Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 5 m/o long haired chihuahua doesn't seem to have a lot of hair, do I need to consult a doctor? Also, she keeps licking the floor non-stop! Why does she do that, I don't want her to get ill from licking something off the floor. But I have started washing the floor daily due to her nasty habit. How do I stop this?

·
Banned
248 Posts
I know alot of other Chi owners with dogs with thinning hair in different spots. I don't know much about it because I am fairly new to the Chi breed.

But I would consult a vet. Just in case it's allergies.

My blue and tan Chi has a thin coat due to a poor diet and I have also read that Blues tend to have thinner coats due to genetics :confused:. Like I said I am fairly new lol. But I have put her on a better diet and hope that it helps her out.

The licking could even be an OCD issue. I have a 8 year old Pomeranian I recently rescued out of a bad situation and her tongue is constantly going. She licks people (EVERYWHERE), she licks the couch, she licks herself, and she licks the air when there is nothing else to lick. I think it is a habit that she developed because 7 out of her 8 years of life she was kept in a nasty basement with little to no human contact. And so I think it's something that started as boredom and just became a habit.

We try to redirect her to a soft plush toy. And it works for the most part.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Long coats don't get their full adult coats until they are about 2 years old. Before then they can be a bit patchy and long and short in different places. As long as you are feeding her a high quality diet (grain free, high protein) her coat will be fine and will grow in with time.

As for licking the floor, well she is probably just after whatever crumbs she can find. She may be a bit hungry, 5 months is still a puppy so she could probably do with 3 meals a day still. If she stops finishing all her meals you can then cut back to 2 meals a day. If she licks the floor be careful with what you clean it with or she may be licking up harmful chemicals.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
My mom's Chi mix Lilly has licked the floor since she was a puppy. It is like a nervous, OCD type habit she's always had. We made sure she didn't have a salt deficiency and nothing was medically wrong with her. We made sure she wasn't hungry. Then we realized that she was just going to do it because she likes to. It's been almost 11 years now...

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
LC Chi's will loose their puppy coats around 4mo & will start getting their adult coast in soon after. It takes a while for it to grow in & get length though. Some get a nice coat by 7-8mo....some closer to 2yo. Be patient! But there is no need to worry. :)

Licking....we had one that did that. She'd constantly sweep the floor. LOL @ washing the floor every day because of licking...guess with 12 dogs in the house at the moment, a little doggy drool is the least of my worries. :p Doubt she'll get sick from licking your floor as long as your careful about what is left laying around....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Long coats don't get their full adult coats until they are about 2 years old. Before then they can be a bit patchy and long and short in different places. As long as you are feeding her a high quality diet (grain free, high protein) her coat will be fine and will grow in with time.

As for licking the floor, well she is probably just after whatever crumbs she can find. She may be a bit hungry, 5 months is still a puppy so she could probably do with 3 meals a day still. If she stops finishing all her meals you can then cut back to 2 meals a day. If she licks the floor be careful with what you clean it with or she may be licking up harmful chemicals.
Good to hear, I was getting worried about her hair not growing out and also her not growing since she's the most tiniest thing ever.

As for the licking, I have made sure there is nothing on the floors for her to lick up. Any suggestions on cleaners without harmful chemicals? I'm so worried! I don't know what she's doing when I'm at work!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LC Chi's will loose their puppy coats around 4mo & will start getting their adult coast in soon after. It takes a while for it to grow in & get length though. Some get a nice coat by 7-8mo....some closer to 2yo. Be patient! But there is no need to worry. :)

Licking....we had one that did that. She'd constantly sweep the floor. LOL @ washing the floor every day because of licking...guess with 12 dogs in the house at the moment, a little doggy drool is the least of my worries. :p Doubt she'll get sick from licking your floor as long as your careful about what is left laying around....
Haha I am always teasing her about being a good helper and cleaning the floor for me. She licks everything up like a mop while my 4 y/o dog eats everything up like a vacuum. No chores for me!

Just worried about chemicals in the cleaners, any suggestions on safe cleaners?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honey still licks the floor at nearly 7 months - think she's just after any crumbs she can find!! She's definately not hungry, this girl will just eat and eat and eat, my little fat chops! :)
Oh yes, both my chihuahuas always want to eat eat eat. It's like they don't know that they're not hungry! Does she lick the floors non-stop? I'm just worried cause my chi's nose seems a bit red these 2 days...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Haha I am always teasing her about being a good helper and cleaning the floor for me. She licks everything up like a mop while my 4 y/o dog eats everything up like a vacuum. No chores for me!

Just worried about chemicals in the cleaners, any suggestions on safe cleaners?
As I said before I looked into green cleaners because of my pups floor licking habit. The most commonly available, safe, and affordable line I found was called "Green Works" (it's made by the parent compang colorox) they have a multi purpose cleaner I use for my floors now. I recommend it highly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use a steam cleaner for my hard wood floors and 1/10 water/bleach it once a month. chi's and kids are soo close to the ground that any chemical can really irritate there eyes and can really hurt them if injested.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rio is just over a year now and he hasn't got a very long coat either. He got his "trousers" at around 9 months and then the rest of him has gradually started to fill in. At the moment his mane is just coming in and then between 2 and 3 years the rest of the coat should fill in.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I use a steam cleaner too--but use bleach all of the time (just a dab of the bleach cleaner in each "tank" full). I don't have any *HUGE* lickers right now though. A couple of my older puppies lick here & there but nothing like my former Lulu use to. (she was alllllways sweeping the floors!) I have also put Natures Miracle in the steam cleaner too (more like 1 parts NM & 5 parts water). I think that's quite safe.... But steam cleaners are the way to go with dogs!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts