feeding schedule.

I would feed a bit less than the recommend level. Here is a calculator based on the dog's ideal weight, activity level, and the amount of calories per cup or kg of food. Dog Food Calculator

I hope that helped! Welcome.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm ok I've gotten as far as downloading photobucket and uploading pics from my phone but I still can't figure out how to post them on here :(. Pupluv168 are they large bully sticks because Oscar goes through on of the small ones in a few hours!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
It's hard to add anything to what Ashely said but I'll add my own experiences.

I also used photobucket. Upload your pic to the app, go to the links bit, copy the direct link, go into the post a thread, click on the picture icon (one with mountains) and delete the http bit and then paste your code and save.

I feed ZP and I get it from amazon with free delivery. Mylo often doesn't eat all of his so it stays in his bowl and he eats it when he's ready...it doesn't appear to spoil. I do leave kibble out but he hasn't really gone near it since feeding ZP.

I don't know about bully sticks as they're hard to get and expensive in this country but I intend on getting some once I can afford the bulk price.

Feed him a bit less that recommended, remember to take any treats out of allowance and make sure he gets lots of exercise.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Hmm ok I've gotten as far as downloading photobucket and uploading pics from my phone but I still can't figure out how to post them on here :(. Pupluv168 are they large bully sticks because Oscar goes through on of the small ones in a few hours!
The last time, I got these from wag.com Pets Choice Pharmacuetical Bully Stick - 12" - Free Shipping

They last him 3-4 weeks because he loses his focus and doesn't chew it for more than 15-60 minutes a day, depending on his mood.

But they will vary depending on the dog's size, how hard they chew, and how long per day they chew.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'll answer the ziwi peak question since we can't order it off of amazon being in Canada. I get mine from Tisol pet supplies. I believe there is one in Victoria. If not bark bath and beyond, dog dish and friends, island pet source, paws on cook and pets west are all in Victoria and they have it

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I would probably transition over 1-2 weeks as Denise said. Take it slow at first. If he does well, you can always speed the process up. Monitor his stools. You want them well formed and firm.

Toby had loose stools for the first couple days of transitioning. Then his poop became solid tiny and odorless so I just completely stopped his other food, since it seemed like his body could handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Arrrrgg! I still can't figure out photobucket! I downloaded and transferred pics on there just fine but when I try to get them on this site it says error. First they weren't the right format and then too big? Hellllp! I really really want to show you guys my baby!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
if you are doing it from your i phone do this,
go to photo bucket on the phone
go to upload media(at bottom)choose existing
camera roll
click the pic you want
go to my albums
touch pic you want
touch the little i with a circle around it
touch img
click ok
go to chihuahua forum on your i phone
click forums up top scroll down to pictures
click forum tools on the right hand side
post new thread
put in title
done
touch message box and hold til paste appears
touch paste
click done scroll to bottom and submit new thread.

this is how i do it from my i phone,other people may know a shorter way,but this works for me from my phone,let me know if you have any trouble

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh thank you missydawn! I mangaged to finally get some pics on the site although I had to post each one separately in a new thread..can I just add as many as I want to one thread? Anyways, at least now you guys can see my sweet little guy!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Oh thank you baileysmom! Pets west is really close to my house so that is fantastic to know. I will get it ASAP. Should I just switch directly or sort of wean him onto it??
LOL good luck trying to transition any dog from their old food over to ZiwiPeak with any degree of accuracy, decorum or measured timing - they'll scoff it down, leave the old stuff well alone and look at you asking for more.

Trying to transition gradually in all cases I've read about has been futile, the dog just changes over instantly.

None of mine got loose stools at all but if you're worried about that, have a few chicken wing tips or young lamb ribs etc on hand so he can devour one of them, the bone content will keep his poo nice and firm.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL good luck trying to transition any dog from their old food over to ZiwiPeak with any degree of accuracy, decorum or measured timing - they'll scoff it down, leave the old stuff well alone and look at you asking for more.

Trying to transition gradually in all cases I've read about has been futile, the dog just changes over instantly.

None of mine got loose stools at all but if you're worried about that, have a few chicken wing tips or young lamb ribs etc on hand so he can devour one of them, the bone content will keep his poo nice and firm.
Ok good to know! I wi be thrilled to get him off the royal Canin he was eating before I got him. I was afraid to switch his food up immediately as he was already transitioning to a new home but I think he is ready now. Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
yes after you do everything to photo bucket,go to chihuahua forum,add the first pic you want to add
then if you want to add another to that same post
go to chihuahua forum
scroll down to the thread you want another pic to be added to
when it pulls up,click "post reply" in the top left hand corner
when box comes up,press & hold to paste
click done
scroll down to submit

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.