Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may have seen i got chicco yesterday, and he is amazing but i have a question....

can a vet tell you how old your pup is?
when i first got in touch with the seller she said he was 5 months, she kept him for a month for me which would have made him 6 months, but when i got him yesterday she said he was 7 months???? im only curious because he is sooooo tiny (to me), and having not had a chi before i dont know what the right size is.
I was expecting him to be bigger! maybe im just being silly.

thanks
xxxx

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
What does he weigh? Your vet should be able to give you a pretty good idea of his age by the teeth.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does he weigh? Your vet should be able to give you a pretty good idea of his age by the teeth.
im goin to try and weigh him in a bit. i dont know what to say about his teeth..... they dont seem too painful. he does seem to be chewing a lot though. xxx

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Puppies have 28 razor sharp baby teeth and soon lose these baby teeth and replace them with a set of shiny, new permanent teeth. The central and intermediate incisors will come in usually between 2 and 5 months and the corner incisors at around 4 to 5 months. Incisors are the smaller teeth in the front center, used for nibbling and grooming.
Permanent canines usually come in at around 5 months of age. These are the longer teeth in the front corners of the mouth that are used for tearing food.
The first, second, third, and fourth premolars located in the central jaw erupt between 4 and 6 months of age. These are used for grinding food.
Lastly, three molars will appear in the back of the jaw between 5 and 7 months of age. These teeth when used in conjunction with strong jaw muscles are used for crushing

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Puppies have 28 razor sharp baby teeth and soon lose these baby teeth and replace them with a set of shiny, new permanent teeth. The central and intermediate incisors will come in usually between 2 and 5 months and the corner incisors at around 4 to 5 months. Incisors are the smaller teeth in the front center, used for nibbling and grooming.
Permanent canines usually come in at around 5 months of age. These are the longer teeth in the front corners of the mouth that are used for tearing food.
The first, second, third, and fourth premolars located in the central jaw erupt between 4 and 6 months of age. These are used for grinding food.
Lastly, three molars will appear in the back of the jaw between 5 and 7 months of age. These teeth when used in conjunction with strong jaw muscles are used for crushing

from what i can work out by having a look he hasnt got the ones at the back, and thats where he is chewing the most. i'll take him to the vets this week and check but that makes him somewhere between 5 and 7 months.
thanks so much for your help!
xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts