Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, I'm sure it was better than mine :(

On christmas night we were relaxing at my parents house in the country after a lovely family lunch. Then for some reason my mum who has had both knees replaced and carpal tunnel in both wrists decided to try and pick up axle and Chloe at the same time, one in each hand. I'm not sure if it was the wrists or the knees but she stumbled and dropped Chloe.

My poor little one screamed for about 3 minutes and when I finally calmed her down enough to have a look at her we could clearly see her left hip was dislocated.

Luckily there was an emergency vet in town so my hubby and I rushed her in straight away. By the time the vet saw us the joint had somehow popped its self back in thank goodness - I don't know if I would have been able to watch it being put back in. She was given anti inflammatories and an X-ray to make sure it was back in properly and that there was nothing else damaged and thank goodness it was all clear. There is a small risk of damage to the blood supply of the limb which means that it may always be weak, we're keeping our fingers crossed that it doesn't go that way but only time will tell:(

Today she's quite lethargic and can't put any weight on her leg. We are icing it every 2 hours and trying to keep her quiet and comfortable. We called in to the vet on our way home this morning so she could give her another look over and she was happy with her progress so we took some comfort from that. Axle is so worried about her, he keeps running over to her bed and sniffing her and giving her kisses. She's getting lots of pats and cuddles especially from her daddy, she's a real daddy's girl and he was almost in tears when he saw her leg was dislocated.

I know my mum feels terrible about it but I'm pretty upset with her, it was a really stupid thing to do. I don't pick them up like that and all of my arms and legs work so I just don't know what I was thinking. I'm sure it will just take a few days for me to get over it. I also feel a bit guilty myself, little Chloe depends on me to look after her and I put her in a bad situation and she got hurt:(

Hopefully my little girl will be on the mend within the next few days. Luckily I have 2 weeks off work so I will be able to keep an eye on her and give her all the care and attention she needs to get better.

Sorry for the long post, just needed to vent to people who understand how stressful it is. We don't have children so our dogs are our babies and it's so awful when they are in pain or sick or injured.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
People miscalculate the ease of handling these tiny little dogs all the time. Diesel is my smallest at 2 1/2 lbs, but he's also my squirmiest, so I dare not pick him up at the same time I'm carrying another one - I know I can't hang on to both of them.

I'm sorry it happened, but hopefully everything will be fine, and I bet your mom feels terrible. It could happen to anyone.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Oh Sarah, I'm sorry to hear that. Luckily it wasn't anything worse.
I hope little Chloe recovers quickly. And I understand it's an extremely scary scenario,
but I'm sure your mom feels bad enough, so try to not hold a grudge. It was just an
accident, I'm sure she didn't mean any harm. And don't blame yourself either, like Kim
said, it can happen to anyone, no matter how careful one might be. Keep us updated
on how Chloe does. Hugs.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
so sorry about the accident. That's just what is was, an accident. I hope the hip gets better each day. I'm sure it is swollen and sore inside. The ice is good for the first 48 hours - 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. Then warmth will help afterwards. Good luck with your baby! Sue

·
Registered
99 Posts
Poor Chloe, I hope she has a quick recovery. Your mum must be feeling just awful even though it was just an accident. Don't blame yourself either, like with children, you can't protect them 100% of the time and unfortunately accidents will happen.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm so sorry, I hope little Chloe is feeling better soon.
And like everyone else here said I bet your mom is feeling pretty bad, I hope you can forgive her.
Sadly it sounds like something I'd do, I'd only mean the best but I can be clumsy sometimes and not think making the same mistake. I hope you and your mom will be ok.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened to your chi. It's so tough when our dogs are hurt or ill. Please keep us updated on her progress.I really hope your chi will be all better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts