Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! My name is Kayla and I've been lurking on this forum researching the breed - I swear I've read pretty much every thread on this forum ever since I decided I wanted a Chi!

If this seems like a really stupid post, or it doesn't make sense - I apologize. I am horrible at explaining things! I've been wanting a dog for awhile. I've never owned one personally - however growing up my parents always had a large dog - so I've never had a small dog around me. (Unless you count the ferret that I used to own, Malibu (RIP) - She was very dog like and needed A LOT of attention.) I've always wanted a lap dog - I've finally talked my boyfriend into letting me have one once we move out of the place we are living or end up buying it - as our landlords will not allow dogs. =( But, I've been researching Chi's and want to buy a lot of stuff in advance so I have it. I also want to save for getting him neutered (I want a boy - and I've already chosen a name - Bentley!)

I plan on training Bentley to be litter / pee pad trained. As well as crate trained. - Sometimes I work 8 hour days (Usually 2 a week) - and I know leaving your Chi home alone that long is going to bed hard. Of course when I get home there will be a lot of Bentley time!

I know that when you try to pee pad / litter train him you need him to be in a small place so he doesn't poo or pee on the floor or in other corners rather than going on the pad - but if I leave him in a small crate for 8 hours, I would feel WAY too bad - ESP with no food & water. So, is there any way to pee pad / litter train him inside of a play pen? Should I get two litter boxes (that way I am not constantly moving one from it's original spot into the play pen - doing this could confuse him?) or make the play pen around where his litter box always is? The play pen would be big enough for toys, bed & food / water including the litter box - much better than a crate for 8 hours. Would this be okay? Or would it screw up pee pad training him? Should I not do this until he's completely trained?

Also, if I only litter box train him - will he NEVER do his deed outside - like if we're walking or something? Will he expect me to whip out a pee pad for him to go on? Lol. Now that I type it out it seems stupid - but I want to know everything I possibly can so that I can be a great Mommy =)

Thank you for any help! And any other tips for a new Chi owner would be great, too! Thanks for reading!

EDITED TO ADD: I would be also have a feeding schedule. However would this throw everything off if I put some food in the pen so he had it while I was at work. I would not leave a dog without food for 8 hours!

And what's the average size of clothes that Chi's grow into? I've seen more Chi's wear XS or XXS shirts rather than S, but is this because they are babies?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! It's great that you want to be prepaired before you get your Chi and that you have taken the time to find out exactly what you need to do to get your dog into a good routine.

Firstly I don't think it's bad at all that your pup will have a few days a week where he will be alone for a good stretch of time. He will learn to independant and this should sort out any seperation anxiety issues from the start.
I would definitely go for the pen, 8 hrs is too long in a crate. If you have his food and bedding at one end he will naturally want to go potty at the other end where you place the pads. When you're home I would then leave the door of the pen open so he can still go on the pad in that place so it becomes his designated spot and he isn't confused about where to go. When you're home make sure this is the spot you are regularly taking your pup to. Don't worry about getting him off schedule with free feeding in the pen, I found that mine just peed and pooped all the time no matter whet schedule they were on when they were little!
When my pups were little I did have pads in 2 spots as they had a tendancy to use them if they were in eyesight but they would sometimes go elsewhere if they weren't near the pads. I didn't have any issues cutting down to 1 spot once they were better trained. I do leave 2 pads in their spot because they are picky about using them once they are soiled.
Mine wouldn't go outside at first but after about a month of regular walks 2x daily they got the idea and they now usually go outside when they are out and about. If you have a special word you use when training on the pads this should help with the outside training too.

On the clothing, it just depends on your dog so look at the parents for guidance.

The only other recommendations I would give you is to be really picky about selectibg your breeder. As well as good lines you want to make sure the puppy's are raised in a home environment with a breeder who puts a lot of time into socializing them. Also do some research into good quality food and be sure to supplement this with bones for dental health right from day one - chicken wing tips are a great size for pups.

Good luck and can't wait so see your pup when he arrives :)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
this one here was a very scrtily piddle pad trained dog...I had to take a piddle pad to the beach...then all of a sudden he was close to a year old maybe--can't remenber exactly---he went outside and wow--he is a two way dog...haha. The odd thing was I had his neuter done at 5 months but he is a leg lifter... To have a wee hi lifts his leg so high--very funny--he obviously doesn't remeber being neutered:p...
It is good that he has a wee pad for when he is at home but i take him out first thing every morning for his piddle.

As Rico got older I increased the size of the space he was left in during the work day....now he has the first floor-stairs are gated. However in the begining he was in a tiny room with all of his things, an oped door crate , a bed, toys, piddle pads, water, food...Now I try to feed him as I leave. I use a food ball--kidbble inside a ball--takes time to eat like a game. He also have some of those Nina Ottossonn games--those are really fun (one was a pressie from a member here)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts