Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen dresses like this for children on etsy but I wanted one for Daisy. So through my fabric stash I wen through and came up with this.

Of course once it was done I had to do some altering because it was too long on the sides for her. But I have to say I'm actually pretty happy. Especially since I figured out how to ruffle without a special attachment for my sewing machine.

I'm thinking about adding ruffles around the neck and arm areas but I'll probably wait and see.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your making me want to sew a dress with all your dress pic posts! Do you mind sharing some tips on where to measure?
Believe it or not I actually eye it. I made a trial one out of crappy fabric. Than if it was too small or big, I used my fingers to measure how much more fabric I needed.

I also found a pattern that was for a coat and altered it into a harness and than added on the skirt part. I also added onto the velcro areas too to make more sizeable. I also use longer soft side of the velcro so that you can adjust the size, where as the harsher velrco is a small square. I perfer to think the softer is easier against the dogs body than the harsher side.

I started this dress last night by cutting out the harness part with the pattern and than just cut strips of fabric like steps one larger than the next and than accidently learned how to ruffle on my sewing machine and layered on top of each other, which was not easy because it got thick.

I mainly sew for sanity right now since my art room needs to be totally cleaned and reorganized before I can attack some resin projects that need to be finished.

There are some cute patterns by Miss Daisy Design but I can't fathom buying a pattern if I can find one for free or make my own.

Your welcome to check out my profile and check out my fb page and see the things I've made.

I have also found that those quilter blocks for about 1.00 can make a whole outfit if you want a simple one. A whole outfit for a 1.00 plus the thread and anything you else you want to add isnt bad. I'm also the scrap pile hunter too when I go to a store with fabric.

I'm hoping to finish a fancy dress soon for Daisy out of shiny fabric that I have.

Sorry if I rattled on I love crafts.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love it. This might motivate me to get sewing with all the fabric I have piled up for Eva and Leah.
I actually have the fabric left over from doll dresses I was making. I have a dresser with a large drawer, and that drawer that is filled with fabric.

So far Hobby Lobby and Walmart has got the best left over pile prices ever. Joannes is still kinda pricey for their scrap bin selection, I think.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Believe it or not I actually eye it. I made a trial one out of crappy fabric. Than if it was too small or big, I used my fingers to measure how much more fabric I needed.

I also found a pattern that was for a coat and altered it into a harness and than added on the skirt part. I also added onto the velcro areas too to make more sizeable. I also use longer soft side of the velcro so that you can adjust the size, where as the harsher velrco is a small square. I perfer to think the softer is easier against the dogs body than the harsher side.

I started this dress last night by cutting out the harness part with the pattern and than just cut strips of fabric like steps one larger than the next and than accidently learned how to ruffle on my sewing machine and layered on top of each other, which was not easy because it got thick.

I mainly sew for sanity right now since my art room needs to be totally cleaned and reorganized before I can attack some resin projects that need to
be finished.

There are some cute patterns by Miss Daisy Design but I can't fathom buying a pattern if I can find one for free or make my own.

Your welcome to check out my profile and check out my fb page and see the things I've made.

I have also found that those quilter blocks for about 1.00 can make a whole outfit if you want a simple one. A whole outfit for a 1.00 plus the thread and anything you else you want to add isnt bad. I'm also the scrap pile hunter too
when I go to a store with fabric.

I'm hoping to finish a fancy dress soon for Daisy out of shiny fabric that I have.

Sorry if I rattled on I love crafts.
LOl, its ok u were very informative! Thank you! I love crafts too but tend to tire very easily and hate cleaning up at the end lol. And yes, sewing the ruffling on a sewing machine does seem a little difficult, i think i would prob have to sew that by hand because i have a small sewing machine. I cant wait to try making my own dresses! Thank u so much Krittermom!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tired easily too. Thats why I have so many crafts, so I can change through out and not get bored. So far cleaning up from knitting, cross stitching and sewing is the most easiest clean up job out of all my crafts. The rest I either end up with stained hands or very sticky hands, or screaming at beads.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL I agree with the thread, I usually have to chase down a cat or slap a cat away which usually ends up with me getting slapped back by them. Knitting I have to be careful because my son will take off with the ball of yarn and the next thing I know my house looks like a huge web attacked it.

I so need to get a hot glue gun. I think thats about the only thing I don't have in my art room.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Ginger you are on fire! You really are on a roll! :p
Your designs keep getting nicer and nicer. Love your crafts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.