Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Its been a looong time since i posted on here but now have reason to call on your expertise!

I have two bitches already and yesterday collected a lovely little fella from rescue. He has been locked in a room and not been taken for walks for a good few months I believe due to his prev owners illness and as I understand never lived in a house with a man in it before either, just women.

He sticks to me like glue at the moment and follows me everywhere but seems to be a jolly little fellow, playing with toys and is submissive with my bossy female.

All this stops when my husband comes into the room and he actually shakes and runs to sit on my neck, poor fella.

He is totally fearful of him and i have heard a low growl from him when he hears him coming into the room or up the stairs etc. How should I handle the growl?

My husband has given him some chicken as treats and he has taken them from him and I has sniffed his legs when hes been in the kitchen etc.

I want to do right by this wee chap and wonder if anyone can give me any tips on how to get him to accept my husband, am i doing right by asking my husband to give him chicken and treats etc to encourage trust etc?

One of my bitches was a rescue dog last year and it took a good 6 months for her to settle in but this fella is on another scale with his nervousness.

Any help gratefully received!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Get hubby to sit on the floor with some toys and treats,no eye contact with him and just let him come to hubby,very slowly offer him a treat.Get hubby to feed him his meals so he associates him with good things.Makes you think he was illtreated by a man I'm sure with slow TLC he will accept hubby.Good luck.Any photos ?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I agree. For now, your husband should basically ignore the new fellow, don't look at him, just pretend he's not there. just go about his daily life only, if you can talk him into it, with a Treat Pouch Of Deliciousness on his hip. Whenever he walks into a room the new dog's in, just have him toss a treat on the ground and then sit and do his thing. If the chi decides to creep closer or try to inspect your husband, have him toss another treat, still avoiding eye contact as much as he can. The goal is to take the pressure off and let this little guy figure out he's safe in his own time.

I would ignore his growls, neither encouraging nor discouraging them. Don't really change your behavior when your husband comes into the room. If the chi needs to hide behind you, that's okay. Don't cuddle him or give him any special attention. Just let him hide and come out as he's ready, and reward him with gentle praise and touches as he relaxes.

You can also try getting him a Thundershirt to help reduce anxiety overall, and possibly consider contacting a holistic vet, if you have access to one, to talk about using essential oils to help do the same.

ETA: I would advise that your husband only tosses treats for now, rather than offering them to the chi directly. Once the chihuahua becomes bolder and more comfortable, and approaches your husband willingly, then he can start offering treats from his hand.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all, i will do as you say :)

As for pics, I tried to change my avator to my two girls but no luck as yet so will try again to get all 3 on later.

Thanks again, I had forgotton what a useful site this was!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts