Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My Bella (long-haired chi, 9 yrs old) STILL has issues with going potty. Our journey -
She will sneak into bedrooms and pee and poop on carpets. We cleaned, cleaned, cleaned bedroom carpets and then eventually replaced them. No change. She still potties on them. We bought a gate to block off the bedrooms. Now she pees and poops on the kitchen linoleum floor. I spray Clorox Bleach cleaner on those spots and wipe up with damp paper towels or my swiffer mop. No change of course, still finding pee spots. I try to keep Bella with me or within my eye sight (on her little bed) at all times. I put her outside. (Often times she will go like right after I let her back inside, despite being outside for over an hour or more). I am considering doggy diapers.

Any tips for teaching an older dog to NOT potty indoors? I honestly don't know what else to do. I love my baby girl so much, but she's driving the family crazy!

Rushell

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

My Bella (long-haired chi, 9 yrs old) STILL has issues with going potty. Our journey -
She will sneak into bedrooms and pee and poop on carpets. We cleaned, cleaned, cleaned bedroom carpets and then eventually replaced them. No change. She still potties on them. We bought a gate to block off the bedrooms. Now she pees and poops on the kitchen linoleum floor. I spray Clorox Bleach cleaner on those spots and wipe up with damp paper towels or my swiffer mop. No change of course, still finding pee spots. I try to keep Bella with me or within my eye sight (on her little bed) at all times. I put her outside. (Often times she will go like right after I let her back inside, despite being outside for over an hour or more). I am considering doggy diapers.

Any tips for teaching an older dog to NOT potty indoors? I honestly don't know what else to do. I love my baby girl so much, but she's driving the family crazy!

Rushell
Puppy pads, their a life saver for me. It took my babies yrs to catch on ( they're12), but they finally started using them. I put them in the spot they like to potty at on the carpet then I slowly moved it in the laundry room. Now they know where to find it. Occasionally theres a accident, but not to often. Hope that helps, good luck.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hello,

Rushell
When you let her out to potty, do you stay outside with her? What got my chi to prefer to potty outside was going out with him and making sure I praise him after he goes - a simple (but excited) "good potty" or "good poopies," or insert your preferred terms, can do wonders. But you have to be there to see it as it's happening. You can also rewind as far as only taking her out on a leash, and no play time til after she goes potty. Then she gets praise/treats and the chance to be off leash.
Never scold or punish her for going in the house, or she will just try to hide it. You can try acting sad or disappointed while you're cleaning the mess, that can help some dogs make the distinction that going in the house is not your preference.
No matter what you decide, you have to be consistent, and eagle-eyed with your attention to her. I rescued my chi when he was about 3 yrs old, and he came from a hoarding situation, so he was used to going wherever and eating it. I took about 2 years for him to consistently ask to go outside when he had to potty, but we have a routine now, he goes out pretty much at the same times every day, before and after meals, and he lets me know if he needs to go out other than that. If I'm not paying enough attention he will still start sniffing around the floor of the front room (his preferred spot), but that happens so rarely now that I really notice when it happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you let her out to potty, do you stay outside with her? What got my chi to prefer to potty outside was going out with him and making sure I praise him after he goes - a simple (but excited) "good potty" or "good poopies," or insert your preferred terms, can do wonders. But you have to be there to see it as it's happening. You can also rewind as far as only taking her out on a leash, and no play time til after she goes potty. Then she gets praise/treats and the chance to be off leash.
Never scold or punish her for going in the house, or she will just try to hide it. You can try acting sad or disappointed while you're cleaning the mess, that can help some dogs make the distinction that going in the house is not your preference.
No matter what you decide, you have to be consistent, and eagle-eyed with your attention to her. I rescued my chi when he was about 3 yrs old, and he came from a hoarding situation, so he was used to going wherever and eating it. I took about 2 years for him to consistently ask to go outside when he had to potty, but we have a routine now, he goes out pretty much at the same times every day, before and after meals, and he lets me know if he needs to go out other than that. If I'm not paying enough attention he will still start sniffing around the floor of the front room (his preferred spot), but that happens so rarely now that I really notice when it happens.
No I haven't been going outside with her. That might be something to try.

I don't think she would go potty on a leash...

Her current favorite spots to pee is a spot between the fridge and our table in our kitchen/dining area and also in the walk-in pantry/laundry room. Well we keep the pantry/laundry door closed now so that prevents her going in there, but I still find pee spots near the table/fridge. I KNOW I need to be more consistent and watch her more closely. (She goes outside, then when she's inside she's either in my lap or in her cage/crate.) I'll definitely do better with that - gotta get my whole family on board though for when I'm not home. :) (But that's not a problem this time of year, I'm usually here)
I do wonder, since she has been peeing in the same spot on the linoleum/vinyl floor in the kitchen, is there something I can spray on there to deter her? Or am I cleaning it right? I will usually use a paper towel to wipe up the wetness, then spray it with clorox/bleach cleaner then wipe again with a damp paper towel, or sometimes after spraying with Clorox I'll use the swiffer mop to clean it up. I wonder now if that's enough...maybe the scent is still there? I wouldn't think it would linger on a hard floor as much as on the carpets but who knows. All the carpeted areas are blocked off now, thank goodness :)

Thanks!

Rushell

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

Rushell
I also have a 1 year 6 mth old, 4lb 2oz, Long-Haired Chihuahua, named Bambi. She's a sweetie. I bought Bambi a little POD, similar to a Canvas Play Pen,. It's round with 8 sides, Amazon sells all different kinds and colors.
I buy pee pee pads from Walmart, not that expensive at all. I put the pee pee pad in her pod, she goes in and tinkles and potties in there right on the pad. Her potty is so small, I just pick up with toilette paper, and she watches me flush it down the toilette. I praise and clap my hands each time she tinkles or potties in the POD. Itake her fir 2 walks a day, and if she needs to tinkle or potty at that time, she does it out there on our walks. I have never had a problem with her. It helps to have the POD, In case I'm asleep, she just goes in there all on her own. She usually tinkles 3 or 4 spots on the pad, then I praise her, throw away that pad and put in a new one for her. No problem what's so ever. But I always praise her whenever she goes inside the pod. Hope this helps you. Torchy
I bring the small pod with me when I visit at my Son's home or anywhere I go. It's light, portable and she knows what it's for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a 1 year 6 mth old, 4lb 2oz, Long-Haired Chihuahua, named Bambi. She's a sweetie. I bought Bambi a little POD, similar to a Canvas Play Pen,. It's round with 8 sides, Amazon sells all different kinds and colors.
I buy pee pee pads from Walmart, not that expensive at all. I put the pee pee pad in her pod, she goes in and tinkles and potties in there right on the pad. Her potty is so small, I just pick up with toilette paper, and she watches me flush it down the toilette. I praise and clap my hands each time she tinkles or potties in the POD. Itake her fir 2 walks a day, and if she needs to tinkle or potty at that time, she does it out there on our walks. I have never had a problem with her. It helps to have the POD, In case I'm asleep, she just goes in there all on her own. She usually tinkles 3 or 4 spots on the pad, then I praise her, throw away that pad and put in a new one for her. No problem what's so ever. But I always praise her whenever she goes inside the pod. Hope this helps you. Torchy
I bring the small pod with me when I visit at my Son's home or anywhere I go. It's light, portable and she knows what it's for.
Where do u find this on Amazon?
I have a Bambi too

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Bambi too
I have a Bambi too
Good Evening Leni,
Go to Amazon and type in: Portable Pet Playpen
There you will see several different ones. I purchased this one for my Bambi: $33.97
Hepeeng Portable, Foldable Pet/Puppy play Pen
That is the one I chose. I buy from Walmart:
Pet All Star Training Pads 75 Pads 26"x30"
She can tinkle 3 or 4x on the pad, then on change it. She makes tiny #2's once a day in the a.m. Her's are small & firm. I pick it up with toilette paper, she watches as I flush it down the toilette, then I clap my hands together, and say Yaaay, Bambi, what a good dog!!
Right from the very beginning, when I got her at 4 most, I would pick her up and put in the pen and train her to tinkle in it. You may have to have patience with your fur baby. Just be gentle, give your little one time. Even give it a treat a treat afterwards.
This pen has helped me immensely. Especially when I lived in Illinois last year during the snow season. I didn't have to take Bambibout in that nasty, cold weather. She trained so quickly and did her potty in the pen. Because it was small, Foldable and Portable, I took it with me to visit friends and family showed her where it was, and she used it there too. Here in Fla she still uses it, but she also goes tinkle outside when I walk her. So, both ways! I think it's great for my baby.
Hope it works for you. Just don't give up. Even if she tinkles on a pad outside of the pen, put that pad she tinkled on in the pen, and show your baby so it will know to go potty on the pad, in the pen. Hope it works out for you. These little, long-haired Chihuahua's are the sweetest, little ones, so protective if us and they love unconditionally. I love mine so much! Torchy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank u so much! And my RATCHI is just as sweet and wonderful as your long hair😂😂😂😂lol
I love my baby to pieces
1st dog I’ve ever had at 63 years old
Never knew love like this before
But I fear mine is too attached to me
A spoiled rotten brat
If she’s mad at me she raises her head up
Looks away and won’t pay attention to me 😂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank u so much! And my RATCHI is just as sweet and wonderful as your long hair😂😂😂😂lol
I love my baby to pieces
1st dog I’ve ever had at 63 years old
Never knew love like this before
But I fear mine is too attached to me
A spoiled rotten brat
If she’s mad at me she raises her head up
Looks away and won’t pay attention to me 😂
You are so welcome, Leni. Mine is the same way too. I tell everyone that the umbilical cord is still attached to my body!
But she is so adorable, just a tiny 4 lb 2 oz little girl. How could person not love that. Especially, when she looks into my eyes with those big, black eyes with tiny, little eyelashes.
God made these little ones so cute. And by the way, I am 75 yrs old. My husband died recently and this little Chihuahua that God blessed me with, has filled that big hole in heart. I thank God for giving her everyday. So nice to have met you, Leni. Torchy

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are so welcome, Leni. Mine is the same way too. I tell everyone that the umbilical cord is still attached to my body!
But she is so adorable, just a tiny 4 lb 2 oz little girl. How could person not love that. Especially, when she looks into my eyes with those big, black eyes with tiny, little eyelashes.
God made these little ones so cute. And by the way, I am 75 yrs old. My husband died recently and this little Chihuahua that God blessed me with, has filled that big hole in heart. I thank God for giving her everyday. So nice to have met you, Leni. Torchy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts