Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok wanna talk about freaking out...

Every morning....around 9:30 until 11 ish I stay outside with Gizmo in my covered/screened in Patio...we have a very big yard...but no trees yet so it gets very hot...

I usually leave the screen door open a smidge so Giz can go in and out as he pleases, cuz it is DISGUSTINGLY HOT HERE...

I see a shadow over Gizmo...so I jump up and go outside but saw nothing...I felt bugged out so I took the baby inside the porch again...when I sat back down and looked at the fence there was a Falcon looking in my direction...about 3 feet away!!!!

Now I don't know if he was scoping out Gizmo or something else...but I got so bugged out he hasn't been out alone all day...only leashed and even then I look like a nut scanning the yard and the sky... :shock:

Gizmo would have been lunch for that thing!! :angryfire:

·
Registered
966 Posts
You know I live in Florida also and you have to be careful of those birds!!!

My husband and son practice baseball a lot on the local fields here and the dogs love to chase the balls. Cookie can actually pick them up and return them. Anyway, we were out there one day and I noticed this Osprey flying over us as though he was hunting for something and then it occured to me that Lola is about the exact size that a field rat would be. It really freaks you out to think that they could just scoop down and pick them up!!! :shock:

Needless to say the dogs haven't been back there since that time!! Cookie really misses the exercise. He would run and run then crash in the car on the way home.

I know how you felt, really freaked!!!! :roll:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
we ahve huge crows here and occasionaly a hawk swings by. i don't let chiwi out off leash because i noticed them looking at her all the time. but she don't like being outside anyways i guess it works out...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tinker said:
Yep, we have them here too and I lost a half grown kitten to one while I was outside with it. Marcus does not go in my yard off his leash. I don't mind a little paranoia.
OMG!! :shock:

See...i can't handle something like that..I would go nuts.....from now on he is leashed only!!! :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
634 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock: WOW. That is soooo scary. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm glad you were paying close attention. I never would have thought about some bird swooping down and grabbing a small dog. Maybe because I never see those type birds around here. We see Vultures occassionally flying overhead...or by the road if something is dead. But I can't imagine having to think about some huge bird preying on my puppy. I'm freaked just thinking about it. :evil:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I totally understand how you feel.....a hawk was after Bella a few weeks ago...my heart was in my mouth !

In a little hamlet near our place, a hawk picked up a chi............it started to get airborne but the chi was a bit too heavy so the hawk dropped it...the poor litle chi died from it's injuries........he was horribly mangled by the claws plus the internal bleeding from the fall.....just a horrible scene!

·
Registered
568 Posts
How scary. I am always on the look out when I take Bella out. You can never be to careful. Thank goodness your Gizmo is safe.

Leslie

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I'm glad you got to Gizmo before the bird did.

We have lots of wild bids here. I feel a little safe because i never let Gadget out without me being there.. I do let him run in his yard. but it is right out my dooor and under the awning. He is always leashed when we are out if he is out of his yard.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Oh my, make sure you watch little Giz! Where I live we have hawks and Ravens, and a chihuahua breeder I was talking to said you have to be very careful. She said a while back they were removing an empty hawk nest from a tree in town(i'm not sure why) but they found a few collars in it.(cat or dog, i'm not sure) :shock:

Glad to hear Gizmo is safe! :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
We have the smame problem here in Okla. There are huge Hawks all over the place. Also have just recently see some large red Fox :shock: I never leave my outside anymore, unless I'm with them.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I had the same experience with Lady In Florida There was a shadow above her I ran and looked it was a huge bird. I had all the kids out in the yard I went to find my ciggy I came out and Sturgis had a huge carcus of a bird, huge feathers scattered all over the yard! That is one time I an say I am glad he has killer insticts lol. I would never had thought one of those birds would go after ma chi's I was too busy worrying about snakes. After seeing the size of that bird there is no doubt in my mind Lady would have been easy to swoop off

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
nabi said:
I totally understand how you feel.....a hawk was after Bella a few weeks ago...my heart was in my mouth !

In a little hamlet near our place, a hawk picked up a chi............it started to get airborne but the chi was a bit too heavy so the hawk dropped it...the poor litle chi died from it's injuries........he was horribly mangled by the claws plus the internal bleeding from the fall.....just a horrible scene!
If anything like that ever happened to Lily I swear I would kill myself. :cry:

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I was younger a childhood friend of mine had a chi and some type of bird literally picked there chi up out of the yard took her to the above tree and after biting into her and realzing she wasn't what the bird wanted the bird dropped her. I am not sure if the bird died from falling out of the air or the bird's claws and beak!! Scary stuff!!! I am in FL too so we have lots of big birds hunting for rats and moles. Right about the same size as a Chi.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts