Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a male Chihuahua 'Hugo' he is 9 months old and very laid back and friendly. I have the opportunity to rehome another male who is 2 years old but I am a little scared that things may not go smoothly.

Hugo is intact and so is the potential new addition. Hugo has never scent marked in the house, will this start with another male?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I would not combine 2 intact males. It would be a contest on who could "claim" the most territory and we all know how they do that!

I did add an intact younger male in with a neutered older male with no problems whatsoever, but they younger male was not sexually mature when introduced to the older male.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I think you should take your male with you to look at he rescue. So you have a first idea whether they could like each other or not.

I have a couple of Chi friends who have 2 unneutered males, one even has 3. They do not mark in the house at all. But of course in the first few weeks they tried to settle who is the "boss". They usually "fight" (looks worse than it is and they don't really bite) to settle who is the boss. Once its settled they were getting along really well. Playing together, cuddling together, etc. I actually know of some dogs, where the unneutered males are getting along better than another friends male and female, as the male constantly tries to show every other male that she is his female. Also marking in the house.

So it's really up to you. I am advising you to have a walk with both first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.