Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im really hoping you could all offer us some advice.
We were orginally picking up our little boy next week when he would be 8 weeks old however the woman has called to let us know we can pick him up this friday when he will be 7 weeks.
Im quite nervous about this as ive been reading on here for them to be atleast 8weeks?
Quite concerned about how his social aspects will be effected by this.
Things to look out for?
He is weaned onto food now, so im hoping him eating wont be a problem.
All help is really appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Honestly he would be better off if she would keep him until 10 weeks atleast. He will learn a lot from his littermates etc and could still need to be with his mom.

If she is really pushing you to pick him up I would make sure I have the following on hand:

A really soft snuggle toy to resemble sleeping with his littermates and mom
Nutri Cal or Honey

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, yes it is a real shame shes pushing us to take him now. Im assuming the rest of the litter are being picked up then aswel. I think we will be doing a quick shop for him tomorrow to pick up some things, because all the other things weve ordered for him havent come yet as i was expecting more time to sort it out.
where do i get the Mom Nutri Cal from Huly? and honey do i put that into his food? how much sorry total newbie to chi's.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i am in the same boat and I am thinking about picking up some puppy milk to mix with her food. Not sure it's a good idea but I am hoping to get some input from people on here. She is fully weaned but I am not sure if the Fromms has the right carbs to keep her blood sugar up?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If it were me, I'd probably look for another breeder who keeps puppies to a minimum of 10 weeks. 7 weeks is just too young. Especially for a toy breed that is prone to hypoglycemia and also social issues.

Reactions: pupluv168

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I guess that I have mixed feelings about picking up young pups. We got Hope at 9 weeks and I think that was too young still.

A reputable breeder will keep the pups to 10-12 weeks so that tells a lot about the knowledge, effort, energy and commitment that the breeder has to the breed and each individual pup if they are eager to get them sold or given away.

I suppose that if a breeder is willing to surrender pups at such a young age I, personally, think that they may be better in my home where they would get better attention, medical care and nutrition than they might the last few weeks at the breeder's home.

I would get NutriCal:
PetSmart - NutriCal High-Calorie Supplement for Dogs and Cats customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
I would also supplement with a milk formula/replacement such as this one:
Animal Naturals K9 Puppy Gold at PETCO

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, im really not too sure what to do now. My partner is really set on getting him and to be honest so am i, i will be around pretty much all day to care for him and check if anything is wrong. If we dont have him we lose our money but also im sure he will be given to someone else who probably knows less than i do.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Thank you, im really not too sure what to do now. My partner is really set on getting him and to be honest so am i, i will be around pretty much all day to care for him and check if anything is wrong. If we dont have him we lose our money but also im sure he will be given to someone else who probably knows less than i do.
That is exactly what I meant in my post.

He may be better, even at such a young age, in your home than he might be if the "breeder" kept him longer. You can be certain he is not having sugar issues and often I find that we feed our babies better than some/many breeders. The fact that you will be home with him is also a definite plus.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I would definately get him if she will not hold him longer as it will be good to know he is in a good home. We will all try to help you and read as much as you can from here on who what when where how. Ask questions and I know someone will try to help.

Most important is a high grade food, soft snuggle blankies toys, and just incase Nutrical or honey. I keep them on hand even for my 1 & 2 year old chi

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I carnt find anywhere in the UK that sells k9 Puppy Gold, only from overseas and wouldnt be here for quite awhile. Is there anything just as good over here i could get instead?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.