Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my pup is around about 9 months old now and whenever I take him anywhere and he see's another dog he has this really loud and annoying bark and it's really hard to make him be quiet until the other dog(s) is out of sight.

His bark is not aggressive or playful, it is sort of a nervous and defensive bark. Sometimes if the dog gets too close to him he can make a really high pitched squealing sound. He obviously feels very uncomfortable around other dogs.

He has been well socialized from a young age, he loves most people and see's his chihuahua brother regularly and also shares his house with a German Shepard x, and they get along fabulously.

I'm 100% certain that he has not had any bad experiences in life that would make him this afraid of other dogs, I got him from an incredible breeder when he was 10 weeks old.

I really don't mind him barking at home or even little bits out on his walks, I just need to keep him under control... When he barks at other dogs I usually make a warning noise at him, if that doesn't stop him I usually have to pick him up which doesn't do the trick and sometimes he can even try to wriggle out my arms if he's really afraid. I even have to occasionally resort to gently putting my hand around his mouth to silence him when he gets really out of control in public.. I mean it can be very embarrassing (I literally only do that for a second to try make him understand not to do it)

Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'd appreciate any advise that you can give me.

And if you need additional info, just ask :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
My chi does this too but I think it's cuz she broke her leg and hasn't been able to do anything so she's got more unsocial, so ill just have to take her to the dog park after she's finished healing. It's very embarrassing as my chi goes off her head lol I just want her to be calm.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Ike is like that also, but so is my pug. I have tried everything to stop it but so far nothing has worked.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm going to try the thunder shirt for dogs it helps anxiety, obsessive behaviour, barking, over excited dogs ect the list goes on, and iv watched a lot of YouTube vids and it's amazing how different they are and calm when they have the thunder shirt on. My chi has really bad anxiety and I can't leave her without her freakin out, I need it to help with her anxiety and barking. Watch these vids there amazing!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I really do sympathise with you as my Bella does exactly the same, she is totally embarrassing whilst out on our walks. I have tried everything to stop this behaviour all to no avail. We have been to dog classes where she was in a room full of other dogs which I hoped would de-sensitise her a bit but that didn't work either. I spend the whole of our walks avoiding other dogs, I've even picked her up and covered her eyes. If you do find a way to stop the barking please let me in on it.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I really suggest the thunder shirt as if u watch the videos is amazing and helps with barking... I myself will be getting one.

Just an fyi; it really depends on the dog. Not all dogs are going to feel better just because they're wrapped snuggly. It's really great it's helpful for some, but I know of 4 dogs off hand in realy life that have tried the thunder shirt and it didn't help them at all. The thunder shirt isn't an instant cure, but sometimes it's worth trying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts