Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went for a nice walk this morning. The Chi Wees love their outside time. I had my back yard fenced in last year so they'd be able to run around off leash and play. As of the last few months there has been Hawks swarming over my house. Recently they have started sitting in the trees just waiting. Yesterday morning we had a major scare as one actually tried to dive in. He was just a few feet over my head. When I take them out, I always bring a family member with me in case we have to grab them up fast, and we walk right beside them as they roam the back yard. Thank goodness I have been doing that, because yesterday I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I saw that Hawk that close to us. We grabbed them up in our arms and ran inside. So we'll be taking leashed walks until I can figure out how to get rid of the Hawks.

Please excuse Chance's Princess Crown harness. His chest has increased in size since his neutering, so his others are tight on him. They have velcro to adjust, but I feel safer when they are closed with the full length of the velcro. So until his new Puppia comes in that I ordered over the weekend, he'll be a Princess. :lol:

Lexie

Chance

Gia

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Great outdoor shots! Do you worry about the cactus? Brody would be a goober and go stick his nose in one, I just know it.

Scary about the hawks!!

Brodysmom

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great outdoor shots! Do you worry about the cactus? Brody would be a goober and go stick his nose in one, I just know it.

Scary about the hawks!!

Brodysmom
Thank you Tracy! :) Nah, they don't try to mess with the Cactus. They are to busy trying to get to the next mail box, or patch of grass so they can pee on it. :lol:

The Hawks are scaring me to death! And after yesterday, I'm not taking them back out there off leash until those things go away. And poor Jade can't wear a harness yet, so she is stuck inside.

Here is the smaller Hawk sitting in a tree just outside my fence line. It's a dead tree and needs to be cut down. I guess they like it because it is easy to see from.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
OMG T, same thing over here. I had a hawk get so close to me two days ago that I started to actually shake. You know, I lost a cat to a hawk a couple of summers ago and have been so scared ever since then. I won't go out with them either without the girls or Andrew. It's too scary. The skies can be totally clear and as soon as I get out with them, they come around.

Your pictures are awesome. They look like they are having such a great time. Poor Jade. Her time will come. :D

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
can you cut the tree down? is it in someone else's yard, or yours? or no one's? If it is in someone else's yard i would simply point out to them that it is a hazard for lightning strikes and dead wood burns hot and quick...that might get their attention...if it is yours, cut it down...if it is no one's....cut or push/pull it down on the sly.....it won't hurt anyone for a dead tree to be removed and the hawks won't have as many perches to watch your babies from. and it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission sometimes.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
They're all so pretty. I just adore little Gia and her beautiful face and coat.

I feel you on the hawk situation. We had a bad scare a few years ago with Poppet and Boo. They were standing right next to my neighbor as he worked on his car, and two hawks circled as low as human height right on top of them. I screamed my head off and came running. I honest-to-God would have never thought of dogs being hawk prey prior to this incident. In fact, my vet didn't believe me when I told him. It wasn't until a lady with a similar story came in with her pom to get the puncture marks treated (hers was actually taken into the air a bit before the hawk dropped it) that he apologized and believed me. What's worse is that they were willing to take the plunge right there was a human not more than four feet away. Scary.

Luckily for me, the area I live in has little to no trees, so spotting one is fairly easy and they can't lie in wait. Still...there's a danger of it, especially with my smaller ones. Gosh, Tilly could actually be stalked and killed by a regular ole cat, she's so dainty and small. I can't imagine having four little, little ones to oversee and protect.

Try looking for hawk deterrents. I've been browsing the chicken boards (who have the most run-ins with hawks) and they've mentioned some interesting, safe, and legal methods to deter these winged harbingers of death. ;) Bird bombs, statues of a great horned owl (preferrably one with glittering eyes that give the impression it's alive and there's movement coming from it), calling in state falconers to relocate, and temporarily placing carpeting with nails driven through to the underside of limbs to prevent landings are some of the ideas being bandied about.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Can you make some sort of framework with rabbit wire/mesh fixed on it and give them a run to go walk and play in outside, like a cat run?

3,132 Posts
Cute pics, we have hawks here that fly right over my house. The biggest reason why Bailey has a potty box! I would die if anything happened to him! :(

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OMG T, same thing over here. I had a hawk get so close to me two days ago that I started to actually shake. You know, I lost a cat to a hawk a couple of summers ago and have been so scared ever since then. I won't go out with them either without the girls or Andrew. It's too scary. The skies can be totally clear and as soon as I get out with them, they come around.

Your pictures are awesome. They look like they are having such a great time. Poor Jade. Her time will come. :D
Yeah girl, that's what I did too. You get so scared that it pumps up your adrenaline, and you start trembling. I hate that feeling.

I wouldn't have known the darn things were even a danger until reading it different places. Before I had my fence put in, I always walked the pups on a leash. But in the Summer months it gets so hot here that it was hard on all of us walking in the heat. Plus, I love to walk a few times a week, but twice a day every day was getting old. :lol: Anyway, I just starting seeing the Hawks this Summer. I had no idea they were so darn brave around people.

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. :( I know you must have been heartbroken.

can you cut the tree down? is it in someone else's yard, or yours? or no one's? If it is in someone else's yard i would simply point out to them that it is a hazard for lightning strikes and dead wood burns hot and quick...that might get their attention...if it is yours, cut it down...if it is no one's....cut or push/pull it down on the sly.....it won't hurt anyone for a dead tree to be removed and the hawks won't have as many perches to watch your babies from. and it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission sometimes.
The tree is just over our property line, but belongs to the neighbors behind us. He had a bunch of trees cut down recently, I'm not sure why he left that one. But I am going to have to talk to them, because that's the Hawks favorite hang out. It overlooks my backyard, and they can see every time we are out there.

Teresa...Great pics of the outdoor!!...LOL that Chance is wearing princess harness....:)...
Thanks Moni. Poor Chancey. I hate putting that Princess harness on him, but his little chest blossomed after being neutered, so his are tight. I have a Puppia coming in the next few days. :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They're all so pretty. I just adore little Gia and her beautiful face and coat.

I feel you on the hawk situation. We had a bad scare a few years ago with Poppet and Boo. They were standing right next to my neighbor as he worked on his car, and two hawks circled as low as human height right on top of them. I screamed my head off and came running. I honest-to-God would have never thought of dogs being hawk prey prior to this incident. In fact, my vet didn't believe me when I told him. It wasn't until a lady with a similar story came in with her pom to get the puncture marks treated (hers was actually taken into the air a bit before the hawk dropped it) that he apologized and believed me. What's worse is that they were willing to take the plunge right there was a human not more than four feet away. Scary.

Luckily for me, the area I live in has little to no trees, so spotting one is fairly easy and they can't lie in wait. Still...there's a danger of it, especially with my smaller ones. Gosh, Tilly could actually be stalked and killed by a regular ole cat, she's so dainty and small. I can't imagine having four little, little ones to oversee and protect.

Try looking for hawk deterrents. I've been browsing the chicken boards (who have the most run-ins with hawks) and they've mentioned some interesting, safe, and legal methods to deter these winged harbingers of death. ;) Bird bombs, statues of a great horned owl (preferrably one with glittering eyes that give the impression it's alive and there's movement coming from it), calling in state falconers to relocate, and temporarily placing carpeting with nails driven through to the underside of limbs to prevent landings are some of the ideas being bandied about.
Yeah, Hawks are brave. That one yesterday was just maybe 2 feet above my head. I could see the shadow of his wings spread wide open. It scared the living crap out of me. Had we all not started screaming and rushing to get the pups inside, it probably would have came on down further and scopped one up. It just sends chills down my spine thinking about it. I would literally flip out if something happened to one of them.

I think my family was kinda wondering how much truth there was to the fact that the Hawks would get the pups too. They were like, "are you sure they would really do that?" I said you better believe it, it happens everyday. My Dad spends most of the day outside piddling around, so he comes in to tell me every time he sees one now. :lol: He says, "don't let the babies outside, the Hawks are out in the trees." And after Sunday seeing them scoop down so low, they all are firm believers.

Even if they get them in the air and drop them, it would kill them. Not to mention the havoc their claws would wreck on them. I just hate thinking about the whole scenario, but you can't help it.

I'm glad to hear that you don't have many problems with the Hawks. It's a constant worry when you know they are lurking.

I have been meaning to call around to see what can be done about them being out here. I have no clue how to get rid of them, and I certainly hope at some point we don't have to fear these things daily. I did hear about putting the Owl statues out, but I would still be nervous.

Can you make some sort of framework with rabbit wire/mesh fixed on it and give them a run to go walk and play in outside, like a cat run?
That's a great idea. I'll have to talk to my husband and Dad, and see what maybe they could put together for me. Thanks for the tip. :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all so much for the sweet comments on the pups pictures. :D We very much appreciate them all!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Darling pics...they just love to go outside!
We have lots of hawks and owls here in the CA. desert too. When we move up to Washington it will be even worse...lots of wild critters everywhere! My husband wants to build a fenced -in dog run with fencing on the top so they are completely enclosed. That way they can run and play when I'm close by them gardening. That is the only I will let them outside.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Great pictures. I really love the one of the hawk! Out here I'm more worried about owls at night. I live in the country and at night its so dark here that I would never be able to see them coming.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Darling pics...they just love to go outside!
We have lots of hawks and owls here in the CA. desert too. When we move up to Washington it will be even worse...lots of wild critters everywhere! My husband wants to build a fenced -in dog run with fencing on the top so they are completely enclosed. That way they can run and play when I'm close by them gardening. That is the only I will let them outside.
Thank you! :)

It's just crazy all of the things we have to worry about with these little guys. Makes you Grey before your time. :lol:

I'm going to have to look into a dog run. It is just to hot to walk twice a day here right now.

Great pictures. I really love the one of the hawk! Out here I'm more worried about owls at night. I live in the country and at night its so dark here that I would never be able to see them coming.
Thank you! :)

We live in the Country too, no street lights. Pitch black out here other than people's porch lights. I don't even try to go outside after dark. We have to many snakes creeping around. I would DIE if I stepped on one!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts