Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I do to help me with my allergies to dogs. I'm getting a chihuahua and I know they aren't really good for allergie sufferers and that matlese and poodles are better, but I really want a chihuahua. :roll: I'm going to be getting a HEPA air filter and I know theres special shampoos I can use on my dog. But is there any other products or other things I can do that will help?

And I was also wondering If long haired chihuahuas shed alot? Does anybody with a long haired chihuahua have chihuahua hair all over everything? like your clothes, in your room, on furniture ..everywhere? :shock:

Does anybody here have a chihuahua and allergies?

·
Registered
61 Posts
i had an annoying skin reaction when i got my first chi. he's a short hair and does shed. their little hairs are kinda' sticky and pointy (it's the best description i can think of) and would give me little hives all on my arms. i just kept taking over-the-counter allergy meds and putting hydrocortisone cream on the hives and eventually they stopped forming-i guess my body got used to whatever was making me itch. i don't know if long hairs shed as much as short hairs. good luck. :D

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wink: Mine is a long hair but we cut his hair most of the time..he gets peanut butter and other sticky stuff all over...He has periods where he sheds a lot..I sit on the floor and get up with a hairy butt :D but that's seasonal..they shed about twice a year (sometimes every change of season) the daily shedding is minimal..I still see hairs here and there but is nothing like long hair cats :wink: Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Re: help with my allergies.

krissy said:
What can I do to help me with my allergies to dogs. I'm getting a chihuahua and I know they aren't really good for allergie sufferers and that matlese and poodles are better, but I really want a chihuahua. :roll: I'm going to be getting a HEPA air filter and I know theres special shampoos I can use on my dog. But is there any other products or other things I can do that will help?

And I was also wondering If long haired chihuahuas shed alot? Does anybody with a long haired chihuahua have chihuahua hair all over everything? like your clothes, in your room, on furniture ..everywhere? :shock:

Does anybody here have a chihuahua and allergies?

This is not true, the smooth coated Chihuahuas is the best breed to have for allergies, because the have little to no dander. The long coated variety has more dander so steer away from the long coats if you do get a Chihuahua. :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm.. well, I was really hoping to get a long haired one :( If I bathe him every 2 weeks will that help a bit? Because i thought I read somewhere something about bathing your chihuahua once a month should do the trick, but if i give mine a bath every 2 weeks wont that help? He will be much cleaner and better for my allergies?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
krissy said:
hmm.. well, I was really hoping to get a long haired one :( If I bathe him every 2 weeks will that help a bit? Because i thought I read somewhere something about bathing your chihuahua once a month should do the trick, but if i give mine a bath every 2 weeks wont that help? He will be much cleaner and better for my allergies?
You do NOT really want to do that as the oils in their coat is important to keep the skin from drying out! Why dont you see what happens. My husband had a problem at first then it went away. You body will build a resistance to it....also just brush real good everyday that should help too. :wave:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
allergic

[quote="Kemo's mamma] Why dont you see what happens. My husband had a problem at first then it went away. You body will build a resistance to it....also just brish real good everyday that should help too. :wave[/color]:[/quote]

my bf also has allergic reactions to dogs.....but we went ahead and after a few sneezy days :wink: everything was ok .......

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I have read that long coats shed less than short coats. I know it seems strange. I read it in 'Chihuahuas for Dummies'. Hope that helps! :wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts