Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I had a few questions about my Chihuahua, Tico.

So, I'm in college right now, but it's close enough so I can live at home. I have a good chance of getting in Ohio State through transfering, though. My cousin said I can live with her if I get in. Now, this is where the questions arise...

My dog's 8 years old and I can't tell if he thinks he's dominant or not. He's never in his enitre life with us (which has been since he was 7 weeks) humped any one. I know that's now dogs try to dominate people. He listens to me when I tell him to do stuff, I make him work for treats and such. He sometimes, however, does what I tell him very grudingly. He knows he's not supposed to do some things, but he's very sneaky and still insists on doing wrong. Like yesterday, for instance, he decided to take a stroll down the street, which scared the crap out of me :( I ran outside to get him and told him to get in the house. He growled at me the entire time, but still did what I said.
If you noticed, I said that I, myself, make him work for his food. Other people just give him treats for no reason though. I know that's probably confusing him and might have something to do with his attitude.

About moving to my cousin's house. He's met her before, as well as her 4 kids, because they've visited us in the summer/during holidays many times since he was 2 years old. He was never agressive with them. Even when my aunt came down with her Chihuahua mix, he never growled or anything. I'm not worried about Tico with other dogs, because so far he's been really good with other dogs and kids. The weird thing is that he really barks at a lot of new people when they come in the house. My cousin has a new boyfriend and he lives with them now. Tico didn't bark at him at first, when he came in our house, but I think he was freaked out by the amount of people and the excitement in the room or something like that.
The thing is, though, I don't know how he'll act in someone else's house. I mean, I'd think it'd be easy to "re-train" him, if that's the word you want to use, since it's a new environment that he has no attachment to. But I'm not sure. I also want to ask my cousins and aunt how they've trained their dogs because they only bark at the door when someone's there.

So, basically, my real questions are:

Does Tico think he's dominant over me or what?
How will he act in a new household? Will he still act territorial or will he be nervous?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
If he is growling at you then yes he is being dominant and testing his boundaries and has no respect for you.

I also think allowing people to just give him treats for nothing and you giving treats a s reward is confusing. It needs to be one or the other.

As for how he will be when you move I don't know as I don't know your dog, but I do know you need to let others know your rules with your dog and make sure they stick to them.

Giving conflicting rules will coinfuse him and he won't kow what is right or wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured he didn't respect me as much. I don't know why though because he really respects/fears my Grandparents and they just yell at him all the time for no reason. My mom and I are the only ones that put the time into training him to do stuff when he was a puppy, but he hates me now :/
I guess I have to figure out how to get him to respect me, reguardless if we move or not.

I'm not at all worried about rules when I get there. I have rules for him here, but no one listens to me because they think they know everything. Obviously not. Anyway, my cousin and everyone in Ohio are very good with stuff like that, so I'm sure they'll respect my rules and stuff. They only thing I'm worried about there is them trying to put clothes on him.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I figured he didn't respect me as much. I don't know why though because he really respects/fears my Grandparents and they just yell at him all the time for no reason. My mom and I are the only ones that put the time into training him to do stuff when he was a puppy, but he hates me now :/
I guess I have to figure out how to get him to respect me, reguardless if we move or not.

I'm not at all worried about rules when I get there. I have rules for him here, but no one listens to me because they think they know everything. Obviously not. Anyway, my cousin and everyone in Ohio are very good with stuff like that, so I'm sure they'll respect my rules and stuff. They only thing I'm worried about there is them trying to put clothes on him.
Dealing a lot in natural training I understand a lot of the ways of animals and its amazing how people think and assume they know what they are doing around animals or even think they know how their animal thinks.

First of all your your dog will not respect your grandparents, shouting at an animal never gains respect, it may look like they are being obedient but they aren't. Your dog is more likely to be doing as expected from bullying and intimidating, that is a big difference.

As for rules, its no good having rules at home and then not being bothered when somewhere else, as I mentioned before you have to go on as you start and stay consistant. By not keeping to a routine in the way you live with your dog when at other places will only confuse him more.

Clothes, just be firm, you don't want clothes on your dog then make sure no one does this, it will be good practice for you to assert yourself in a positive manner with famuily as this will help you with your dog.

Do you know if your dog reacts left brained or right brained and if he is extrovert or introvert? This also makes a huge difference in how you handle and teach your dog.

Hope this helps :D

Deme x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts