Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, this is my first post and I'll try to keep it brief. My wife and I bought our new and first Chi pup from a breeder when he was four months old, we have had him now for about a month, the breeder reckoned he will be quite small when fully grown, and bordering on a tea cup size, he is blue fawn in colour, with a chocolate nose and an apple dome head...a real little cutie, we named him Frankie btw.

My wife is with him most times during the day, and he rarely leaves her side, in fact he follows her everywhere, which is nice to see...he seems a bright little fellow and is quickly learning the house training process, the problem we have, is the way Frankie reacts toward our Son, who is twenty two and loves animals, and he, like myself, is out working during the day, so here's the problem we have , if Frankie is in a room with my wife and our Son walks in, he starts to bark and growl at him, quite aggressively I might ad, there are only the three of us live in the house btw, and of course, Frankie makes four.

But if our Son then picks him up, he's fine, sometimes a little edgy, but he will curl up and go to sleep on his knee, but that's never voluntarily on Frankie's part, our son always has to pick him up and take him to where he is sitting.

My guess is that Frankie is being protective toward my wife, and if that is the case, why is he just being like this with our Son, and what can we do to stop him behaving like this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I would have your son toss some really lovely treats when he comes into the room. Feed the dog also. It sounds as if the dog is guarding you from him! Try and get the son to be a ' oh goodie, here come some treats' guy!! He'll come around. Try not to push him too fast. Sue

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree. I have a rescue (not Jaden, another one) that hates my grandson and pretty much everyone else but me. I have the grandson sit on the floor or near me with treats and be very still. She is getting nearer and more comfortable with him, but it takes patience. She is VERY protective of me, but needs to learn that I'm safe and I'M in charge and she can relax. It's time to learn boundries.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i agree with the treats all chihs love the food that should nip this in the bud so frankie loves everyone

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
How does your wife react when the puppy growls/barks at your son when he walks into a room?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sounds like Frankie thinks he's the owner of your wife. Seriously. You can certainly try the treat thing but it MAY backfire and he will wind up feeling rewarded for "protecting" his female. I think it's up to your wife to correct that behavior. If Frankie is in her lap and starts the bad behavior when Son walks in, she should quickly correct him with a NO and then put him on the floor. Maybe then Son could give a treat when he quits barking/growling. To me, it sounds like a territorial thing. He thinks your wife belongs to him. Without correction, it can go from bad to worse.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, Gunner is almost 5 months old and just starting to act like this with me (he think I am his female). He gets growly if my kids get too close. So he's looking at the floor alot these days! LOL I wonder if it is the age?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When we took Frankie to get his injections, the Vet asked if we plan to breed him, we don't as a matter of fact, we just want him as a pet, the Vet then informed us, that if that is the case had we thought about castration, apparently castration can help avoid all manner of illnesses in later years, bowel cancer was one.

So I'm wondering, could this maybe kerb his territorial instinct??...any thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts