Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again everyone

I got a few questions and I'm hoping someone can help!

1. At what age should I start really paper training Tequila? I've been told that I won't be able to train her until she's 12 weeks. At the moment, she's weeing just about anywhere, even on her bed :?

2. Does anyone have any tips on paper training and crate training?

3. At what age can you start bathing puppies?

4. When can I start using a harness and teaching her to use a lead, etc.

5. And last but not least, where on earth do you guys get those tiny sweaters?? I've got two XS ones and they don't even begin to fit.

Look forward to hearing from you guys. I'm desperate for advice!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I do custom made to measure sweaters for XS Chi's. There are not BEAR sweaters These are made to fit Chi's with your measurements.

They are not on my website yet but coming soon. If you want to PM me I can tell you more.

I would need measurements and some other information.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
hi sweety

1. you should start paper training her right away, not by discipline but by watching her and getting in tune with her , and picking her up and putting her on paper if she looks like shes going to or is about to start, they tend to wee after waking, playing, eating and drinking and usually every 1-2 hours , it is hard work at first but this bit dosent last that long and its a bit like giving birth you sort of forget how bad it was after a few months :)

2. tips on paper training..............well I would definately get puppy pads or a spray to atract them to the paper, crate training im not sure but i will defianately use that method with my next one

3. I gave ozzy his first bath when he was about 14 weeks

4. you can start teaching her with a harness and lead right away, just putting it on her and let her drag it round for 5 mins

5. I got my tops of the internet , there is a good one called www.petlondon.co.uk, also while she is small dont buy any as they wont fit her in a few months try using socks , cutting of the foot bit and cutting a few slits for her legs :lol:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
If she seems to be going to the bathroom at any given time, I would put her on a food schedule so at least she will start going poo around the same time every day.

I'm not sure about baths, but I use little puppy wipes on Bosco and he loves it. The package says it is safe for puppies and it gives him a clean baby-powder smell.

I have a harness for Bosco at Petsmart (the smallest I could find) but it is still too big - where do all you get your harnesses to fit your chi during the puppy stage?

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Hi, I would suggest crate training and puppy pads. I bought the puppy spray stuff and it didn't work for Mr. Peepers at all. But, the crate and pads worked excellent. When I got Mr. Peepers (8wks old) I immediately crate trained him and used the pads. He took to it right away. He only had 1 accident in his crate and never did again. I would say start as soon as you can, atleast to get them on the right track. Are you planning on crate training? It works great for lots of reasons, not just potty training! :wink:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info ... Tequila is now the proud owner of her very own crate and I've gotten her a packet of puppy pads.

At first, she took to the pads like anything, but now she's found more joy in dragging it all over and playing with it. (especially when it's been used :eek: )

Is that normal?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Yes that is pretty normal ... they sell puppy pad holders so that dogs aren't able to do that...I would suggest you buy one. :)

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Mr. Peepers hasn't done that, thankfully :lol: . I think there was someone else on here that said their dog did that. I seen these things ( I think made of plastic) that they sell that hold down the pads, so they don't bunch up and stuff. Maybe Tequila wouldn't be able to drag it around with one of those attached. :thumbright: I think I seen it at a Petsmart or Petco. I don't know if there is one of those where you live, if not maybe your local pet store carries them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds great, thanks for that!!!

I'll see if our Pet outlet has them.

Will keep you all updated on her progress :lol:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Some great advice here. Here are my 2 cents...

Crate training: They key to this is making sure the crate is "small" enough. You want a crate that they can comfortably move around in, but not large enough that they can go potty in the corner and still comfortably lay down (a puppy will generally never lay in their own pee/poop). This helps with potty training as well. Crates are expensive so if you already have one that might be too big, you can take a piece of cardboard and block some off until he gets bigger.

Bathing: I got Zeus when he was 9 weeks old. I did bathe him then once a week to get him use to baths, but I'd recommend tearless Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo. I used that until Zeus was about 4 months old, then switched to a puppy oatmeal shampoo.

Harness/leash: I started this right away. He would wear his harness when he was outside or inside, but at night I took it off. Under supervision, I'd let him play with his leash so he knew it was his.

Housetraining: The puppy pads work GREAT! Always take the puppy out after playing, eating, or waking up. I kept a puppy pad (and still do) in the kitchen and Zeus would use that if he had to go. At 9 months, he's 95% housetrained (I've heard Chi's take a bit longer, plus he had some medical issues).

Clothes: Zeus doesn't wear much clothing. We live in Florida (today it was 91) and plus it's a tug-of-war to put clothes on him.. haha

Everyone has their own ideas that work. What I suggested seemed to work best for me. Good luck and be sure to post LOTS of pictures.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info guys!

One more question though ... when I KNOW when Tequila has to go potty, whether it's wee's or poo's, she holds it in and no matter how many times I put her on the paper and try to keep her there, she runs off, plays for a while (leading me to believe I've been wrong) and then does it elsewhere!!! And it's never in the same place.

I haven't given up though, I am sticking to it and quickly putting her on the paper when she goes, but with wee's especially, she seems to be able to stop midway totally (so I think she's finished) and then goes AGAIN somewhere else!!! :?

Any advice?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts