Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Millie has had diarrhoea for about 1 day and a half. It looks better in colour now, (just brown), but its still liquid.

She's drinking and playing (and understandably fussy with food). I gave her cooked chicken breast only last night, which she devoured.

I cant see anything in her diarrhoea (looking for worms), but is it possible that this is causing it? I'm not sure whether to give her worming treatment or whether to just keep going with the chicken.

As I said before, she's playing and happy (and drinking water) like usual.
She's 2.3kg (long haired), and she is 18months old.

Advice would be great, thanks in advance.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
How old is she/how long have you had her?

I would fast her for 12-18 hours as long as she is over 2 lbs. This allows her system to calm down.

Do you live near a Petco? Dog Digestive Aids - Digestive Enzymes For Dogs and Digestive Medicine For Dogs from PETCO.com That product works miracles with loose stools.

Giardia or coccidia could be the cause of your pup's diarrhea, in which case she will need medicine.

Or it could just be regular stomach irritation/upset. You can buy plain/lowfat unflavored yogurt (we use dannon) and give 1 teaspoon 2x a day to help get good bacteria back in her gut.

Until her bout of diarrhea is over, I would buy children's unflavored pedialyte and replace 1/2 her water with this. 3-5 times during the day, you should give her water with a syringe. These little guys can dehydrate in the blink of an eye and its all downhill from there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that - the yoghurt is a great idea.
We dont have Petco in Australia (well not in Perth anyway) but I have the hydralite here.

She is drinking normal amounts of water which is good.

She is 18months old and I have had her since she was 14 weeks.

Do you have any advice regarding the worming medication query?

Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I wouldnt leave her much longer with the runs, cause they can get dehydrated fast and can be dangerous.
If was me i would prob go to the vet to have this checked out.
The vet will also know about the worming if needed.
I always just get any worming medication from my vet.
Hope your wee one feels better soon. x

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
We had a similar problem recently I got pro kaolin probiotic paste and it was fab!!

Canned pumpkin apparently works but we can't get that in the uk

I'd starve her too and if it goes on for another 24 hours I'd take her to the vet

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
worms can cause the runs , worm her every 3 mths :) , fast her for 12hours but myself i would worm her first if due .
just remember if she has had fleas she has worms :) .

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone - thanks for all you advice. Took her to the Vets today, he said that he has seen a few dogs with this in the last couple of weeks. She has a very slight temperature and he has given her an antibiotic injection and then some oral antibiotics for the next 5 days. He has said that keeping her on a drip may cause her more stress (due to her fear of people that was sadly created by an emergency vet when she was a pup), which may prolong the diarrohea. She hasnt lost any weight and she isnt dehydrated so he wants us to do home treatment. (Obviously if her status/mood changes, then we'll take her back.

She doesnt have fleas (never has) and he doesnt think that its worms.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
hopefully she is now on the mend :) , Keona had something similar when she was a puppy , the vet sent her home with some syrup that would treat 2 possibility's and it worked wonders :) , hope she is feeling better soon .

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Glad to hear that is wasn't too serious. Keep an eye on her, every once in a while we get a bout of diarrhea or sore throats in some of our patients (I work for a Vet) seems to be in spurts kind of like the flu in people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts