Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

Ok I have a 7-8 month old female (Shayla) that seems a little slow growing in the mind.
But to the beginning of the issue, we bred and kept one female and the mother (Shylo) it's now 7-8 months later and we bought a little female Pug she was about 5-6 weeks old and when we brought her in she started nursing on our Shylo and of course Shylo claimed her and got milk ect..

BUT our little 7 month old starting acting out!
She would not come to us or even look at us, she hates the little Pug and is mean to her, and she started sleeping with my mom and won't even come in the bedroom, and she has slept with us the whole 7-8 months lol..

The crazy thing is that she is now bullying her mother around and also trying to nurse on her but she's almost an adult herself and she won't let the little Pug anywhere near Shylo.
If we try to pet or play with Shylo the 7 moth old will attack her and try to stop us then she tries to nurse.

The Pug is not nursing anymore, so I don't understand the jealousy or understand what the issue is or what to do about it.

It seems very crazy to me, never heard of a 7-8 month old almost adult dog trying and wanting to nurse.
She will jump on her like attack her, then tries to get some milk which is not even there anymore.

Are we crazy or is the dog lol?
I've never seen a 7-8 month old try to nurse. She only does this to the mother if we are trying to play with her or the Pug is around.
She has been doing this for 2 months now..
I thought maybe she would give it up and stop but nope, still doing it.
Once she sees that Shylo has no milk she will stop and go lay down..

Any ideas or tips?

Amanda

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
How have you been handling the behavior so far? A lot of time the reason things like this continue isn't because of the dogs action; but because of the human's response to it. Are you correcting them (either verbally, shaking can of pennies, etc.) any time one dog tries dominating/attacking the other? It really needs to 'get the point across' to them; as if you try correcting them and they don't pay attention to you, the excited voices can just be encouraging. Basically you need to step up and remind them you are in charge; as it sounds like with all of the chaos that they are all fighting to be on top. This kind of stuff happens when the dogs do not feel that there is a secure leader. Does that make sense? Try searching "Nothing in Life Is Free" training methods and that should help you establish your spot as pack leader.

And I feel so bad for the pug, why do you have her so young? Orphan I'm assuming?? In my state it's illegal to sell a pup under 8 weeks, thank goodness as some people were trying to get rid of them as early as 6 weeks. O_O That's a crucial time that they really should be with their littermates. Especially if she is still trying to nurse; she may have already been weaned to eating solid food but it almost sounds like she was rushed into it. =( Poor girl, what's her story??

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi! Your dog is NOT trying to take over the house. :) This is a case of resource guarding. For more info and what to do check out this sticky on another group. It will definitely explain it better than I can as well as tell you how best to handle it.

Resource Guarding, causes, prevention and modification

The bottom line is that she sees her mother and you as valuable resources and is trying to guard you from the new dog. Very common and very fixable.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
We had gotten a kitten that was 7 wks old from the pound, and he would try and nurse off my male dog. Needless to say Frisco was NOT happy, but I called the vet and he said that for some its normal. Though it does sound like behavioral issues too. Maybe a little jealousy also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well to be honest it may partly be our fault cause she is our baby. She is very spoiled and babyfied, we always gave in to her and what ever she wanted in the end, we are BIG pushovers. We never ever leave home without her ect.. Then we brought in the Pug and she just totally disowned us!

The Pug only nursed for like 5-6 days then it was over and Shylo's milk dried back up that's when Shayla started acting out and starting fight's with her mother and trying to get milk from her, I laughed at first cause I found it so silly that she is that old and trying to do that but now it's passed funny. She needs to stop.

The last few days she seems to be doing some better at not getting on the new Pug BUT now she just acts all innocent and wags her tails as she sneaks in between us and the other 2 dogs, she kinda nicely moves them out of the way kinda scoots them right over and slips in there..

Also my mistake, I found her papers, we got the Pug/Chi at the pet shop when she was 7 weeks old.

Thanks, checking out that link now!

Oh and as for what we have been doing, well we don't ever hit our pets we just don't believe in it so we just pick Shayla up and set her down in another place, away from Shylo or the Pug.
It is so strange to see, I'll have to record it just make a video I guess. Of how she first jumps on her mother then tries to nurse lol.. I just pick her up shake my head and say (there's no milk for you there silly girl) and her poor mom just thinks she nuts, mom is playing back with her when Shayla is acting being mean I think!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I agree this sounds like resource guarding to me. That link as well as a google search of "resource guarding" should give you a lot of ideas about how to correct your behavior.

We all love our dogs and like to baby them, unfortunately problems happen when we baby our dogs in a way that makes them think they own us. I agree though, never hit your dogs (yelling isn't much help either)! But correcting problem behavior isn't mean, it actually makes for a happier dog.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That link sounds a little bit like what she is doing, but it talks about the behavior with clothes, food dishes, toys, ect..
Does really talk about RG her mother or us lol..

She don't fight over food or toys, def. doesn't chew on objects she shouldn't.
She really doesn't try to claim or control anything but us petting her mother and her trying to nurse.. Humm..

Thank you..

Yeah I know we shouldn't give in to alot of stuff and need to stop babying her on the matter. maybe it's time to bring in the kennel..

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
A dog can resource guard anything, people, places or things (I was the resource being guarded by a foster dog for a while at our house). Food motivated dogs would be more prone to guard food, "lap dogs" would be more prone to guard people etc... But I am sure all kinds of resource guarding can be seen with all kinds of dogs.

It sounds like you are on the right track though. Good luck making peace in your household- that seems to be a constant struggle with dog owners everywhere :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
We all love our dogs and like to baby them, unfortunately problems happen when we baby our dogs in a way that makes them think they own us. I agree though, never hit your dogs (yelling isn't much help either)! But correcting problem behavior isn't mean, it actually makes for a happier dog.

Good luck!
Precisely!!! A "correction" is not hitting; that is a huuuuge no-no. A lot of people think that physical reprimand is the only way to correct a bad behavior but that's not the case and often can be detrimental. Many respond very well to verbal commands, shaking a can of pennies or even a squirt bottle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well to be honest it may partly be our fault cause she is our baby. She is very spoiled and babyfied, we always gave in to her and what ever she wanted in the end, we are BIG pushovers. We never ever leave home without her ect.. Then we brought in the Pug and she just totally disowned us!

The Pug only nursed for like 5-6 days then it was over and Shylo's milk dried back up that's when Shayla started acting out and starting fight's with her mother and trying to get milk from her, I laughed at first cause I found it so silly that she is that old and trying to do that but now it's passed funny. She needs to stop.

The last few days she seems to be doing some better at not getting on the new Pug BUT now she just acts all innocent and wags her tails as she sneaks in between us and the other 2 dogs, she kinda nicely moves them out of the way kinda scoots them right over and slips in there..

Also my mistake, I found her papers, we got the Pug/Chi at the pet shop when she was 7 weeks old.

Thanks, checking out that link now!

Oh and as for what we have been doing, well we don't ever hit our pets we just don't believe in it so we just pick Shayla up and set her down in another place, away from Shylo or the Pug.
It is so strange to see, I'll have to record it just make a video I guess. Of how she first jumps on her mother then tries to nurse lol.. I just pick her up shake my head and say (there's no milk for you there silly girl) and her poor mom just thinks she nuts, mom is playing back with her when Shayla is acting being mean I think!
On where I bolded your post.. this is exactly what she should do. She is gaining what she wants in a polite non confrontational way. If they other dogs are all good with it than dont intervene. Dogs naturally steal from each and move position around each other the time. I put out 5 bowls of food and about halfway through they all start playing musical bowls. If ones bowl gets taken they go to another one. No fussing and no grumbling. Just the way dogs work with one another.

I'm wondering what the mother dog does when she tries to nurse? You mention that once she sees there is no milk she loses interest and moves on. If the dogs are handling non confrontationally on their own just let them handle it. I only get involved if necessary. Most of the times dogs can work things out if given the chance.

If they are not working things out on their own and you do need to guide that process than just redirect redirect redirect. Dogs work much like small children. Supervision and redirection are the best ways to manage behavior. ;) Encourage what you like and ignore or redirect attention from what you dont want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No she comes up to the mother and tries to stand tall and she gets really stiff then she kinda picks a fight, and after she jumps on the mother she then tries to nurse and Shylo just lets her, then once she sniffs around and and nibbles at them she finds there no milk then she will go lay down, but yeah Shylo will just let her do it!

I've also noticed that Shayla is losing weight through all this silliness and she seems way more nervous and shy, she shakes alot and ALWAYS acts sad and very unhappy..
So again I find myself wanting to baby her more and show her alot more attention.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also wanted to ask about Shayla's breed or whatever. I'm not sure what to say she is when people ask.

Her mother (Shylo) is a Chiweenie. Shylo's parents where full Chi and full Dachshund.

We Bred Shylo with a pure Chi male.

So Shayla is ???

We know the little Pug mix is 3/4 Chi and 1/4 Pug but she looks Pug with little Chi!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shayla

This is Shayla.. One with issues!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
You mix breed dogs deliberately? May I ask why? NOT trying to be mean or anything; sincerely asking the reason. I didn't realize it was intentional; I thought they were rescues or something...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Because we were told that a pure Chi was the best thing to breed her to since she was half Chi herself. Was told the babies would come more out Chi ect..

The mother was a rescue from Walmart parking lot, the woman said if someone didn't take them that her husband was going to put them down so we took 2 and gave my brother one. So no, Shylo was already a Chiweenie. We got her just at 6 weeks old.

There was def. not any other Chiweenie's around to breed her with and I wasn't going to use a chow, boxer or something crazy.

So 3 of Shayla's grandparents and her dad was full Chi and her mom is half Chi too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
No she comes up to the mother and tries to stand tall and she gets really stiff then she kinda picks a fight, and after she jumps on the mother she then tries to nurse and Shylo just lets her, then once she sniffs around and and nibbles at them she finds there no milk then she will go lay down, but yeah Shylo will just let her do it!

I've also noticed that Shayla is losing weight through all this silliness and she seems way more nervous and shy, she shakes alot and ALWAYS acts sad and very unhappy..
So again I find myself wanting to baby her more and show her alot more attention.
I would definitely stop babying her so much.. treat her like everything is normal and she will get the idea that things are normal. she may be sensing your tension and acting out more on that too. :) You could see if the girls will work things out if you back off more but that really depends on the situation so you will have to use your judgement there.

Dont know anything about breeds really but she is very pretty little girl. :) Just looks chi to me.. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts