Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am a new owner to a beautiful little Chi. She is 4 months old. The Vet told me to get her fixed by 4 months and the Humane Society tells me by 9 months. She is about 2 1/2 pounds now. I am used to having heavier dogs so I am not sure when she would go into heat for the first time.

Can some of you advise me?

Thank you so much for your time.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board :)

The vet is correct, get her spayed before her first heat cycle. Most have it done around 6 months old :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Welcome!
4 months old sounds YOUNG to me for spaying her, I think 5-6 months is ideal. If you go much past 6 months I would be worried about her coming into heat before youre able to get her in.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I tend toward 6-7 months :) SO 4 months sounds young to me too. You can't go wrong w/ 6 months...I waited til close to 8 months for my girl but that was pushing it, I will do no later than 7 months for pet females from here on out. Not worth all of the health risks that come with allowing them to have a heat.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I agree 4 months is too young.
I know the vets where i live wouldnt even consider doing it that early.
6-7 months is a good time i think.
My Darla was 7 months and hadnt had a heat.
Some can have one earlier though so prob best at 6.
My boy Dillon was also neutered at 7.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
some shelters do 'pediatric' spay and neuters at 8 WEEKS!! I wonder if they do the tinies then too. Kittens have to be 2 pounds, I think. Sue Davis and the chi's

·
Registered
68 Posts
hi there! my little girl was spayed 2 weeks ago, just after she turned 6 months, before her first heat. for months seems a bit young. but every dog is different. has your vet got lots of experience with smaller sized breeds?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts