Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to socialize my new pup and I am looking into puppy kindergarten classes other than @ Petsmarts or Petcos. I have found those classes to be too focused on the basics and not have enough emphasis on socializing. As you all know chi's need much socialization at a young age to prevent them from becoming the stereotyped nasty nipper.

Is $300 a lot for an 8 week class at a facility used soley for dog training? I have never attended classes other then at Petsmart and Petco.

Anyone have any stories? Experiences?

This is the website of the $300 class. Ive looked at other training places but none have responded.

Welcome to Happy Dog...

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
$300 does sound a lot in comparrison to me paying £50 for a Puppy Class that was 1hr, 1day per week for 6 weeks. Looking at the website you posted a link to, they offer a lot more than the basic's. Is it one day a week or more.

I couldn't find any information about costs but admit I did only go through the site quickly.

Is there anyone you can actually talk to that has attended any of these courses? Have you managed to get to talk to the trainer as talking to the person themselves can give you good or bad vibes.
Back to the original question, expensive or not, that all depends on you, what do you expect for that amount, what results are you hoping for.

If it were me I'd be looking at what is offered, what I would like from those and then decide on whether the cost is justifiable or not.

Deme x

·
Registered
809 Posts
When I taught classes at a training facility our costs were $150 for a class and we did what those classes say they do. However, we are in TN and I know things are more expensive up in your area. I don't think I could pay that rate for just a puppy class but if you think it's okay then that looks like a nice facility and it looks like they just good methods.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Is there a way to socialize without spending that much money?
My dad happened to be in a nursing home for Alhemizers when Buster was a pup and we would take Buster when we visited him.. All of the folks who lived there adored seeing and petting a puppy, and I found it was a great way of introducing him to lots of different people. It brought lots of happiness to the residents and wonderful experiences for the pup..

We took Neko to visit the children at Vacation Bible school when he was a baby, and this was a great socialization experience for him.. The kids loved having a puppy visit, and Neko just "ate up" all the attention.

Our grandkids also had us bring a couple of our guys to their "show and tell" times at kindergarten. We had two puppies that were only 31 days apart in age at that time, and we just took them both. Again the kids adored the chi babies and the pups couldn't get enough of all that attention. lol

I think there are often opportunities to socialize our puppies that might not be obvious at first glance.. but nursing home visits are one of the most awesome and rewarding experiences for us, for our pups, and the folks who live there.
Blessings, Deb

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I would talk to them and make sure there are other small dogs in the class, I wouldnt want to be the only tiny dog in a sea of giants. If you get a good vibe from them though, it really is up to you whether thats worth the money. It does seem like theyre offering a lot more than the basics.
Personally I would not pay that, Ive found my chis to be pretty smart and trainable, and since shes your fourth dog Im guessing youre pretty experienced with training already. Ive found taking my puppies to parks to be around kids and strangers, walking them downtown where there are people, dogs, and new sights and sounds, have been great ways to socialize (after theyve had needed shots obviously). Ive been lucky that all three of my chis have naturally been pretty friendly anyway, but for us thats been enough. I think there are definitely lots of opportunities to socialize without going to classes.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If an absolute guru was teaching the class, and you live in a major metro, I'd say, OK. I just paid $90 for a nine-week beginner's class (starts in April, first class is orientation) with a locally eminent trainer, but "locally" is a pretty small here.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The PetsMart classes here cost just a bit over $100, as a comparison to what you're paying.

If you're after just straight socialization, you really don't need a class or trainer for that, unless your dog has some serious issues. I rescued Jazz at 11 weeks, and she hasn't had any formal socialization classes or professional training. I just made it my business to take her everywhere I possibly could, lots of treats in hand, got people (strangers) to interact with her, give her treats etc. She very quickly began to associate people with good things (treats) and she's to the point now where anyone can approach her and she greets them like a long lost friend. I also made a point of taking her to PetsMart once a week and walking around with her, so she'd see and interact with plenty of other dogs (obviously well supervised and at my discretion....there were some I wouldn't let her near.)

If you're consistent and don't have an problem animal, it's not difficult to socialize them without formal/professional training.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts