Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

My 8 month old male chihuahua has always had an unpredictable tummy. infact when we first got him as a young pup he had blood in his stool and we quickily took him to the vets who had him wormed and gave him antibiotics.
He is a funny one- chicken sends him loops (too much protein!)
I tried him with Royal Cannin Chihuahua puppy kibble and then adult chihuahua specific kibble which he still has. for a little while i was mixing this with a medium mixer to make it tastier as we moved to france and i couldnt give him the meat he was used to. After a while we figured the mixers were also making him hyperactive! so we started just giving him the royal cannin kibble. His stools though still go from runny to solid to constipation on a daily basis and we dont know why? Do we need to take him to see a vet? Im now in France with a slight language barrier so this may be hard to explain or is this just a normal problem and maybe i have a dog with a sensitive tummy?
advice would be great
Laura

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
He should be on puppy ,not adult kibble at 8 months.Have you tried another brand other than R/C like ziwi peak or Accana ?they're very good foods.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
He's too young yet to be on adult food. If he's been to the vet recently and has checked out healthy, I'd zero in on his food first. it sounds like there's something in what you're feeding him that he's reacting to.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Alright guys -- PUPPY food is just a gimmick...its practically identical to adult foods. Feeding an adult food to an 8 month old is FINE. If anything, it is better than a puppy food, especially if it has DHA in it (otherwise you need to add a squirt of salmon oil or something to give that to the pup). Puppy foods didn't even exist until 10 or so years ago and it was really just a different 'shape' of the adult food. Ideally pups should be fed an ALL LIFE STAGES food throughout their lives, rather than some food made just as a marketing ploy.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I have started feeding grain free and I see such a big difference in my dog's stomachs. I have a few that have various allergies. With the grain free, no more rumbling or diarrhea or eye gunk, either. Reggie and Delilah had horrible eye gunk all the time, I was constantly having to clean their eyes, and Marmalade had staining. All gone. Billy and Gonzo had tummy rumbling, bloody diarrhea, gone. And even Smoke's gas problem has dissapeared. I knew Gonzo was allergic to corn and wheat and Billy also to barley, I guess the others were to other grains that were in the food I used before this. If you don't want to go raw, which also may help a lot, try to go grain free and see if that gets his bowels under control.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I would try ZiwiPeak... One of mine has a sensitive tummy as well and he can switch between the flavors without a problem.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I was gonna say...if you use a PREMIUM food...most (but not all) of them are all life stages. I'd try ZiwiPeak a try...or if you're up for it Stella & Chewy's is great as well. Both can typically be fed w/o any GI upset. I've fed a whole meal of both of those foods "cold turkey" to eight dogs w/o any upset tummies. Just goes to show what an easy to digest food they both are. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Alright guys -- PUPPY food is just a gimmick...its practically identical to adult foods. Feeding an adult food to an 8 month old is FINE. If anything, it is better than a puppy food, especially if it has DHA in it (otherwise you need to add a squirt of salmon oil or something to give that to the pup). Puppy foods didn't even exist until 10 or so years ago and it was really just a different 'shape' of the adult food. Ideally pups should be fed an ALL LIFE STAGES food throughout their lives, rather than some food made just as a marketing ploy.
I was buying puppy food over 20 years ago, Beta puppy, I do agree it's a gimmick though now with all the different breed specific ones out there but if the smaller sized pieces make it easier for a puppy to eat then it's a good gimmick!

Yes petplanet sells it
Yes I found it! Thankyou.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My girls were able to tear through ZP and other all stages food with no problem when young puppies. Hope was the smallest when we brought her home (1.5 lbs.) and she had no issue with any food we tried (and with her chronic colitis, we tried a BUNCH!).

Fromm's Surf and Turf is an all stages food we tried and was a very small kibble. Smaller even than others we tried such as Orijen puppy.

My girls have not been on "puppy" labeled food since 5 months or so.

eta: the food issue that confuses me most is "breed specific" foods. What??? Now THAT is a marketing ploy for certain! (Did I mention that I am in Marketing and Advertising for a big 'ole corporation? haha!!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts