Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Pleasure to meet you. :) Been a reader on this website for a while, I share my life with a wonderful pomeranian x chihuahua named Rudy. He is WONDERFUL. I feel so lucky to have him in my world!

I do have some questions and concerns. Rudy has always been muchos friendly and accepting of everyone and everything. I really lucked out with him. He's suddenly, at 7 months old, scared of things he wasn't previously afraid of. He usually loves pinecones and likes to carry them in his mouth on our walks. Twice now he has seen a pine cone in his path and just FROZEN in fear, trying to get away from it. Also, until yesterday I had never heard him bark. Yesterday, some kids walked by my apartment, and he flew into a barking frenzy. This morning he freaked out when he walked by his favourite toy and barked at it before seemingly realizing what it was.

I read that at 7 months, dogs go through a "fear imprint stage." It just seems so odd, my previously well balanced little man it flipping out over such strange things.

My second concern is this. We are having our balconies re-done in my complex starting next month. That means all the concrete balconies will be removed and glass ones will be erected. This also means there will be loud sounds with jackhammers and the like. I work full-time. When they get around to my balcony in July, should I put him in a kennel during the time they do my balcony? Will the noise scare him?

Thanks. Looking forward to your input. :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like it's just the age. He should grow out of it. And I think putting him in a kennel would be the best solution for him, even if he wasn't in a scared phase, having someone work on the balcony would be distressing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it sounds like it's just the age. He should grow out of it. And I think putting him in a kennel would be the best solution for him, even if he wasn't in a scared phase, having someone work on the balcony would be distressing.
Thanks so much for your input, Svdreamer. :) I really appreciate it. I'll be careful to watch and when the workers start getting close to my balcony, I'll book him into the kennel. Piece of mind immediately. :)

Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts