Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I ordered some online.... 5x 6" LOW odor sticks...

I recently went to Pet value.. they had 1 12" stick for 2.99 So I got it... It didn't smell... when I brought it home.. Chester immediately started chewing... I've never seen him so quiet and in one spot for such a long time LOL! It doesn't seem to smell... so that's good...

Here are some questions that crossed my mind...

How long do these sticks last?

How often do you let/give your dog a bully stick?

Pros/con of stick? Is it bad to have a stick around all the time?

Safe to leave the stick alone, with the dog when I am not around?

Thanks ^^.... I will def be getting more.... he is going crazy for it lol.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The length of time bullies last depends on the dog and how big the bullie is to start with. I get thick ones because of the Danes so mine last quite a while for the Chis. They have regular one and skinny ones, which wouldn't last as long. Generally, I give them a 5" stick and it lasts anywhere from overnight to days, depending on who's got it. All my Chis eat them at different rates.

I give them one every week or two. They'd rather have them more often.

I've never had any problems leaving the bullies in their crates and allowing them to chew at will till it's gone. They are totally ingestable and I don't feel the need for mandatory supervision like rawhide.

The only con I can think of relates to leaving one around all the time....the added calories in the bullie. While not extreme, if you're gonna allow them to have one all the time, monitor any weight gain just in case. Also, if he eats is quickly, the richness may overwhelm his system causing soft stool. It should resolve on it's own and once he's used to them, not continue to repeat.

Glad Chester enjoyed his. All mine do and it's the only treat I've found that last longer than 20 minutes for the Danes. Love that they help keep the teeth clean with the chewing and is good busy time for times they need to be inside.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
i leave all the bullies out for dexter. he chews on them when he wants to, he moderates it himself lol. i always stare at him when hes chewin on his bully! he loves them so much :D depending on how much he wants to chew is how long they lasts ^_^ i think there was a member on here that her chi choked on the last bit of it left...so u should watch ur pup and see how far along they are in the bully so there are no chances of that happening. i already know dexter knows how to chew the small ones but u just know i guess? lol :)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Dpeneds on the dog and size of stick. Lola polished a whole stick off in one go once! I just leave them lying around and they chew when they fancy. When they're all gona I wait a few days and then give another

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
May I add to the questions?
What is a "Bully Stick"?? lol
It sounds like something I would like to get for my wee ones.
Thanks
Cheers
Terry
Let me attempt to give some answers around here! All I do is ask questions LOL

Bully sticks are chew treats... or shall I say...processed Bull Penis into a hard long stick, that's like a chew bone...... They are digestible, unlike rawhide which can be dangerous..... My chi goes crazy for it..:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts