Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Well we have 2 kinds of 4th 'noises'. One is nature will thunder. The other of course is fireworks. Thankfully none of my pets is upset by either. The cat just raises her head, and the two chi's barely do that. That being said the younger one just left for the 'safety' of her pen!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Happy 4th of July Susan
Honestly it's so sad how on this day so many pets will end up loss or even worse hurt and possibly dead. I know tomorrow morning they'll be a "new" dog (maybe even more) running in my neighborhood possibly lost and the "owner" probably not care. They'll also be so many at the pound as "strays" all those dogs sitting in a kennel.

That's good that your dogs don't really get scared. Sunshine won't eat her dinner (happens around the 4th) because she can hear them. I'm not too worried as she ate all her breakfast this morning and I gave a couple treats already which she'll be fine until tomorrow morning.
All the others will still eat but they definitely still get scared. Buddy Bear will refuse to go "potty" when he hears one as I'm sure he knows more are coming. But honestly he's very good at "holding it" and I try my best to let him "go" before it starts so it's never really an issue. Thankfully the boys are quiet when they are going off. Sunshine in the other hand will shake. I've considered calming pills but it's never really become a big issue. Although where I live it starts around June mid month and ends July mid month. So it's about a months worth for the dogs. But of course the 4th is the worse.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I spoke too soon. Yesterday I thought that my little one, Bonnie, was safely in her pen; I went to put her 'to bed' and couldn't find her! I found her all alone, shaking, in the dining room. This dog is the really shy one and doesn't come to me. I have to go get her. She does fine with the other dog--follows her lead. I picked her up and she finally calmed down, and I put her in the pen. She was fine this am. We had thunder plus fire works for 3 solid hours last night. Double whammy for the dogs. The older dog was a little clingy but handled it OK.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Lol same (spoke too soon) Buddy Bear and Jojo refused to eat. Jr still ate though last night
But Sunshine didn't shake much last night shebwas a bit calmer than last year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Taquito hates loud noises. He comes up to me and shakes. The Goldens couldn’t care less about thunder or fireworks, but not Taquito, he really is terrified.
I’ll go get him a thunder shirt this weekend. I know it’s long past the Fourth of July but we still have thunderstorms.
The last time I looked for the shirts they didn’t have a small one for Taquito. They worked for my border collie who was noise sensitive so I’m hoping they will work on Taquito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's hoping the thundershirt works. At least in time for Labor Day! Some dogs get relief from it, and others it doesn't seem to make any difference. Have you tried Rescue Remedy? That might help along with the thundershirt, if it doesn't help alone.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here's hoping the thundershirt works. At least in time for Labor Day! Some dogs get relief from it, and others it doesn't seem to make any difference. Have you tried Rescue Remedy? That might help along with the thundershirt, if it doesn't help alone.

Actually no, I haven’t tried it.

I’ve only used the thunder shirt on my border collie, Billy. It worked for him. He wasn’t *happy* with the storms but he wasn’t panting and panicking.

I thought I’d try it on Taquito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've also considered the Thundershirt for my girl dog. She'll go through phases where she'll hear something like a sandal drop and she'll bark like crazy (mind you she's in another room with the door shut) but I'm honestly not sure if she'd really benefit from one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts