Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wake up ever morning to find little turds. I'm sick of it HELP! I do take her outside and sometimes she will go other times she will come back inside and then go pee or the other. I sometimes catch her going and run to her and say no and put her outback for ten minutes. I'm thinking she can't hold it all night so maybe I should litter train I don't know. Please help me I feel like I'm in a love -hate relationship. My carpet is so stained from her and all the rain we have been getting. THANKS :wave:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Do you tell her "No" very sternly when you catch her going where she isn't suppose to and qucikly take her where she's suppose to go? Do you praise lavishly and give treats when she does go where she's suppose to? You might start her on pee pads and move them toward the door and slowly outside. It's hard for some to grasp the concept of asking to go out. They more quickly get the idea of a certain thing they are suppose to go on.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You might want to consider crate training at least until the problem is under control. Comfortable confinement makes it easier for you to get them to go where you want because you have complete control over where the pup is at all times.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Callie is 6 1/2 months old and she isn't completely trained either. She does sleep through the night in a crate with no accidents. I have an exercise pen for her during the day. She is only in the exercise pen when I am not here or when I or someone else can't watch her. Someone has to have their eyes on her or she will go in the house. Even if she has just come in from outside we have to watch her. In fact, that is usually when she tries to go in the house. I think she is just about to get it now though. This is us watching her every move. :shock: :D If it looks like she is about to go potty... I'll say outside? and she'll run to the door now.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You'll also need to clean your carpet with a special odor neutalizer for pet stains. (PetSmart has this). As long as a dog can smell where it has gone in the house, it will continue to go there.

Tucker never did completely catch on to pad training, so I gave it up and trained him to go outside to potty. He caught on almost immediately, but he was 9 or 10 months old by then. I brought him outside every hour-or-so, just to make sure that he didn't have any accidents in the house. Once he caught on, he'd let me know when he needed to go out.

Potty Training is exhausting work. It takes a lot of patience and perseverance. I don't have any carpet in my house, so it was not so bad when Tucker had accidents. I was totally committed to giving Tucker a forever home, so the potty training issue didn't bother me so much. I knew it would click one day, so I just kept cleaning up and forging ahead. :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
it is exhausting and Kemo still doesnt know how to tell me, I just try and "read" him....sometimes he will just bug me with an anxious face and I put two and two together. Sometimes he just gives me that face for attention too so I have to be a mind reader :lol:
I take him out every two hours anyway so....

Bindi is trained potty pads perfectly....she gets herself up and goes but I want her outside trained, not sure how that will go :roll:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It took Zeus a full year before I trusted him. I did have one rule when he was being house-trained. If he didn't do anything outside, I confined him in the kitchen in case he did have an accident. We also did crate training and this worked like a champ for us. Zeus never had an accident in his crate since most dogs hate to lay in their mess. From what I remember, at 7 months, I took Zeus out every 3 hours. I don't know if it's just my experience, or others as well, but Chi's seem to be the hardest to housetrain. I've had multiple breeds in the past, and they all were trained at least by 6 months.

Good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've never housetrained a dog until Chili came along. (All dogs I had before were HUGE and not indoor dogs), so I did a lot of reading, and it all said that chis are the worst for being hard to housetrain.
We did the crate training thing and it worked like a charm. It does require a lot of patience, for sure. The thing is, Chili took to it very easily. When we moved, it was a bit of a setback. There was so much new stuff going on for him, I think more than anything he just forgot he needed to go out sometimes. He is at the point now, though that we don't lock him in his crate unless we are going somewhere that we can't take him. The only time he has accidents now is when we screw up and don't take him out when he needs to go.
The best advice I can give is to stay outside with the puppy when they are supposed to be doing their business. Chili won't do his unless someone is there watching. If we just let him out, he will go play and when he comes in, start looking for a place to potty. But if we stand out there with him, he will do his business pretty quickly and then be fine.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
There is a wonderful book "How to Housebreak your dog in 7 days". I ordered it off of Amazon.com. Every new Chi owner should buy this book!! It is great, and it only cost about 6bucks. It tells you exactly how to House break your dog and answers all your quetions. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all so much I love my little peanut and I am fully commited to her. I just need to keep on her and watch her every move. Thank you for your info. Michelle :wave:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Cooper is almost 8 months and still not totally trained to go out either. Sometimes he will wait by the door to go out, but if he can't make it out, he will usually go on the pee pads. But he still does leave little turds around the house and it is driving me crazy too!!! I know how you feel! :roll:

·
Registered
99 Posts
don't worry... annabelle is also 7 months and still not fully trained!!! she will sometimes stand by the door to go outside, but she usually won't bark or anything, although she did the other day! if i don't see her there in time then she goes in front of the door, but at least she is going TO the door! i read somewhere that you can tie a string of bells for them to ring when they need to go outside so you can hear it and know. i haven't tried it yet but i'm tempted to. she might have a pee accident in the house once or twice a week. a lot of times she goes to the bathroom during the night, but she is paper trained and usually it is on the paper thank goodness! i think that she is slowly getting the idea cuz she is improving. it just takes a lot of patience and remember that it IS possible, you just have to keep persevering!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts