Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway, we adopted Sissy last December. She is trained to go potty on the wee wee pad. We do try to take her at out at least 1-2 times a day.

The dilemma...

In September I will be going on a much needed vacation, but my aunt is hesitating taking Sissy in while we are on vacation due to the pad problem since she is used to having dogs go "out." Also there's isn't really a place she pee's there, mostly because my aunt has a yorkie. eek!!

What should I do if she won't take her? Sissy isn't a dog that can just go to a kennel because she is very timid and scared of complete strangers. At least she has become accustomed with my aunt (alittle).

:confused:
What should i do?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I always try to take my chi with me. You can try seeing if your vet would take her as a last resort & only if you trust your vet. I, myself, am turning down renting a houseboat with my brother due to the fact no dogs are allowed. I don't care what some of my family & some people think, but Midgie is like one of my kids & if she can't go, or I can't leave her with someone I trust, I just won't go. I hope you can sort this out. Maybe you could look for reputable doggy sitters in the yellow pages. Don't you have any family close to you that would watch her? How long would she have to be watched?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She would have be watched for a whole week.
My aunt had said ask her in two weeks from a few weeks ago because of a funeral and her daughter getting married. But i don't know for a fact if she will take her or not. :(

i would look in the paper but it would take Sissy a long time to get used to the sitter. We can not take her with us because we have a few "adventures" planned and hotels don't want dogs. Also we don't want to pay $120.00 for a flight for her either to Las Vegas.

I just don't know what to do if my aunt says no. :(

·
Registered
809 Posts
What about the vet idea or a boarding kennel that specializes in small dogs? I used to work at a kennel that had indoor rooms for small dogs that were kept quiet and the dogs could have pads in them and never had to go outside near the louder dogs. You could look for something like that.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you not have a friend who can take her? x
I don't really have any friends. I grew up with only 1 friend and we lost contact in 2005. :(. I have had a bad life and still continue to do. :(

What about the vet idea or a boarding kennel that specializes in small dogs? I used to work at a kennel that had indoor rooms for small dogs that were kept quiet and the dogs could have pads in them and never had to go outside near the louder dogs. You could look for something like that.
That's the thing, Sissy is very noisy and will bark at strangers. So the kennel / vet will be out of the question because she'll bark non stop 24/7. She won't pee in her crate either. She won't let any stranger come by her to put on her leash.

It took us 3-4 shelter visits to see if she would get to know us..... hmm. I just don't know. She still is very timid around strangers and its hard with her. :(. Even though she has her qwerks I still love her. she's my baby.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would recommend a pet-sitter. There are some who will take dogs into their homes, or who will stay in your home with your Chi. As a pet-sitter, I know how difficult it can be for owners to trust a stranger to come to your home and care for your baby when you aren't there to supervise. Any reputable sitter can provide you with references and will do a free consultation so you can meet them and they can meet your baby so you can see how the sitter interacts with her. I pride myself on my ability to gain the trust of my clients' very timid dogs. There may be someone in your area who your Chi will feel comfortable enough to trust after a while. You can even ask them to come by to get to know her before your trip. Hope this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts