Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:
We bought home our 8 week old chi puppy today, what a gorgeous little baby he is :) His parents had lovely natures and were obviously loved, the pups were really well looked after too!
We have 4 other small breed dogs, but he is our first chi.
Our lhasa was following him around licking him, Pepe growled...
He was asleep on me, i moved him a bit, he growled...
Is this normal? Like i said i'm new to this breed, but have done a lot of research into them.
Thanks inadvance for any replies :daisy:

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
He is probably stressed out right now, that will stop soon. Ike only growls at a special toy that he really likes, but it squeaks and when it does he growls..

·
Registered
275 Posts
My Benny was a growler when he was younger. Right after we got his puppy shots he started growling and it lasted about 2 months. He hardly ever growls any more. I think he was in pain from the shot. They did a bad job plus he had a reaction. We just kept telling him "no growl" and either putting him down and "shunning" him or turning him on his back to show him who was boss, depending on how bad it was. He is now the sweetest, most loving pup you could ever want so don't give up hope! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
You have to keep after them! Keep showing him that you are the boss.

Angel was like that, and still is. The way I get around it is, when he is in my lap, I tell him "off" and he gets down. I can then pick up if up if I need to!

It's best to start training early!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
This may be a reaction to a scared little baby. Put yourself in his paws---you were just fine at your home, you are suddenly removed to another. There are other dogs that want to meet you, and you'd just as soon wait! He is telling you he is very insecure. Just ignore the growling, and see what happens in the next week. Then you can figure out what is happening. Lots of dogs growl when they are moved in sleep. Just remember, as my brother said to me once "dogs don't speak english"!! That's their way of communicating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts