Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

For some time now I have been looking for my first Chi and I really want a long haired black or black/tan. I have seen Chi's of this colour available but they have always been boys. I have always had bitches and was looking for a bitch but I'm now considering a boy.

What I'd like to know is your opinions on girls versas boys ie: Are boys as affectionate as girls? Are they harder to housetrain (I would have him neutered as early as possible)? I couldn't cope with a dog cocking his leg in the house. In other words do you think I'd should continue looking for a bitch or would I be just as happy with a boy bearing in mind I've never had a boy before.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.
Sue

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have 2 boys and one bitch, although only 1 is a Chi and its a boy.

He is really affectionate, he just loves his cuddles. We wanted a bitch and then right at the last minute we changed our mind as we have a very dominant Border Collie bitch so though another bitch may be a bad idea.

Elmo has only ever cocked his leg in the house once he's still entire, just house train as you normally would and it shouldnt be a problem. He was pretty hard to house train but just stick with it and everything should work out ok in the end.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I'm a first time female dog owner,always had males the only difference i can tell is,they're not sex mad,don't sniff so much,don't wee as much at every tree,just as loving as my male.Cost more than neutering a male,she was easier to train.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I think it depends on the actual dog rather than the sex to be honest. It Daisy's litter there were 3 girls and 1 boy.. The girls were all very bold and nosey the boy froze and shook. Training wise i don't think the gender matters (only with marking etc!!!) as long as you're on top of it i don't think it would make a difference whether it was a girl or a boy!!

Just go for the perfect dog for you.. don't worry about whats in between his/her legs!!!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I have always had female dogs. This time we got a boy. OH my gosh.... the difference between him and my former dogs is HUGE! He is so loving, and so playful. He always wants to be with us. He is such great entertainment, he has such a funny sense of humor and is always making us laugh. Yet he is so affectionate and cuddly. If you are sitting down, he is in your lap. Just the SWEETEST dog we have ever had.

Our girls were lovely, but they were independent. They did their own thing. Were content to be on the couch or in the same room, not needing to be on our laps all the time. They also were moody at times and could be snippy if they didn't get their way. Just subtle differences really.

Brody has NEVER cocked his leg. He squats to pee. Just be sure and get a male dog neutered before that happens and he'll likely also squat. He doesn't do any of the typical male behaviors (licking himself, etc.)

I am SO GLAD we decided on a boy and have never ever regretted it. Just judge the puppy on its personality and traits that you like and don't rule out boys. Boys are WONDERFUL!

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
my male is much more affectionate and cuddly than my female who is more independant she loves cuddles but not as much as Bentley he does have a very outgoing personality and likes attention from everyone lol, he is intact and it was harder to toilet train him but if your going to have him neutered prob wont be so much of an issue, I wasnt sure about getting a boy at first but im glad i did :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Our chi was a male, and he was super loving, wanted cuddles ALL the time :) We never really had an issue of him lifting his leg in the house to mark, now outside was a different story. He would mark so much that eventually it was just a drip or nothing at all coming out.

I have to agree with Daisydoo as well that it will really depend on the individual chi. But I would say don't be afraid of a little man, they are great! :)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I had two boys and then got a girl. I don't find much difference in personality really. I found Lola my girl easier to train but then again I was more experienced as I got my males at 17 and now I'm 31 so I had learned a lot. I would only ever consider boys before but now I'd have either sex.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your opinions. I will carry on with my search but I won't rule out a boy in future thanks to your advice.

·
Registered
644 Posts
i have two boys.
both have been neutered at different ages.
Diefie was "done" before he learned to cock his leg, so squats to pee and doesn't mark in the garden or when we go out for walks.
Stottie was neutered at an older age (uncertain as we rescued him as a two year old) and will cock and mark on walks.
neither mark in the house but both know they have a safe place to pee if they need to. (they have a patch of newspaper in the kitchen for at night or when i've had to leave them at home.)
both are affectionate dogs but Stottie would happily spend all his time being cuddled and fussed.
i'd like a little girl in the future.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I have a male and a female. Tango, my male, was neutered before he'd started to mark, so he always squats to pee. Outside however it's a different story. When we go to PetsMart, he'll sniff and lift his leg to pee on every blade of grass between the car and the store! He just doesn't do it at home. He's extremely affectionate and is very bonded to me. Wants to be where I am, on my lap if possible, or if not as close as he can get.

Jazz is my female and she's probably 85% housetrained. She's been a bit more difficult to potty train than Tango was, but she's also a bit more hyper than he was at that age, so I dunno. She's every bit as affectionate as Tango, but very different personality wise. Less attention span, more hyper.

I'd have a hard time deciding between a male and a female if I got another chi because mine each have very endearing qualities. I tend to agree with the other posters, pick the dog that most resonates with you, that you feel a connection with, and have that be your primary criteria rather than its sex.

As you've seen through these responses, the posters have had such an varied array of experience with either sex that I it almost has to be more personality based than gender based.

Good luck with your search and post lots of photos when you get your chihuahua!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Rocky sounds just like Brody, he is SUCH a sweet and loving boy, if you sitting, he is on you lap. Rocky is my first pet so I cannot judge between female/males. He is super sweet to everyone and everyone loves him.

He varies between just squating to pee and cocking his leg, depends how lazy he feels! He was neutered at 1 yr and he was a major humper before the op but he never does it anymore and he doesn't sniff and pee on everything when we out walks anymore.

I had originally wanted a female called Roxy but ended up with a male called Rocky lol, sometimes thats what happens. I am more than happy with my wee boy!

·
Registered
226 Posts
My boy Bailey is 20 weeks now and so so affectionate, always kissing and wanting hugs. I haven't had him done yet, my vet said they would do him from 6 months so he will be done soon. At the moment he squats when he pees of slightly lifts one leg off the ground but he's a very good boy.

Good luck in whatever you decide to go for.

Joy xx

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have better luck with boys. I have 4 breeds, 5 dogs in all 2 of which are Chi's and they are all affectionate, loving, laid back, mommas boys :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all again for your helpful advice, I knew I'd get some sensible and honest opinions on here. I think I'm now convinced that really gender isn't that important which will help my search a lot, I've rejected some lovely black/tan puppies because they were boys. There seems to be far less dark coloured Chi's for sale but armed with my new knowledge I now won't reject a puppy because it's a boy.
Thank you all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts