Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Honey is nearly 10 months old.

She was penned as a baby, so had access to pee pads throughout the night. Progressed to pee pads in the house, and she slept with me at night. All was well, she slept through the night from about 4 months to 9 months.

Right, about 4 weeks ago, i started trying to get her to stop using pee pads - some success, she was really good, going outside everytime i let her etc. I went on holiday for a week, and she slept at my moms house, in her crate all night, every night, no problems.

I've been back 2 weeks, and thought i would carry on crating her at night as she had got on fine. Well! She has suddenly started to not sleep through the night, constantly wants a wee or a poo, does not let up if i leave her etc.

What to do, i know she can sleep through the night, nothing has changed food or drink wise, so am just thinking she is waking up for attention - a. because i left her when i went on holiday and b. because shes thinking, hey why am i in this crate when i normally sleep in bed with you??

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Aww Rachel sorry to hear about this. I agree she's probably thinking it's strange that she cannot sleep in bed with you. You are her person; dogs bond very closely with their family and true to canine nature, want to be a part of their group.

That said, there are many reasons where it's important a dog learn to self-sooth and cope with being alone for parts of a time; if she's already crate trained that's good. But I'd say she just simply misses you lol.

What I would try is to remove the water a few hours before bedtime. Take her on the latest possible potty break you can. She should be able to sleep through the night. If she really just misses you, have some good cuddle time until she dozes off, then put her in the crate. =D Good luck!

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you really don't want her in your bed anymore I feel you are going to have to "tough it out" for a bit until she realizes that's the new rule. My bloodhound threw hissy fits about it but now she doesn't even ask to get on the bed. Just don't waffle and give in because that's confusing for them, my two cents. :)
I agree about removing the water, I still do this with my adult dogs just an hour before bedtime. They also get one more potty break RIGHT before I turn off the lights for good.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aww Rachel sorry to hear about this. I agree she's probably thinking it's strange that she cannot sleep in bed with you. You are her person; dogs bond very closely with their family and true to canine nature, want to be a part of their group.

That said, there are many reasons where it's important a dog learn to self-sooth and cope with being alone for parts of a time; if she's already crate trained that's good. But I'd say she just simply misses you lol.

What I would try is to remove the water a few hours before bedtime. Take her on the latest possible potty break you can. She should be able to sleep through the night. If she really just misses you, have some good cuddle time until she dozes off, then put her in the crate. =D Good luck!
Thanks Kat, i've never had a problem with her sleeping in bed with me, but lately she has become such a wriggle-bum! She's constantly moving about, jumping on and off the bed, licking my face etc etc. I'm such a light sleeper anyway, am worn out! I also wanted her to stop using the pee pads in the house at night.
Yes, shes already crate trained, and will go in voluntarily. I will take the water up, she does go out literally just before bed (although i have to stand by her and make sure she goes!). We have a cuddle before bed and a big cuddle in the morning, but will carry on with it, as i need my beauty sleep lol!x

If you really don't want her in your bed anymore I feel you are going to have to "tough it out" for a bit until she realizes that's the new rule. My bloodhound threw hissy fits about it but now she doesn't even ask to get on the bed. Just don't waffle and give in because that's confusing for them, my two cents. :)
I agree about removing the water, I still do this with my adult dogs just an hour before bedtime. They also get one more potty break RIGHT before I turn off the lights for good.
Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Thanks for the reply, i will tough it out, she will get used to it eventually hey. :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I'd watch her closely, she may be trying to tell you something's wrong. When they change behaviors, sometimes it could be feeling sick, not enough exercise, etc. It may be nothing at all. But you could try more playtime before bed to help her sleep better through the night. Remember to talk to her & tell her it's time to go to sleep.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I've been through that before and ended up with three dogs in our bed. One the size of a golden (she was a mix breed), a chi poodle mix, and a cockapoo! It made for a very crowded bed and not good sleeping! So when we got Angel I told hubby from the start - not in our bed!! Our golden ( true golden now) sleeps in her own bed. They are both in our room, but Angel is in a crate and she is in her bed. Of course, we did end up with the cat on the bed - but she sleeps at the bottom in a corner! lol

I'm kind of strict when it comes to following the rules. No lap unless invited, he must stay in his safe spot while I am cooking, he must stay put until Susie finishes her meal, cannot go thru a door before me, goes out to do his business on a leash. It's harder for us than for them. Now things are beginning to become natural for him. We still have a way to go, but if you do tought it out, it will be worth it in the long run.

I'm not saying that you have to be strict, but set out your own set of rules and stick with them. We are shaping their behavior, hopefully, they will be with us for quite a while! And we don't want to do battle with them forever! lol

My first chi was great, but he followed me everywhere! I couldnt even use the bathroom without him being outside the door and sticking his feet under! But then, I would come out and all three dogs would be waiting for me!!

I think things will work out sooner than you realize. Then you'll reflect on how you had to "tough it out!"

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply Cindy, was nice to read. Ha it sounds like you have a very busy bedroom :)
I think im quite strict with Hon, i'm having to be at the moment, training NILIF etc.
I will definately tough it out, and report back tomorrow, hopefully to say that she slept through!
I have tried to make her crate a little more homely, given her my t-shirt like i did when she was a pup, shes got blankets as she loves to burrow, her teddy bears to snuggle, ive even made a cover for it out of an old blanket today, and moved the crate next to my bed, instead of the end of the room. We will succeed :) x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts